Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

14,500 traffic convictions to be quashed over Garda error

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

"When you're rewiring the house you need the lights on"
    Noirin O Sullivan.

When you do electric work the first thing you do is turn off the juice dumb biche. I hope someone gives her a fork and puts her to play near some sockets. Fcuking Troglodyte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Esel wrote: »
    Money laundry? :)

Over 50 bank accounts. With €000s being transferred. With land portfolios.
    A money laundry that's on a par with the Kinahan's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

Donal55 wrote: »
    Over 50 bank accounts. With €000s being transferred. With land portfolios.
    A money laundry that's on a par with the Kinahan's

Do you remember a few years ago senior gardai were being comped with free holidays by one of the big tyre firms. Who just happened to get contracts for garda fleet. There was lots of enquiries and commissions and recommendations for tender procedures. Nobody went to jail though. Or got sacked.

Dionysius2 wrote: »
    Commsnr O'Sullivan's carefully worded allusive comment about the possibility of other issues arising later and which may be seen as deficient on the honesty scale is thought provoking. What are we being softened up for with that disclosure, one wonders. Anyone care to expand ?

Obviously its a case of leaking damaging stuff now, so that it doesnt get 'discovered' in the Tribunals.

It will be 'old news' by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I love how all the every day hero gaurds that came out of the woodwork in December decrying how they were poverty stricken and working all the hours in the week have gone silent.

I don't know how the minister can last much longer and I am not sure how the Gaurds as an entity can keep getting away with it. What outrage becomes too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jelutong

They obviously acquired a taste for free Coffee and Douhgnuts during their education in Templemore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

To think many of these People giving sworn evidence against suspects in court on a daily basis...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭blackbox

Calhoun wrote: »
    I love how all the every day hero gaurds that came out of the woodwork in December decrying how they were poverty stricken and working all the hours in the week have gone silent.

No sign of the GRA or AGSI to condemn any of these scandals.

Reminds me of another representative organisation that is very slow to condemn criminal activities of its members.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,069 ✭✭✭✭Esel

blackbox wrote: »

Reminds me of another representative organisation that is very slow to condemn criminal activities of its members.

Which one?

(You broke the quote in your post btw.)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

From what Noreen is saying the worst is yet to come

Dont know how they will ever recover from this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

An Garda Síochána is due to publish a report detailing financial irregularities at the Garda College over a number of years.

It also identified a large number of bank accounts as part of a non-transparent system of accounting.

One, a laundry account, was not being used for that purpose.

Tánaiste Frances Fitzgerald told the Dáil last night that the report raises serious governance issues and will be referred to the Comptroller and Auditor General and the Public Accounts Committee.

http://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2017/0329/863350-garda-report-templemore/

This is all on top of the other issues, & on it goes & goes .

Feck off with governance issues. It's likely criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

They can just fire her. It's not like she's running a coup.

Well she still has the full support of the Justice Minister, who is the only one that can fire her. If she hasn't been sacked so far then I don't see it happening in the case of a No Confidence motion being passed.

Imo, and leaving everything else aside; publicly stating that you will refuse to resign in such circumstances should itself be reprimandable.

It's not a coup, but it looks extremely bad. Her calling in the top brass for briefings and having Callinan in Garda HQ yesterday raises a few questions. It's not exactly transparent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Well she still has the full support of the Justice Minister, who is the only one that can fire her. If she hasn't been sacked so far then I don't see it happening in the case of a No Confidence motion being passed.

Imo, and leaving everything else aside; publicly stating that you will refuse to resign in such circumstances should itself be reprimandable.

It's not a coup, but it looks extremely bad. Her calling in the top brass for briefings and having Callinan in Garda HQ yesterday raises a few questions. It's not exactly transparent.

But if she resigns everyone will just give out about her getting off lightly and not being held to account, just like the man before her.

But if she resigns everyone will just give out about her getting off lightly and not being held to account, just like the man before her.

So are you defending her refusal to resign if a no confidence motion is passed?

And people are bloody right to give out about such people getting off lightly. In any other job you would just be politely asked to resign and sent off with a huge pension.

If Callinan was a commissioner in the UK and called whistleblowers disgusting, he'd have been out on his ear right away. That can't happen in Ireland since the government don't want to fire people that they have appointed. Makes 'em look like idiots for giving them jobs in the first place.

So are you defending her refusal to resign if a no confidence motion is passed?

Nope, I'm saying it isn't the end of democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭blackbox

I wouldn't like her to be sacked if people (i.e. politicians) thought that "now we've taken decisive action - problem solved".

The problem goes much deeper. Every member at every level who falsified records, buried reports or mis-managed finances needs to be held to account. Some of these may be criminal matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

blackbox wrote: »

I wouldnt even mind that so much but we all have that connected Gaurda friend who posted up a nice little sob story on facebook about how they were on the breadline ect, and how hard they worked everyday for the public of this country.

Those facebook heroes seem to have gone quite, something stinks and the blue is fading. I wonder what scapegoat they will use to blame this one, there will of course be no arrests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Noddyholder

Concerns about widespread financial irregularities at the Garda College were first expressed over a decade ago, a damning internal audit has revealed.

The document detailed the use of 48 different bank accounts and a "non-transparent system of accounting" at the college in Templemore, Co Tipperary.

issues were flagged as far back as 2006 but only two out of 12 subsequent recommendations from the Garda finance directorate were implemented.

A private company, known as The Garda Síochána Sportsfield Co Ltd, held land for the college and had members of the college's management as its directors.

The Garda Síochána Act 2005 banned gardaí from being involved in land contracts and the report found that the company should have been dissolved from the beginning of the act and its assets transferred to the OPW. This did not happen.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/garda-college-spent-thousands-on-jewellery-flowers-and-golf-society-35577863.html

The police authority need to do more than give hard worded statements .

Per Gene Kerrigan...
    "The evidence of Garda scandals keeps coming in waves. And it tells us the Garda rank and file is steeped in a culture that breeds slipshod work, arrogance towards the law and contempt for civilians. We would not tolerate these standards in a workforce making tea-towels. Tolerating such standards in a police force is not respecting law and order, it's disrespecting the very concept."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

I don't know how the minister can last much longer and I am not sure how the Gaurds as an entity can keep getting away with it. What outrage becomes too much.
    They will keep getting away with it because they can keep selling Paddy Soap the illusion of security.

And at the end of the day old Paddy will tolerate anything as long as he is fooled into believing the Gardai keeps him 'safe'.

• Advertisement

archer22 wrote: »
    They will keep getting away with it because they can keep selling Paddy Soap the illusion of security.

And at the end of the day old Paddy will tolerate anything as long as he is fooled into believing the Gardai keeps him 'safe'.

We shall see the veneer is really starting to lift for the force.

This government has to go as they are not taking action and will not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

We shall see the veneer is really starting to lift for the force.

This government has to go as they are not taking action and will not.

The Garda Commissioner looks like she knows stuff and people in power are afraid to stir the ***t. She is not going anywhere soon. Much of the stuff has been going on for decades and it will take guts and courage to deal with it. This Government does not have that.

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    The Garda Commissioner looks like she knows stuff and people in power are afraid to stir the ***t. She is not going anywhere soon. Much of the stuff has been going on for decades and it will take guts and courage to deal with it. This Government does not have that.

That is ok also, net-net of a party in government that holds itself to be the "law and order party" not actually living up to that is a drop in the polls.

To think they were doing somewhat well off the back of the trip to the US, things will now start to take the spiral. I like how Leo is putting his head on the line by standing behind her, that might come bite him in the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

So how do people know if they were one of the ones involved in the traffic offense cases that were wrongly convicted? Are they going to write out to all 14,500?

So how do people know if they were one of the ones involved in the traffic offense cases that were wrongly convicted? Are they going to write out to all 14,500?

It would seem so.

Thought this was funny

vobpsti.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

Thought this was funny

vobpsti.jpg[/Very Funny ...But Have the Garda sent out 14,500 Letters to the Wrongly Convicted? And why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,069 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Very Funny ...But Have the Garda sent out 14,500 Letters to the Wrongly Convicted? And why not?

You broke the quote system there.

Do you know that the letters have not been sent?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

Esel wrote: »
    You broke the quote system there.

Do you know that the letters have not been sent?
    I was just Wondering have the Garda sent out the 14500 letters. to the 14500 wrongly convicted how do we know this figure is not low balling and this not say 100000 Wrongly Convicted in the wrong?:confused:

Advertisement