Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asking a girl out in a mad way

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

Maybe tone it down a little,the message that is.Your name and number might do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭fartyarse

jcon1913 wrote: »
    Ha ha ha. Anyway if you were her and you liked the OP you'd pre-bloody-tend you liked coffee. 😄😄😄

Yeah fair point, I probably would stomach it if I fancied him tbh.

EEK I can't wait to hear how this goes!:)

Johngoose wrote: »
    Maybe tone it down a little,the message that is.Your name and number might do the trick.

Yeah this struck me too, perhaps leave out the "not to mention embarrassing LOL" bit. That would strike me as meaning "I'm not willing to embarrass myself for you".

• Registered Users Posts: 35,868 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

AMKC wrote:
    You could try chatting to her first do before you decide to do the note. Maybe say Hi I have noticed you looking at me would you be interested in chatting. Whats the worst she can say except no and well then at least you tried.

Do not say this whatever you do! I noticed you looking at me sounds so big headed!

I think the note is a great idea but leave out the LOL.

Best of look. Faint heart and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

fartyarse wrote: »
    Yeah fair point, I probably would stomach it if I fancied him tbh.

EEK I can't wait to hear how this goes!:)

you would be better off saying you hate coffee but spin it round and say why dont we go get some tea (or whatever) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

I'm eating my breakfast Kate.

you would be better off saying you hate coffee but spin it round and say why dont we go get some tea (or whatever) .

Or "jaysus coffee makes me FIERCE gassy but let's go grab a pint!"?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

RedXIV wrote:
    Give her a "voucher" for a free coffee, and put your number on the back.

Brilliant idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Or "jaysus coffee makes me FIERCE gassy but let's go grab a pint!"?

as someone who suffers coffee in a simalar way i was trying to be diplomatic but if he is willing to accept that im sure hes a keeper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

I'd go with the note as well but short and simple - name and number.

First though get one of those 'The Man - The Legend' t-shirts , put your two hands on your hips and slooooowly wink at her. They love that :cool:

Trust me..... I know these things.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

29 yo female here (Yes i know. Misleading username), but for what my opinion is worth, I LOVE THIS! Man, that sort of act would make my day!

DO IT, and report back to us about how it goes! :D

(Imagine if the chick you're digging is actually me. LOL!)

It may make your day but assuming that you're not the woman in question, it could make someone feel incredibly uncomfortable and perhaps unsafe.

The only people I see speaking to strangers on public transport are older people closer to senior citizen pass age.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭worded

What's the worst that's going to happen? She hits the emergency stop button ?

oneilla wrote: »
    It may make your day but assuming that you're not the woman in question, it could make someone feel incredibly uncomfortable and perhaps unsafe.

The only people I see speaking to strangers on public transport are older people closer to senior citizen pass age.

How can a person feel unsafe on public transport, surrounded by other people? Maybe it'd make her a little uncomfortable at most but that's easily remedied by saying 'not interested'. Shes making regular eye-contact with the guy, so she probably likes him back.

You don't have to be a pensioner to have nice chats with strangers either, some of the best chats I've ever had have been on transport or in queues with total strangers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

OP, If youre conservative about the outcome and want to win more than you want to pat yourself on the back for trying then you need a proper plan.

Do you know which stop she gets off at or where she works , lunches etc ?

oneilla wrote: »

Jesus Christ have we become that bad in this day and age that two strangers can't communicate?! I talk to strangers every single day and I never feel unsafe as it's always somewhere public like on public transport/in a supermarket/in the gym etc.

OP, If youre conservative about the outcome and want to win more than you want to pat yourself on the back for trying then you need a proper plan.

Do you know which stop she gets off at or where she works , lunches etc ?

The last thing he should do is stalk her to her work or where she eats.

