Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you should never go cheap on?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Candie wrote: »
    I think watches say more. I wear an Omega, but I've got comfortable old Cons on my feet. I recently bought my chap a nice Tag which he loves, but he'd spend a substantial amount of time in some tatty old Docksiders he's had for years.

An omega? I'm pleasantly surprised

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Toilet roll.
    The cheap stuff is like wiping your asss with a quinnsworth bag.

Erik Shin wrote: »
    An omega? I'm pleasantly surprised

Why, out of interest? Its a vintage Equinoxe if that makes any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Teddington Cuddlesworth

I think watches say more. I wear an Omega, but I've got comfortable old Cons on my feet. I recently bought my chap a nice Tag which he loves, but he'd spend a substantial amount of time in some tatty old Docksiders he's had for years.

What about people that don't wear a watch?

Why, out of interest? Its a vintage Equinoxe if that makes any difference.

No slight meant on your good self, it's just that there are so many recurring threads​ on here about watches being passé and defunct because "we just need to look at our phones to see the time"...It's just nice to see someone who appreciates a good timepiece, that was all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Vodka

Your education is something you should spend whatever you can on, formal or not. Things like health insurance, pensions, home and car insurance, they should all be good quality and reliable.

Reading material, bedding, decent food, all the things you might spend a lot of time in, like a good armchair to read in, a decent lamp when you're working, a fast and efficient laptop, anything you use a lot, or need to rely on, is something you shouldn't skimp on if you can afford not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

It's a bit ridiculous to suggest that you should never skimp on a watch. It's only a watch. I use two watches. One cost me €1200 - a kinetic Raymond Weil. The other cost me €65 -a battery powered John Rocha yoke from Debenhams. The pricey one is a fashion statement. The cheaper one keeps far better time. I could do perfectly well without any watch at all.

It's a bit ridiculous to suggest that you should never skimp on a watch. It's only a watch. I use two watches. One cost me €1200 - a kinetic Raymond Weil. The other cost me €65 -a battery powered John Rocha yoke from Debenhams. The pricey one is a fashion statement. The cheaper one keeps far better time. I could do perfectly well without any watch at all.

I didn't suggest you should spend on a watch. I was addressing the suggestion that you can tell a lot about a person by their shoes. Not everyone wants to wear a watch, it says nothing about them.

If a person does wear a watch, I think it's probably a more telling item than shoes are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

How can his watch say something about him if you bought it for him?

• Advertisement

osarusan wrote: »
    How can his watch say something about him if you bought it for him?

It says he has fantastic taste in girlfriends. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Also, I think the whole "you can tell a lot about a person by the ____ they wear" is generally a load of nonsense.

I think it says more about the values imparted on things by the person making the comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

osarusan wrote: »
    Also, I think the whole "you can tell a lot about a person by the ____ they wear" is generally a load of nonsense.

I think it says more about the values imparted on things by the person making the comment.

It's nothing to do with flash look at me nonsense

A nice watch and a decent pair of shoes should always be understated

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    Storage media, condoms, sugar, engine oil, bed mattress , football boots, prostitutes.
    Sarn wrote: »
    Condoms.
    pudzey101 wrote: »
    condoms
    Durex must have the greatest marketing department in history. Seriously, condoms are hideously overpriced for what they are - a simple cheap piece of latex that costs next to nothing to manufacture.

Now I'm not advocating using an old crisp packet, but any generic brand that meets the relevant CE standards is perfectly fine and no different to the more expensive ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Things I don't cheap out on.

- Shoes
    - Electric appliances
    - Mattress
    - skincare products
    - makeup

Shoes
    Mattress
    Tae bags
    Erm
    Lemmee see

That's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

HugsiePie wrote: »
    Plastic surgery

Actually, this is something you should never spend a penny on.:pac:

Tomato ketchup (Heinz preferably but chef is good too.. generally all else is not nice) .. first item that came to mind, low quality ketchup bugs me!

Razor blades

Washing powder - Lidl and Aldi brands don't wash clothes as well as brands like Bold or Ariel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Video Game DLC.

I hate myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Every man should have two good suits at minimum, and some block colour shirts.

You can always tell the difference between the man who has the court date and the man who has a job as they say.

What was a suit in 1950 is a suit now, more or less. A suit will not let you down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭stimpson

myshirt wrote: »
    Every man should have two good suits at minimum, and some block colour shirts.

You can always tell the difference between the man who has the court date and the man who has a job as they say.

What was a suit in 1950 is a suit now, more or less. A suit will not let you down.

My last suit I wore twice. I bought a new one yesterday as I have a wedding to go to, but I doubt it will get much use tbh. People would look at me twice if I wore a suit to the office.

Shoes
    Mattress
    Tae bags
    Erm
    Lemmee see

That's it.

Cake?!

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

sxt wrote: »
    Pillows / bed linen

Boots

Winter coat

Toilet paper

It's actually better to go cheap on toilet paper as it breaks down easier and doesn't clog your pipes. A plumber told me the quilted etc version are the worst and to buy the cheapest toilet paper

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭storker

I'm happy to say that I spent the princely sum of $12 on my watch. It feels nice, looks good and keeps the time well. I got it from GearBest as a sort of experiment...to see what their service was like and to see what a $12 watch would look and feel like, and how long it would last. That was about 18 months ago and it hasn't needed a new battery yet. I did replace the strap with a decent leather one after the original started to get tatty but I didn't expect to get long from it anyway.

YW2657X-3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,988 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Footwear, and coats/jackets.

All the rest of my clothes are generic, cheap stuff, but I never cheap out on the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,437 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Tomato ketchup (Heinz preferably but chef is good too.. generally all else is not nice) .. first item that came to mind, low quality ketchup bugs me!

Razor blades

Washing powder - Lidl and Aldi brands don't wash clothes as well as brands like Bold or Ariel.
    Chef ketchup in never acceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

All these peoplr mentioning shoes.. where pray tell are ye buying such fine footwear that isn't some variant of runner or hiking boot?

I'd add...

- Milk.. the cheap stuff doesn't last nearly as long or taste as well
    - Cars.. especially if you do a lot of mileage
    - Most Tech.. while you can sometimes get a bargain, in general it's better to pay that bit more for better support, warranty coverage and quality

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Are Am Eye wrote: »
    Storage media, condoms, sugar, engine oil, bed mattress , football boots, prostitutes.
    Sarn wrote: »
    Condoms.
    pudzey101 wrote: »
    condoms
    Durex must have the greatest marketing department in history. Seriously, condoms are hideously overpriced for what they are - a simple cheap piece of latex that costs next to nothing to manufacture.

Now I'm not advocating using an old crisp packet, but any generic brand that meets the relevant CE standards is perfectly fine and no different to the more expensive ones.
    I usually buy in bulk.

Food . You are what you eat.

Education - you also are how you think.
    Food? Haha most is just marketing, had someone rabble onto me about gluten fre porridge and how it's worth spending money on. I pointed out oats don't have gluten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Tyres
    Condoms
    Shoes
    Beds

Advertisement