Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNA Analysis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Free-2-Flow

spurious wrote:
    Yes you can. In ancestry, go to your tree. Beside the name of the tree click the down arrow and go into Settings. Under 'Manage your tree' click 'Export' choose GEDCOM and it will generate a GEDCOM file that you can download and then upload to GEDMatch.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Bit the bullet a couple of months ago and my mother took the test via Ancestry... Results came back last Friday.

I'm still sifting through matches but I've found my maternal grandmother's birth family so I'm just over the moon!

Just to add... My grandmother was "adopted" in 1926 so finding her birth family is fantastic. I'm just sorry I didn't do it sooner (she has dementia so wouldn't understand).

Since Friday I have been contacted by five other matches - two of whom I think are linked to my grandmother's birth father (of whom we know nothing about).

Exciting times ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 tommyirl

No, you need a DNA result from a company such as OneFam, Ancestry, LivingDNA etc before you can go to GedMacth. Gedmatch matches DNA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 fflynn

tommyirl wrote: »
    No, you need a DNA result from a company such as OneFam, Ancestry, LivingDNA etc before you can go to GedMacth. Gedmatch matches DNA.

not true..
    I haven't taken a DNA test, but I've uploaded my family tree to gedmatch.com

My tree is then searchable by other users and I can compare my gedcom file against other users

see the section:
    Genealogy
    1 GEDCOM to all
    2 GEDCOMs
    Search all GEDCOMs Revised

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

So my father's AncestryDNA results came in this morning:

dad.png

100% European
    Ireland: 95% (Range 81-100%)
    Trace Regions:
    Great Britain: 3% (Range: 0-13%)
    Europe West: 2% (Range 0-10%)

Genetic Communities:
    Ulster Irish: Confidence = 60%
    Irish in Ulster East: Confidence = 20%
    Munster Irish: Confidence = 20%

Ulster-Irish.png

Irish-Ulster-East.png

My own results (old image but percentages same)
    ancestrydna.png

My range for Ireland is 77-100%. It will be interesting when my mother's results come in (hopefully in next week) how it compares. With regards to genetic communities I had:
    Munster Irish: Confidence = 95%
    Irish in Southern Ireland: Confidence = 60%

To explain my family background a bit. My father was born in Athlone, however his father was from Belfast and his mother was from East Galway/South Roscommon. Of his 4 grandparents one was 'Liverpool Irish' and another was from Cork. My mother's family in comparison was all from South Galway/North Clare.

From a Y-DNA point of view my earliest MDKA that I can trace was born in Derry, though it's possible that his father was from Donegal (this is back in the 1860's)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Mine came in today too. I'm still processing and will post up a comparison with my FTDNA results asap.

Really quite similar. Ancestry just has me in one genetic community: Munster Irish. I have ancestors from Limerick but almost all others from Dublin.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Irishweather

dubhthach wrote: »
    So my father's AncestryDNA results came in this morning:

dad.png

100% European
    Ireland: 95% (Range 81-100%)
    Trace Regions:
    Great Britain: 3% (Range: 0-13%)
    Europe West: 2% (Range 0-10%)

Genetic Communities:
    Ulster Irish: Confidence = 60%
    Irish in Ulster East: Confidence = 20%
    Munster Irish: Confidence = 20%

Ulster-Irish.png

Irish-Ulster-East.png

My own results (old image but percentages same)
    ancestrydna.png

My range for Ireland is 77-100%. It will be interesting when my mother's results come in (hopefully in next week) how it compares. With regards to genetic communities I had:
    Irish in Southern Ireland: Confidence = 60%

To explain my family background a bit. My father was born in Athlone, however his father was from Belfast and his mother was from East Galway/South Roscommon. Of his 4 grandparents one was 'Liverpool Irish' and another was from Cork. My mother's family in comparison was all from South Galway/North Clare.

From a Y-DNA point of view my earliest MDKA that I can trace was born in Derry, though it's possible that his father was from Donegal (this is back in the 1860's)
    Interesting.  Would it be worth me doing this DNA test that you have done, to identify whereabouts my ancestry originates? I'm from Northern Ireland so it could show up results from anywhere in the British Isles.

I'm keen to get accurate results that don't just say 'Ulster Irish', so I would want the DNA results going back at least 500 years. Would this be guaranteed with this test? I assume it's Ancestry DNA.
    I was going to purchase this test, but then I read reviews online. Apparently, Irish test results skew towards GB.
    https://www.livingdna.com/en-gb/uk-regional-breakdown
    I'm keen to get results which are accurate and have a high degree of precision so I that I could be confident that the locations listed are relevant to my ancestry.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

I'm keen to get accurate results that don't just say 'Ulster Irish'

I'm not sure what you would be after then. No test is going to tell you your ancestors were from Gortfad and Coolafinny. The results that have been posted are what you get.

