Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin @30km

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

I can see the goverment making alot of money from speeding fines once the whole of the dublin area has to do 30km haha

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I hadn't been through slane in a while, until yesterday, and noted the village has a 30km/h limit. Some people seemed to take it ultra seriously and drive at 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

I hadn't been through slane in a while, until yesterday, and noted the village has a 30km/h limit. Some people seemed to take it ultra seriously and drive at 20.

Well it is a limit...not a target. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Often end up behind a tractor pulling what looks like a seriously heavy load. If going uphill, it's struggling and if going downhill, constantly on the brakes to stop it from gaining too much momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thisisadamh

Kennelsfort Road in Palmerstown is now 30km/h, which is not suitable at all for that road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,303 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Kennelsfort Road in Palmerstown is now 30km/h, which is not suitable at all for that road.
    I'd noticed that. It's a main road, but has traffic calming and a lot of houses on it. I've only used the road a few times, so I'm not sure what the solution is. Once things have settled down, they will need to be looked at again.

These were increased from 60 to 80 km/h https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.2558705,-6.3566213,3a,75y,188.47h,79.82t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1snEcPins6fA6ICId3Y8YnXw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.2218369,-6.3402499,3a,75y,13.9h,88.78t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1slFzPcOkjKTumofVr9zFhHA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DlFzPcOkjKTumofVr9zFhHA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D63.7849%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Why? What limit would you suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

Even in Dundrum Town Centre I've had one near death experience in last six months and I've seen some disgraceful careless driving. I am there every day, but for goodness sake watch your kids in there it's lethal. Centre don't seem to care either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Reminds me of the time the pro life protest was on in town, the irony as I came around a corner to see a mother with a placard letting her kids run across the road in front of moving traffic.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Reminds me of the time the pro life protest was on in town, the irony as I came around a corner to see a mother with a placard letting her kids run across the road in front of moving traffic.
    That's the thing with the pro-lifers. Once the baby is born, the giving of ****s stops.

Didn't think this applied to their own children though, just other people's. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danmanw8

How do they plan on monitoring cyclists going over 30km/h?

This is what I was wondering, speed vans are usually only at areas with a higher speed limit

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    But yes, motorists are just as "entitled" to use the roadspace as any other pedestrian, cyclist, or public transport.
    Actually that's not true. People can walk, ride a bicycle or take public transport any time they like. Driving a car is by licence only.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

danmanw8 wrote: »
    This is what I was wondering, speed vans are usually only at areas with a higher speed limit
    why would speed vans monitor cyclists? speed limits don't apply to them.

Map has updated http://product.itoworld.com/map/124?lon=-6.30860&lat=53.30699&zoom=12&fullscreen=true I haven't added interchanges or some parts of Tallaght yet.

Dublin City and DLR will add a large number of street over the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,598 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

is there any logical reason why these limits are not enfaced around schools opening and closing times ??

I cycle, but believe slow driving enforcement can be a danger , through driver frustration, leading to risks.

I believe the real problem on Irish roads are a few motorists who basically don't care and drive reckless, many uninsured , target these boy racers types and the roads will become safer , rather than implementing ridiculously low speed limits (at all times).

thebaz wrote: »
    is there any logical reason why these limits are not enfaced around schools opening and closing times ??
    If you mean "enforced", there is only so much enforcement that can be done.
    I believe the real problem on Irish roads are a few motorists who basically don't care and drive reckless, many uninsured , target these boy racers types and the roads will become safer
    Having insurance or not does not prevent a collision, although it may mitigate the costs.
    rather than implementing ridiculously low speed limits (at all times).
    Most of the low speed limits are in residential areas.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I cycle, but believe slow driving enforcement can be a danger , through driver frustration, leading to risks.

I believe the real problem on Irish roads are a few motorists who basically don't care and drive reckless, many uninsured , target these boy racers types and the roads will become safer , rather than implementing ridiculously low speed limits (at all times).

