Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power shower switch

Options
  • 26-03-2017 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

Hi all, the power chord we use to power our electric shower isn't working...when I pull on the chord the light in the box doesn't turn on. Would it just be a fuse gone inside this or does the while thing need to be replaced? I'm not familiar with these kinds of switches...what are they called?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Here is a pic of what I'm talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Same happened to me and I got my shower repair guy in to replace it. I was previously advised to keep it in the "on" position but even so it burnt out (non-technical term!).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Is that a photo of your switch or just one you found on the web ? There shouldn't be a gap between the switch and the back-box, did some one pull it too hard perhaps and possibly broke the posts where the screws go in ?

Either way get a Registered electrician to check it for you and not a DIY bloke. Electrical appliances in a bathroom are dangerous and are subject to strict regulations for your safety. That switch makes and breaks up to 45 Amps and a bad connection could result in fire or electric shock.

Ken

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

If that is a picture of your actual switch/pull cord then I would suggest asking the electrician who comes to fix it your you to move it out from the wall so that the cover fits properly. This will reduce water and steam getting into the internals of the switch(which may be one of the reasons for any damage that has been caused to it).

Have you checked to see if the rcbo(trip switch) in the fuseboard for the shower has tripped?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭dodzy

aido79 wrote: »
    If that is a picture of your actual switch/pull cord then I would suggest asking the electrician who comes to fix it your you to move it out from the wall so that the cover fits properly. This will reduce water and steam getting into the internals of the switch(which may be one of the reasons for any damage that has been caused to it).

Have you checked to see if the rcbo(trip switch) in the fuseboard for the shower has tripped?
    Should have been moved before the tiler got in. Looks like he just cut out a slot so that's relocating it out of the question unless you've a spare tile. Missing screw; were you in there for a look?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Hi all, to confirm...this pic is mine, not taken from the net. Also, the gap in the box was me opening it to take a peek inside. It was closed fully up until it stopped working.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭dodzy

Hi all, to confirm...this pic is mine, not taken from the net. Also, the gap in the box was me opening it to take a peek inside. It was closed fully up until it stopped working.
    If you can change a plug, you can do this.

Isolate supply at the Consumer unit.
    Double check no voltage present at pull-switch terminals.
    Undo supply, load and earth wires and replace.
    A tenner should get you out.

Surely this is not a RECI requirement ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

dodzy wrote:
    Surely this is not a RECI requirement ?

No but competent is required. If cable is not tightened properly it can be a fire hazard. I'm replacing one right now that the homeowner fitted less than 3 months ago.

Advertisement