Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Joseph's home for babies.

Options
  • 26-07-2010 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi,

I'm writing this on behalf of my partner. He was placed for adoption in St Joseph's home for babies, in Stamullen, Co Meath.
    This is about as much info as we've got yet as he has just decided to do a trace. He was born there in October of 1974.
    However, i can find very little about this home on the internet.
    Anybody have any experiences there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tldireland

Hi. My partner was also placed with St Joseph's babies home. The adoption was managed by St. Clare's Adoption Society, Stamullen, Co. Meath. The agency is no longer in existence so I am assuming the same for the babies home. The Adoption Board made note of our request and advised us to contact HSE North East, Regional Adoption Service in Drogheda. Co Louth. We are following guidelines in tracing handbooks but it's a really slow process for us anyway with the HSE..... Best of luck with it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jovigirl78

hi was adopted from st clares in stamullen and i tried to conact them about information i was referred to hse in drogheda as the agency is now closed i was looking for my long birth cert and was told to contact the adoption authority of ireland and put my name on the contact prefernce list as they cant give me my birth cert or any information
    i found this website www.adoptionrightsalliance.com helpful about how to obtain a copy of my long birth cert i havent tried to get it yet
    has anyone got a copy of their long birth cert?
    or has anyone been adopted from st clares in stamullen?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

There are also trace guides here that may be of use: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055543715

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ter1976

Hi Just seen some posts on this, if you want to trace, you need to contact the principal social worker, Louth local health office Regional adoption services, st. marys hospital, dublin road, Drogheda. (Theres a massive waiting list)

Cheers - T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 KarlBr

I too was adopted from St. Clare's Stamullen 1980.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 edelmccabe

hi my name is edel adopted from stamullen too. i am currently waiting on hse to get my adoption file but have got no news yet.... i also went to see the home this weekend its a nursing home now but great to see a place and is another bit of the jigsaw...pls feel free to chat to me as were in the same boat.
    does any know how long it takes to receive any info from sw or hse???

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭diabeticmum

Hi, my husband was also adopted through St clares adoption society, in 1971. He is at early stage where he just wanted some medical info and pass on info about himself to birth mother. We wrote a letter to HSE drogheda and altho it was registered post and came up as received hse in drogheda told us they never received it. We sent a second copy which they did receive afair the reply was about 6 weeks coming and very little info in it, even non identifiying info.
    Hi Edel, can I ask, can you just drive up to where it used to be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 edelmccabe

Hi Thanks for getting back to me im still waiting on info and getting fed up watching the postman for it....especially knowing that the info will be very undetailed, also yes my husband drove me over to stamullen and we drove right up to the home and i stood inthe main hall way and had a look around the grounds advise you to go with ur partner as its the only place that he would have being with his mother...best of luck and let me knoww how things go edelx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dantommum

Hi I dont know if I can help any one I was a nursery nurse at St Josephs baby home from 1981 to 1984. And went back in 1985 for 6 months to help train others to look after the little babies. I was a lot of children and babies come and go. The home closed in 1996 as far as I know and now it is a home for the aged.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭diabeticmum

Dantommum, thats very good of you offering to help. My husband was there before your time

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I am only too well aware of how low priority we appear to be with the HSE and the Adoption Authority- and would like to point people to the Traceguides which detail step by step, how you might do a trace, with minimal assistance from the HSE/Adoption Authority.

Note- the very first step that anyone should do is request 'Non-identifying Information' from the Adoption Authority (who have copies of all the adoption files in their possession.

There-after download the appropriate guide and follow the steps

Link to the traceguides here

Kind regards,

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Mfarr3ll

Hey guys,

I came from St Clares in Stamullen also in 1978. I have been in contact a few years back with the adoption agencies and the Principal Social Worker in St Mary's Hospital in Drogheda as i was sick and was advised by my doctor to try get some medical history, what i got was two pages of blacked out writting along with a few scribbles that i had a sore eye when i was born, i was devastated and it ended up in the fire.

