Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seriously facebook?

Options
  • 06-07-2017 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

For a while now I've been grand with fb. It's a brilliant free service to stay in contact and know whats going on.

Not mentioning the glaring problems including their ever increasing pushy ads, invasive nature of the mobile apps, erosion of privacy, giving a voice to literally any idiot's uninformed opinion on a subject, etc.

But recently I find their ads to be crossing from lacking a moral compass to downright disgusting.

I've just seen another 2 highly biased "insider scoops" of repeal the 8th rallies. I keep getting these. I've no idea why fb feels the need to convince me that abortion is so evil all the time.

These ones were supposedly interviewing representatives of the pro choice movement, showing how ignorant they are. Suggest búll**** like abortion to be legalised the day before the baby's born (which literally NEVER happens). Shít like that.

Where are these coming from? Why do their staff monitoring content and deciding personal ad algorithms think this is okay? And more importantly, WHO is paying for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

diograis wrote: »

But recently I find their ads to be crossing from lacking a moral compass to downright disgusting.

Their ads are based on your internet searches. :pac::pac::pac:
    Ya dirty fecker!

For a while now I've been grand with fb. It's a brilliant free service to stay in contact and know whats going on.

Not mentioning the glaring problems including their ever increasing pushy ads, invasive nature of the mobile apps, erosion of privacy, giving a voice to literally any idiot's uninformed opinion on a subject, etc.

I've just seen another 2 highly biased "insider scoops" of repeal the 8th rallies. I keep getting these. I've no idea why fb feels the need to convince me that abortion is so evil all the time.

These ones were supposedly interviewing representatives of the pro choice movement, showing how ignorant they are. Suggest búll**** like abortion to be legalised the day before the baby's born (which literally NEVER happens). Shít like that.

Where are these coming from? Why do their staff monitoring content and deciding personal ad algorithms think this is okay? And more importantly, WHO is paying for it?

Presumably their algorithms are picking up a lot of 8th amendment-related content on your Facebook (either articles you're sharing, commenting on, or simply clicking on), and they're providing you with related content.

I guess Facebook haven't yet developed an algorithm which predicts which users only want to see one side of an argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

All I see in my ads is dresses which makes sense considering all I use the internet for is to buy dresses.

I've no idea why fb feels the need to convince me that abortion is so evil all the time.

Oooooooops. Looks like your interest is leading to paranoia and conspiracy theories!

Facebook is making me pro life, is it funded by US abortion clinic bombers?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

All I'm seeing recently is ads for some makeup pyramid scheme called Younique.

Just change your settings OP and you won't see them again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

I'm not on FB and I don't have an iPhone.

I'm cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Why does the internet always suggest there are hot Russian girls in my area who want to meet up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭sjb25

Jesus Wept wrote: »
    Their ads are based on your internet searches. :pac::pac::pac:
    Ya dirty fecker!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WmDhdmgYbaQ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

That or it may be a (still very limited!) micro-targeting campaign. It will be interesting to see if there's a sudden burst of these in the lead-up to the referendum, assuming we ever get around to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,275 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Put a positive spin on it. They are wasting their money when facebook shows you their ads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

It's a brilliant free service.....

its not free!

If you hide the ads, they'll display a reason as to why you were targeted. The pro-life ones I hid informed me that their targeted demographic was people who had lived in Ireland recently or living in Ireland currently and fit into the 18-65 age bracket.

If a website has a tracking code called a Facebook pixel running in the background, then this allows Facebook to track what you do on that site. If you received an ad based on a site you've visited, this is likely why.

It's both alarming and fascinating to see how powerful Facebook's advertising platform is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

All I see in my ads is dresses which makes sense considering all I use the internet for is to buy dresses.

Ha ha, well all I'm seeing is menopause ads, was just saying this to people in work yesterday...like wtf....is FB trying to tell me something!!!

anewme wrote: »
    Ha ha, well all I'm seeing is menopause ads, was just saying this to people in work yesterday...like wtf....is FB trying to tell me something!!!

Likely you fit into a specific age bracket and are female.

Funniest ad targeting I've seen is a funeral home/crematorium (can't remember which) targeting people with elderly parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

This makes for an interesting read. They can target you based on a number of different factors.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/27/conservatives-facebook-dark-ads-data-protection-election

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    its not free!

Yeah it is. Just because it benefits someone else doesn't mean its not free.

That's like saying the air we breathe isn't free because the CO2 we respire is used by plants to fix carbon.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I just get ads for runners. I look at too many runners that I never buy.
    I like runners.

Runners.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Funniest ad targeting I've seen is a funeral home/crematorium (can't remember which) targeting people with elderly parents.
    Sick burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

myshirt wrote: »
    Why does the internet always suggest there are hot Russian girls in my area who want to meet up?

If you lived in Moscow would it tell you about some hot Irish girls in your area that want to meet up!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I wish we lived in a world where people would be prepared to pay a modest subscription fee for a service that offers the rather simple functions that Facebook does, so we could be the customers rather than the product. I hate Facebook, but in the modern era I'm more or less forced to maintain a profile. It would be wonderful if we could all be doing that on a platform that wasn't selling us instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Hey OP, is this thread about facebook ads or abortion? Cause you seem to have an agenda!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I'm not on facebook but my missus is. At home last night talking, and I mention in passing "I got a quote for life insurance today" 2 minutes later she has an add for life insurance.
    Could be a coincidence I suppose - but do they actually listen to what you say, as opposed to scan your searches, messages and so on? Cos that's fúcking creepy if they do! It's basically bugging your house!

Edit - Just done a quick google search and it's a bit murky - they say they do listen, sometimes, but they don't record it or use it to target adds.
    I'm just going to come straight out with it - I 100% don't believe them, they're spying on everyone.
    That's some creepy big brother shít right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I'm not on facebook but my missus is. At home last night talking, and I mention in passing "I got a quote for life insurance today" 2 minutes later she has an add for life insurance.
    Could be a coincidence I suppose - but do they actually listen to what you say, as opposed to scan your searches, messages and so on? Cos that's fúcking creepy if they do! It's basically bugging your house!

facebook doesn't. But your TV might be listening to you.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-31296188

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Glenster wrote: »

That's like saying the air we breathe isn't free because the CO2 we respire is used by plants to fix carbon.

its free to use but not actually free, you re giving up your rights to your information, to be used for whatever purposes and accepting their right to bombard you with advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,275 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Glenster wrote: »

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    its free to use but not actually free, you re giving up your rights to your information, to be used for whatever purposes and accepting their right to bombard you with advertising.

exactly. just because you are not paying cash doesnt mean it is free. you are exchanging something for access to FB. that something is then sold by FB.

Grayson wrote: »
    This makes for an interesting read. They can target you based on a number of different factors.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/27/conservatives-facebook-dark-ads-data-protection-election

Lookalike audiences are crazy powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

ugh.there are a few programs you can attach to your google and it will take out all the crap. block pushy ads etc etc..love it, my fb is just the way i want it - without advertising and games invites brrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 22,039 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

and boards

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

ugh.there are a few programs you can attach to your google and it will take out all the crap. block pushy ads etc etc..love it, my fb is just the way i want it - without advertising and games invites brrrrrrrrrrrrrr

What ad blocker are you using, mine doesn't stop sponsored posts on FB unless you manually add a filter.
    Sure there'd be nothing worth seeing on FB if it wasn't for ads, it's like crappy infomercial ads on tv.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

and boards

what's "boards"?

Advertisement