Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Marathon 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭overpronator

Ferris B wrote: »
    What's the story with post race beers? I believe the Coal Hole is the customary choice for Boards runners and groupies.

Yeah it has been before alright. Im gonna make my way down that way to meet someone after anyway. Less than a 10 min shuffle from the finish, in a straight line too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

There's a load of us going from the club so I'll be guided by them, we should be in that general vicinity though

What's everyone targeting? 3.10-20 for me

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Ideally 4:30, probably more realistically 4:45. I'm slow, poorly trained and have about 10kg of baby weight lingering like a bad smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭ISOP

picked up my number this evening, 15 quid to park the car at the excel

• Advertisement

We parked for free in the estate across the footbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

If I get all my 101 ducks in a row, I'm hoping to sneak under the 3 hr mark. Time will very much depend on weather though. If temps are up I'll change target accordingly.

Ferris B wrote: »
    If I get all my 101 ducks in a row, I'm hoping to sneak under the 3 hr mark. Time will very much depend on weather though. If temps are up I'll change target accordingly.

Every forecast seems to point towards ideal weather conditions..... no excuse!!

High of 16, low of 7, relatively light winds. Go nuts :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Slightly off topic, but for travel is it worth tagging on/off with an AIB card via Android Pay? Just wondering if there's a transaction fee for every journey so trying to work out the best option for today.

• Advertisement

For contactless, TFL is just hitting you with one charge at the end of the day these days. It's probably the easiest option tbh.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

kin9pin wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, but for travel is it worth tagging on/off with an AIB card via Android Pay? Just wondering if there's a transaction fee for every journey so trying to work out the best option for today.

There shouldn't be any extra fee using your AIB card. You won't need to tag in and out on Sunday as it is free until 5pm(?) when wearing your running number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Thanks, contactless it is then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Best of luck to all of you doing London, weather looks to be perfect, so enjoy!!

I'll be watching it on tv with envy on Sunday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

Best of luck to everyone on Sun, would watch it as well but will be a bit busy on the roads of Connemara :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

robinph wrote: »
    There shouldn't be any extra fee using your AIB card. You won't need to tag in and out on Sunday as it is free until 5pm(?) when wearing your running number.
    Is there minimum FX fees I wonder! Would be fierce handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭ooter

robinph wrote: »
    You won't need to tag in and out on Sunday as it is free until 5pm(?) when wearing your running number.

Last year i managed to make it all the way out to Gatwick airport on the train on the Sunday evening for my flight by just showing my number which was much appreciated. Don't think i left central London till around 5pm.

I just realised that this will be my peak mileage week (43 miles)

Remember kids,

Don't try this at home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭v6e5qzawyrc3jn

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

ISOP wrote: »
    picked up my number this evening, 15 quid to park the car at the excel

Next time you drive there park over by the houses beside West Silvertown DLR station and walk over the footbridge. No parking restrictions there.

Expo was decent I thought, the best one I have been to.

Good luck all on Sunday. Will be at the 40k mark with my one year old! Will try and get into the Cole hole after.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

All the best on Sunday folks...looking forward to the war stories. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

First time not racing a spring marathon since 2008.
    The unused London Fast Good for Age entry no. 32XXX and I'm feeling a bit sick.
    Can't wait to go back in 2018 for my 5th.
    Looks like ideal conditions. No excuses about heat you hear. Enjoy all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭ooter

Would really love to be doing this again this year, absolutely loved it last year. Doing Liverpool next month and hoping to bag a GFA time, if so I'll be back.
    Best of luck to everyone from here running on Sunday, if it's your first time you're in for a treat.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just when you enter the Expo they have a massive treadmill running at world record marathon pace. Keep going for 400m and you win a baseball cap. Simple.

Just as I entered Liz Yelling was having a go so figured and managed to get a selfie with Martin while she was running as I was wearing my MT tshirt.

The treadmill is very bouncy which probably makes it a bit easier to run at speed on. Managed to win myself a hat and could have gone on for longer, especially if I wasn't wearing jeans.

Just when you enter the Expo they have a massive treadmill running at world record marathon pace. Keep going for 400m and you win a baseball cap. Simple.

Just as I entered Liz Yelling was having a go so figured and managed to get a selfie with Martin while she was running as I was wearing my MT tshirt.

The treadmill is very bouncy which probably makes it a bit easier to run at speed on. Managed to win myself a hat and could have gone on for longer, especially if I wasn't wearing jeans.

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Best of luck, folks. I am suitably jealous. Have a good one and ENJOY!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Best of luck London marathoners. May the running gods be good to ye!

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭ISOP

here we go!

• Advertisement

On the train to Blackheath :)

Just saw a bloke bringing a huge Mr Potato Head costume onto the train at Waterloo East. Will I be passed by it... :p

Advertisement