That would ring alarm bells all over the place with her, if she has any sense. He approaches her where he usually encounters her or he doesn't at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭BsBox

So here's my perspective as a gay guy who has heard every story under the sun from girls getting approached by guys:

Some people would be kind of uncomfortable being approached on public transport. I know personally, I wouldn't want people coming up to me most of the time on the bus/Luas, and I can't even count the number of times I've heard my friends landing in the door with a story about some 'weird' guy on the bus/Luas talking to them. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do it, but you need to be fairly mindful of how the other person might feel about the whole thing.

The post it note will either be considered cute, or absolutely freaky. You may think she's eyeing you up, but she could be listening to her headphones and “staring“ at you without actually looking at you. I know I do this a lot accidentally when I'm on public transport.

Your best bet is to wait until you're sitting/standing fairly close to her, and smile at her. If it's a large smile back, maybe point at your ears and then hers to highlight the headphones and then ask her what she's listening to. Maybe mention you're always looking for new music to find. Introduce yourself. Go from there. There's no easy way to break the ice like this, and confidence is absolutely key. How you hold yourself will make or break the introduction.

tl;dr - Whatever you do, be extra mindful about how she might feel. Don't throw a note at her. Don't assume she likes you or is actually eyeing you up. Don't be weird.
    AMKC wrote: »
    Maybe say Hi I have noticed you looking at me would you be interested in chatting. Whats the worst she can say except no and well then at least you tried.

This is a terrible idea. Please don't say this, and definitely don't phrase anything you do say like that.

Edit: Also note, she might be looking at you because she's thinking in her head, “why does this guy keep looking over at me?“.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Candie wrote: »
    How can a person feel unsafe on public transport, surrounded by other people? Maybe it'd make her a little uncomfortable at most but that's easily remedied by saying 'not interested'. Shes making regular eye-contact with the guy, so she probably likes him back.

You don't have to be a pensioner to have nice chats with strangers either, some of the best chats I've ever had have been on transport or in queues with total strangers.

She could think that he is a nutter and may start to follow her home and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

Candie wrote: »
    The last thing he should do is stalk her to her work or where she eats.

That would ring alarm bells all over the place with her, if she has any sense. He approaches her where he usually encounters her or he doesn't at all.

Not if hes discreet. Its not stalking either. In business terms its chasing a lead to make a sale and close a deal. It always involves consent. If you like someone you try to find a way to get to know them. The LUAS could be full of junkies. She could be a cranky non morning person. She may be a wallflower who doesnt like the whole world listening into an awkward cold approach. Theres so many variables and different ways to warm up the approach. OP doesnt have to rule anything out. Its all about which ball he feels most confident about running with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 18,587 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Maybe she has a special eye and isn't actually looking at you at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

For shame. I am disappointed with AH. Nobody yet has suggested whipping out the lad and giving her the oul' helicopter show.
    Or failing that, just grab her by the pussy

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

For shame. I am disappointed with AH. Nobody yet has suggested whipping out the lad and giving her the oul' helicopter show.

Or you could sign an executive order to MAKE her go out with you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

She might be a lady boy donal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Maybe she has a special eye and isn't actually looking at you at all?

I thought that myself.In fact she might have one of those folders up white canes blind people use.
    That throws the "give her a note bollix out the window".

OP for those of us that use the Luas , could you dress in such a way that we recognise you , maybe wear a tophat and monocle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

RedXIV wrote: »
    Give her a "voucher" for a free coffee, and put your number on the back.

Got that idea here years ago, still love it to this day :D

Epic! Going to trial this :-).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Guy Sajer

A note sounds like a good idea in this scenario. Just as you may be uncomfortable asking her out verbally in a crowded bus she may find it uncomfortable too.

I asked a girl who worked at a busy coffee shop with a note. Althoough it didn't work out as she had a bf she gave me a nice reply and even suggested we be friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Desoh wrote: »
    I can't ask he out face to face in front of everyone. And she always has earphones in.

Pffttt...just pop that earphone out and go for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Meathcat7

I think it's cute. Nothing ventured, nothing gained :-) Let us know how you get on

Advertisement