Then there's also the fact that even if the results were that specific, your DNA is not a mirror of your family tree. It's not meant to be taken at face value.

Living DNA is bit too new, they are really waiting on the results of the "Irish DNA Atlas" -- supposedly an update on that will be presented in the RDS in October.

The above test is from Ancestry, the genetic communities feature is still Beta. I imagine it will improve over time. What helps in their regard is that they have such a large database. In my father case given his 'mixed' background (eg. Belfast, Birkenhead, Cork, East Connacht), he gets a generic "Ulster Irish" (at 60% confidence!)-- however they do have some more specific communities within context of each region. In Ulster I see following:
    • Irish in East Ulster (which by way stretches down to Dublin!)
    • Irish in North Midlands (Dublin, Louth, North Meath, Monaghan, Cavan, Leitrim)
    • Irish in Donegal East
    • Irish in Donegal Southwest
    • Irish in Derry and Inishowen

Makes me wonder if the 'Donegal East' community is representative of fact that there was plantation settlement in East Donegal (Laggan) which as a result led to distinct 'genetic community' forming due to admixture (compare to Inishowen and SW Donegal)

Ancestry-Ulster.png

If you had significant admixture in the last 200 years than it should show up. Here are their clusters for Britain:

Scots:
    Ancestry-Scots.png

Northern English:
    Ancestry-NEnglish.png

East Midlands/Northerner
    Ancestry-EMid-North.png

Wales/East-Midlander
    Ancestry-Welsh-WMid.png

Southern English:
    Ancestry-SEnglish.png

My mother's results have now come in.

mum.png

98% European
    Ireland: 94% (Range 86-100%)
    Low Confidence Regions:
    Iberian Peninsula: 2% (Range: 0-7%)
    Great Britain: <1% (Range 0-6%)
    Finland/Northwest Russia: <1% (Range: 0-3%)
    2% Asia
    Low Confidence Region
    Asia Central: 2% (Range: 0-3%)

Genetic Communities:
    Irish in Southern Ireland: Confidence = 95%
    Connacht Irish: Confidence = 20%
    Irish in Galway: Confidence = 20%
    Irish in North Connacht: Confidence = 20%

To put that into perspective my mother is from North Clare, other then her surname (Which is probably of 16th century english origin) all of her other grandparents carried Clare surnames (Dál gCais -- O'Brien, McMahon, McNamara etc.), her paternal line aside from the English sounding surname had actually come from South Galway. So not huge surprise to see a low confidence Connacht/Galway community showing up there.

What has me curious is that Ancestry has myself at 89% Ireland (range 77-100%) which is noticeably less than both my parents (94% and 95%). I wonder if this is result of fact that when my test was done they had a smaller Irish reference population to compare it with, or is it case that one of two of my other components are inflated (or deflated in case of my parents). It is interesting that I show up 3% Finland/NW Russia but in my mother's case it's <1%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

Interesting.  Would it be worth me doing this DNA test that you have done, to identify whereabouts my ancestry originates? I'm from Northern Ireland so it could show up results from anywhere in the British Isles.

I'm keen to get accurate results that don't just say 'Ulster Irish', so I would want the DNA results going back at least 500 years. Would this be guaranteed with this test? I assume it's Ancestry DNA.
    I was going to purchase this test, but then I read reviews online. Apparently, Irish test results skew towards GB.
    https://www.livingdna.com/en-gb/uk-regional-breakdown
    I'm keen to get results which are accurate and have a high degree of precision so I that I could be confident that the locations listed are relevant to my ancestry.

Well from the results that I've seen, Irish results don't skew towards Great Britain. My aunt got 99% Irish with <1% Great Britain and I got 96% Irish with 2% Great Britain. You should only get 1% or 2% Great Britain and not much more if you're fully Irish and people have gotten 100%. Hopefully in time Living DNA would give you more of what you're after but at the moment Living DNA has a much higher skew towards Great Britain. Compared to 96% Irish on Ancestry, I only got 19.6% with Living DNA. You can still test with them now because your results will be updated but we can't say how accurate it will be for Ireland until the update has been introduced.

To put that into perspective my mother is from North Clare, other then her surname (Which is probably of 16th century english origin) all of her other grandparents carried Clare surnames (Dál gCais -- O'Brien, McMahon, McNamara etc.), her paternal line aside from the English sounding surname had actually come from South Galway. So not huge surprise to see a low confidence Connacht/Galway community showing up there.

What has me curious is that Ancestry has myself at 89% Ireland (range 77-100%) which is noticeably less than both my parents (94% and 95%). I wonder if this is result of fact that when my test was done they had a smaller Irish reference population to compare it with, or is it case that one of two of my other components are inflated (or deflated in case of my parents). It is interesting that I show up 3% Finland/NW Russia but in my mother's case it's <1%.

I think that you might have just happened to inherit the DNA that matches with regions outside of Ireland. When did you test your DNA? I tested mine back in about November and got 96%. If you tested a good bit before that, it could be due to a smaller database but I'm not sure, do Ancestry ask where your grandparents came from or any of that when getting a test?

Thanks everyone.

I have been looking into Ancestry DNA. The price quoted on the Front page is £79 which is £99 with Delivery included. On the payment page I am quoted £69 without delivery?

Is this £89 the price I am going to be charged or is it a glitch? Confused.

srmf5 wrote: »
    I think that you might have just happened to inherit the DNA that matches with regions outside of Ireland. When did you test your DNA? I tested mine back in about November and got 96%. If you tested a good bit before that, it could be due to a smaller database but I'm not sure, do Ancestry ask where your grandparents came from or any of that when getting a test?

Well that image I posted has a timestamp of 21st of March 2015, so I would like to say it was late 2014 early 2015. So an age ago compare to most of ye Johnny come lately's ;)

Back at the time I recall them having a blog post which stated that the average Irish person in their database was coming back as something like 85% Irish component.

I've been waiting for them to update their admixture calculator. They supposedly had a beta version in place last year, which (a) added extra components (b) merged 'Great Britain' with half of 'Western Europe' (Eg. french half -- Germans were spilt off into Central Europe)

I think i'll be waiting a while either way.

Needless to say there is issue that some of my components grossly exceed the equivalent that my parents have. So for example 'Finnish/NW Russian' doesn't show up in my father at all, and I have 3x what my mother has. Normally you would expect to either have same amount or perhaps up to 50% level of a specific component that a parent has.

It's worth remembering that what AncestryDNA call 'Irish' is really a genetic component with wider geographic distubution than just Ireland. It just happens to be modal in modern Irish population. However all regions in Britain will have a certain percentage of 'Irish' likewise for people from Northern France. This hints that the component is probably more reflective of a population dynamics of Bronze/Iron ages.

The British component by way is extremely close to the 'Western European' one, so close that in Beta calculator they merged it with the French part of 'Western European' producing a component called 'British/Western European'

Well that image I posted has a timestamp of 21st of March 2015, so I would like to say it was late 2014 early 2015. So an age ago compare to most of ye Johnny come lately's ;)

Back at the time I recall them having a blog post which stated that the average Irish person in their database was coming back as something like 85% Irish component.

I've been waiting for them to update their admixture calculator. They supposedly had a beta version in place last year, which (a) added extra components (b) merged 'Great Britain' with half of 'Western Europe' (Eg. french half -- Germans were spilt off into Central Europe)

I think i'll be waiting a while either way.

Needless to say there is issue that some of my components grossly exceed the equivalent that my parents have. So for example 'Finnish/NW Russian' doesn't show up in my father at all, and I have 3x what my mother has. Normally you would expect to either have same amount or perhaps up to 50% level of a specific component that a parent has.

Fair enough. That was a fair while ago all right so it could have been due to sample size. Ancestry don't really seem to update results. I didn't know your parents' full percentages either so I didn't know if you could have gotten the Finnish ancestry from both your parents thus giving you a larger percentage than either parent.

srmf5 wrote: »
    Fair enough. That was a fair while ago all right so it could have been due to sample size. Ancestry don't really seem to update results. I didn't know your parents' full percentages either so I didn't know if you could have gotten the Finnish ancestry from both your parents thus giving you a larger percentage than either parent.

Further up the thread, posted both my parents examples, here's the recap.

Dad:
    dad.png

Mum:
    mum.png

Now if Ancestry update their calculator with more components (eg. more finegrained say Asian, or perhaps East African specific component, or spilt some of European ones eg. Add the Sardinian one) they will recalculate all the admixture results in their database. Of course given their growth rate they might hold off on that, as I imagine it will take good bit of computing power to do several million results.

Is the Irish the last few hundred years? It says "thousands of years", but wasn't Ireland covered in ice as an Ice Age during that time period?

Is the Irish the last few hundred years? It says "thousands of years", but wasn't Ireland covered in ice as an Ice Age during that time period?

I don't believe so. Newgrange was built c 3200 BC. You could say 2000 years is thousands of years and Newgrange is 5000 years old.

This website http://www.wesleyjohnston.com/users/ireland/past/pre_norman_history/iceage.html claims that only Ulster was covered in ice 15,000 years ago and 13,000 years ago there were grass and trees growing.

8000 BC to 7000 BC is supposed to be when there was the first evidence of human settlement.

Going by recent ancient DNA evidence the major event that appears to shape modern Irish population is the transition from the Neolithic to the Copper/Bronze age, where we first see the appearance of admixture from a population that originated on the Eurasian Steppe. There's a number of papers out there (for example from Reich lab in Harvard) which postulates that this represents the spread of Proto-Indo-European speakers. The Neolithic population in Western Europe (including those who built Newgrange) appear closest to modern Sardinians (and Basques to extent) than they do to modern populations in North/Western Europe.

Of course what should be mentioned is that all European populations can be modelled as admixed between a number of ancient populations. The variations between populations been driven by level of admixture etc, plus 'genetic drift' that has occurred in the intervening period (eg. Irish and Dutch for example have drifted due to separation of couple thousand years, resulting in genetic variants having differing distribution in the two populations etc.)

• Advertisement

I have ordered the Ancestry DNA kit. Hopefully it wasn't a waste of money and shows something interesting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Turns out a second cousin of mine on my father's side is also related to my mother. Tune up the banjoes. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I got my Ancestry DNA results this morning – I requested the kit on 16th June, received & returned it on 19th so it was a very fast three-week turnaround. My surname (& variants) does not show up in a search of the results.

The only close matches were a second cousin (actually a first cousin once removed), and two third cousins whose surnames mean nothing to me. Neither of them has posted a tree. I have all but one of my 16 GGgrandparents so hopefully contacts with the two third cousins will lead to something. I’ve a few dozen 4-6th cousins and more 6-8th.

My Ethnicity Estimate results are 82% Ireland, 7% W Europe, 6% GB with Low Confidence regions 3% Iberian Peninsula, 1% Finland and <1%Scandinavian/NW Russia so I’m 100% European. My Genetic Community is Munster Irish. (FWIW ten or possibly 11 of my 16 are from Munster.)

Previously I did a FTDNA test (Y-DNA37) that showed my Predicted Haplogroup is R-M269 i.e. the dominant lineage in all of Western Europe. I’m all on my own in that database also, and looking for my surname and variants in YSearch produced no results.

Paper trails and old records have worked for me, not science!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Another question on relatives, does having large single blocks of shared DNA with relatives indicate anything unusual (I have some single blocks of over 30cm, I think even one of around 50)?

I have just sent off my DNA kit today, to Dublin (is there an Ancestry DNA lab there?).

I should probably get it back within the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

Ipso wrote: »
    Another question on relatives, does having large single blocks of shared DNA with relatives indicate anything unusual (I have some single blocks of over 30cm, I think even one of around 50)?

Not generally. Sometimes it can be misleading though. My grandmother has a segment of 40+ cM where she matches loads and loads of people. This isn't because they're all close relatives and inherited the same block. Without getting technical, it's because certain regions of DNA are prone to "false matches."

All humans share 99.9 percent of their DNA. The markers that these tests look at are known to be the more volatile areas. But I think sometimes certain regions can get "stuck" and loads of people will match despite not being related in a meaningful way. That's my theory.*

*I'm not a scientist.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭quartz1

I have previously tested autosomal on Ancestry but matches relating to my direct male line are scarce. Think I will try the FTDNA ydna test. There is a name project for my surname but should I go the 37 or 67 markers. Also has anyone an idea of the turnaround time for FTDNA results. Thanks

quartz1 wrote: »
    I have previously tested autosomal on Ancestry but matches relating to my direct male line are scarce. Think I will try the FTDNA ydna test. There is a name project for my surname but should I go the 37 or 67 markers. Also has anyone an idea of the turnaround time for FTDNA results. Thanks

The yDNA should take 6-8 weeks to get results once testing starts. I'm the same. I haven't gotten many matches on my direct paternal line and my surname is very common so even if someone has that surname in their tree, I'm never certain that we're connected through that line. I just sent off a yDNA test for 37 markers and then I plan to go straight to the Big Y. The Big Y is useful for my line because there is a person in the project that can trace their direct father line back to the 900s so the Big Y is very useful in this case since it allows people to link in with his pedigree if people descend from that branch of the surname.

It might be a good idea to contact the administrator of your surname project for advice. I was originally going to get y37, then upgrade to y67 and then upgrade to y111 but I was told that it wouldn't be necessary to do this. y67 and y111 are reduced in price once you do the y37 so it would be a good idea to go this route if you didn't have enough money for the y67 at the moment but wanted to make a start on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

What haplogroup are you?
    I have 5 Y matches altogether, the joys of not being R1b (haplogroup I).

• Advertisement

How long does it take for the Dublin Plant to process the DNA sample? I have just been notified of my sample going into the lab.

Advertisement