"Low" limits can be justified. There was a road I went through in Kildare over the weekend rated at 60, but had obscure entrances on both sides every 15 metres. Road was only about 1.5 lanes wide too. I felt there was way too much to be observing for that speed. But it's not boy racers that'll be a problem on that road. It's people who are complacent with what they usually expect on such a road.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,598 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Victor wrote: »
    If you mean "enforced", there is only so much enforcement that can be done.
    Having insurance or not does not prevent a collision, although it may mitigate the costs.
    Most of the low speed limits are in residential areas.

sorry typo - dyslexic

of course insurance does not prevent collisions, I said that there is a minority of road users, many uninsured who drive recklessly way over any speed limits (boy racer style) - these I see as the problem - as a cyclist and sometimes motorist.

Do not see why they could not just enforce thee very low limits at particular times , why enforce these limits at night time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,534 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd expect pedestrian deaths and injuries to rise, far more people will gamble crossing the roads with cars going slower. Cycle deaths should fall.

target these boy racers types
    In my experience as a pedestrian, "boy racers" as you put them are never a problem.

• Advertisement

I'd expect pedestrian deaths and injuries to rise, far more people will gamble crossing the roads with cars going slower. Cycle deaths should fall.
    The experience is that lower speed limits result in fewer casualties - one has longer to react to a potential incident and incidents that happen are less severe.

from what i understand of the statistics (and assuming the collisions happen at the speed limits), we'd need to see an increase of somewhere between 2.5x and 4x, in the number of collisions for the death rate to remain steady.

even if you take your expectation at face value that the number of collisions will increase*, it'd have to be a quite significant increase.

*stopping distance for a car doing 30km/h is roughly half what it is for a car doing 50. even if more pedestrians did step out in front of them, the driver has more time to react, and a shorter distance to stop.

Victor wrote: »
    The experience is that lower speed limits result in fewer casualties - one has longer to react to a potential incident and incidents that happen are less severe.

Yes and not moving at all will cause no casualties but then nothing will ever get done!

@30km the whole pace of the city will reduce because people in vehicles cant get in or out quick enough, deliveries will slow, etc. Cities are supposed to be fast paced.

I often come through the city sticking to the limits and its a joke. Cars, buses, taxis, motorbikes and cyclists all flying past me as I take in the sights. I think i said this before but if Usain Bolt was running beside you while doing 30km you would notice a huge difference because he would be averaging 37.58km.

Being realistic, the special speed limit should apply to residential estates and certain zones such as schools.

Roadhawk wrote: »
    Being realistic, the special speed limit should apply to residential estates and certain zones such as schools.
    that's pretty much the state of play, no?

i've done this before - according to google maps, based on current traffic, it would take 32 minutes to drive the 11km from the main entrance of DCU to the main entrance of UCD. that's 20.6km/h. there's no way that reducing top speeds is going to have a significant effect on that.

btw, it's worth pointing out that a tiny minority of that drive is on roads with a 30km/h limit, and only a small section is due to be reviewed for a drop from 60km/h (i assume to 50km/h?); the vast majority of the drive is done on roads without the 30km/h limit, and no plans to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Its ridiculous. I'll be spending more time checking if I'm going over 30 than watching the road. In some places its hard enough to keep to 50. No doubt the speed vans and garda traffic corps be out in force claiming all the easy money.
    Example is brunswick st in Smithfield. I accept 30kph there during the day when school is open. Hard to do more with all the double parked cars anyway. What about if I'm coming home at 10pm and the streets empty. Still 30kph. Absolute joke. And that's when the traffic corp will step out behind the old courts and wave you in.

which street is richmond street?

btw, it's worth pointing out that a tiny minority of that drive is on roads with a 30km/h limit, and only a small section is due to be reviewed for a drop from 60km/h (i assume to 50km/h?); the vast majority of the drive is done on roads without the 30km/h limit, and no plans to change.

http://product.itoworld.com/map/124?lon=-6.26338&lat=53.34525&zoom=14

The map in the link shows the streets that have a 30km speed limit. All the green is 30km...just from looking at the map i would estimate that roughly 85-90% of the roads have a 30km limit. So its not just residential estates or school zones.

And dont forget that's a limit so you are sure to get some motorists who will potter along at 20-25km/ph so they are sure not to break any laws. Imagine the chaos and rage that this will cause if enforced.

which street is richmond street?

Sorry, Brunswick street.

• Advertisement

Rage is an understatement. Once people clear these zones they will undoubtedly put the foot down

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement