Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,577 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Got the car back from garage - seized diff replaced, 400 notes gone. facepalm.gif

Had to do something to wipe my tears off. ;)

Set of 2nd hand items from E12 TS. Before and after:

411521.jpg

411522.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Fairly trivial I know but getting this working was bugging with a while.
    Google Street View!!:pac:

xcryzpu8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

joujoujou wrote: »
    Got the car back from garage - seized diff replaced, 400 notes gone. facepalm.gif

Had to do something to wipe my tears off. ;)

Set of 2nd hand items from E12 TS. Before and after:

Ah damn.. :(

I like the pedals they're a nice touch.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

blade1 wrote: »
    Fairly trivial I know but getting this working was bugging with a while.
    Google Street View!!:pac:

All of the buttons... That's not distracting at all :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Hal1 wrote: »
    All of the buttons... That's not distracting at all :p.
    Do you mean the heater control buttons Hal?
    They don't get a look in, not when you have this in front of you:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

724.jpg

TB Finished and DPF making its way up. The DPF is an awful nuisance to get in, the lip that it gets attached to the block with gets caught on every single thing on the way up. Also found out the hole for one of the temp sensors is a size too big so have to try and find an adaptor of some sort for that

• Registered Users Posts: 81,891 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Decide to start the sound deadening process on the 924. Under bonnet work done. Next up the boot!

Nice tidy job, do you buy it as is or do you manually cut it to fit from a sheet of the stuff?

Unregistered Users

Yet another visual upgrade.

Before:

412109.jpg

After:

412110.jpg

Unregistered Users

^

Nice, I find little touches like those make a big difference.
    Thanks. :)
    Also wash your seats would ya :pac:
    They're already washed. That pattern on the fabric will stay forever anyway, it went from factory like that. ;)

==================

Spotted a leak in the engine bay (visible on the last photo, on the engine bottom cover). Power steering return pipe badly corroded.

Old one out:

412227.jpg

412228.jpg

New (well, 2nd hand, just repainted) in:

412229.jpg

Not really much to see there, pipe hidden under the screenwash reservoir and ABS pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Jou, I really enjoy your endeavours to keep that Corolla going.

How many miles are on it?

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

Jou, I really enjoy your endeavours to keep that Corolla going.
    Thank you. :)
    How many miles are on it?
    Well, in fact, I don't know. :o

Speedo cable snapped at some stage and I drove without it for a longer while. Also, dials were replaced some time ago (for the ones off a higher spec LHD ones with kms instead of miles), but I estimate the likes of 400.000 kilometres/250k miles.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Got a rubber mallet there two weeks back... don't know how I lived without one! So handy for odd jobs, not just on the car!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Got a rubber mallet there two weeks back... don't know how I lived without one! So handy for odd jobs, not just on the car!

Don't for get the glass nails.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

The poor little Diesel 156 got a bit worse for wear. The mangy roads over the last few weeks just meant there was no point in even trying to keep it clean...

IMG_5709_zpsd7fkhcaz.jpg

IMG_5710_zpsviom5xty.jpg

IMG_5711_zpscabnbguj.jpg

IMG_5712_zps9cus51as.jpg

IMG_5713_zpshxs6ojfs.jpg

IMG_5714_zpsxkhjidbu.jpg

IMG_5715_zps0ytmsikv.jpg

IMG_5716_zpssejomqzp.jpg

IMG_5717_zps1c24yna0.jpg

Poor 156. Much happier looking now though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Spray that towbar black!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,433 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Did my 6 minute oil change on the Civic. That car is so easy to work on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

colm_mcm wrote: »

I tried that with the sisters Auris yesterday. The filter was on that tight that my 3 prong filter tool went through it. When all else fails though, you can't bate a good flat head screwdriver straight through it.

I brought it for a quick spin after, and noticed the clutch was starting to slip so that's next weekend sorted.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,119 ✭✭✭✭Esel

colm_mcm wrote: »

How much would your local mechanic charge for labour on that job? :eek:

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Annual oil and filters service. Switched to 5W40, supposedly the V8s prefer it, some lads even using 5W50.

1_zpsmuj7tu5b.gif~original

2_zps7ceyipvw.gif~original

3_zpst7txy5n3.gif~original

4_zpsyww1b8kj.gif~original

5_zpsqhgnzk7g.gif~original

6_zpst4sh04ya.gif~original

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Has to be the best cared for car on this forum. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

9 litres of Castrol Edge!

8 litres officially, which brings the level just shy of half way, another half litre tops her up!

Not cheap, but not expensive either for what it is. €145 did that service. My mother got her '08 Fiesta serviced last week by her regular indy and cost her €120 for the same thing. And i'm the one with receipts. Go figure...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

8 litres officially, which brings the level just shy of half way, another half litre tops her up!

Not cheap, but not expensive either for what it is. €145 did that service. My mother got her '08 Fiesta serviced last week by her regular indy and cost her €120 for the same thing. And i'm the one with receipts. Go figure...

Doing the exact same this evening. Official says 8L but I know it takes 8.4L to fill. I've been using Edge 0W-30 in winter and Edge 5W-30 in summer but you're not the first person I've heard say that the V8 likes 5W-40? Any ideas why?

I've actually gone with Petronas Syntium 5000 5W-30 this time to see if there's any difference....plus the fact it comes in 5L containers rather than 4L.....buying that extra 1L of edge always got my goat ;)

Haha, the 1 litre bottle is a killer alright.
    There was a very long discussion about oils on the E65 Facebook group recently, all the eastern European lads are using 5W50 in the V8s. Logic being the extremely high operating temperature, especially in summer months.

BMW underspec the oil requirements mostly for emissions output and also to make it applicable to nearly all their engine types. (ie 0W30). The opinion on the group is to not use W30 in any petrol BMW, it just burns off far too quickly. Seeing as we have a mild climate and I don't have an overly heavy right foot, I kept it at 5W40.

I was looking at the Petronas bottles too, meets the spec and is good value. I just stuck to what I know. I do burn a small bit of oil, maybe 2 litres a year, so will be interesting to see if this slows.

Eventually got to do it yesterday

User request to delete photos

Ordered 4 Kuhmo KU39 tyres, 2x 275/35R19 for the back and 245/40R19 for the front. Hopefully have them next week.....
    Burnout city this week ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭blackbox

Changed the oil in the Lexus luxobarge differential today. It's supposed to be changed every full service, but it looked like it hadn't been done for a while. Had quite a job getting the plugs open, but after that it was plain sailing. Used my new Lidl oil extractor pump (slightly modified) to fill it.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

blackbox wrote: »
    Changed the oil in the Lexus luxobarge differential today. It's supposed to be changed every full service, but it looked like it hadn't been done for a while. Had quite a job getting the plugs open, but after that it was plain sailing. Used my new Lidl oil extractor pump (slightly modified) to fill it.

I used a lidl pump to drain the oil from my E39 over the weekend. Absolutely delighted with it. I emptied the sump without having to use jack, stands, get hands dirty or anything. In total it took about 5mins to pump out 6 litres of oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Installed some parking sensors to the Civic so I don't reverse over anyone. Absolute nightmare of a job

IMG_20170402_175350.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Nightmare? Do tell!

Advertisement