Ive been on http://www.adoptionrightsalliance.com/ and its fantastic and full of everything you need to trace yourself which is far better as your letters to drogheda will just be put in a corner or you will be told you have no birth cert. I have once again today requested my non identifying information and i am then going to the Irish Life Mall in dublin to find my birth certificate. I am hoping i will at least get my mothers name and possibly her address and then i will start my search.

Hope this helps

M xx

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kdroogan

hi i was born 1st october 1974.was at st josephs. did try and get some info back in 96 and 98 but got very little back. i am going to try again in the new year. hope things might be a bit better now

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Sherrybell

Hi Dantommum,

I was in St Clares as a newborn in 1983. What was it like there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lucia05

Hi,
    Myself and my 2 brothers were also adopted from Stamullen, we would visit with my parents for all of our communions and confirmations, the nun was Sr. Marie Louise. She had dealt with all of our adoptions and my mother had many letters from her. The last time I was there was in approx. mid 90's. Sadly there were only children with special needs there who had not been adopted. As far as I know it closed down shortly after that visit.
    I have received my NII from the HSE and managed to locate my original birth cert in the Irish Life Mall. It was alot easier that you would think, unfortunately my story does not have a happy ending as my BM refuses to have any contact with me, but only yesterday I met with my biological aunt who told me who my birth father is. He only lives 15 mins from my house as did my BM. It is unbelievable at the amount of secrecy surrounding adoption. A number of people from the town my BM comes from refused to speak with me.
    Both my brothers have met with their BM's and they are lovely people.
    Good luck to anyone out there searching.

Fee

• Registered Users Posts: 37 kitty171184

It's nice to hear from other people who have been here. We yet again have sent a letter to Co Louth to request some information. I wish some mothers who gave up their babies would post about an experience from there. Just to see was it bad/awful/ some sort of an insight.

Also, is there any place that you can go to put in your date of birth and if your mother was looking for you she could find you that way.

kdroogan,
    did you ever get anywhere with finding more info. We didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭mamafi

Hi guys.I lived near village where st. Clares was and I had trips up to the babies home regularly. The nuns where lovely who ran the home and as a teenager I done some work during the summer there in the 80's. The nurses who looked after the children went above and beyond with the children and I even remember some of them comming back after their summer hols with new clothes and toys for the children. Children were taken out at weekends or for days by people who lived in the area too and I remember my Aunt even took out a little boy on a regular bases and when he was adopted his new family called him after my uncle.The children there had nuns and nurses who really cared for them.

That is nice to know. It's a pity it's so hard now to get info on it.

• Advertisement

Was born 1st oct 1974 believe my birth mum named me catherine. have been on to Hse several times keep getting told i am on waiting list. feel so fed up with the whole prosess

• Registered Users Posts: 1 una maguire

Hi does anyone remember a baby called David with black hair .He was in the home around 1976,would be grateful for info please.Una

• Registered Users Posts: 4 TheBuggerMom

was anyone here adopted through Fr Regan in the mid eighties from St Claires in Stamullen? I have heard that there were some dealings that he did that were not completely by the book but most of the records that I request for are "gone" or apparently dont exist. However there are some huge discrepancies with my adoption and that of my brother and sister and I was wondering if anyone else had these problems too? Genuine enquiry as it has haunted me for the last couple of years. Some including my parents were given us while they were over the legal age requirements for adopting children, I was not adopted until I was supposedly three months old but my adoption cert says otherwise, my brother's birth mother supposedly had a teenage pregnancy where the father was not in the picture but we found out when he was sixteen that she married his birth father and also had eight other kids with him one a year after she gave up my brother, and my sister cannot get her medical records because apparently her mother was so sick that if she got that she would be able to trace her through that alone. It all sounds very suss to me. I have started my search with the HSE in Drogheda two years ago and I am still waiting to hear anything from them despite being told constantly that I am next on the list. It seems like they are trying to avoid the situation completely!

Something else that I thought was quite unusual was that he made regular visits to my adoptive parents for years after we were adopted. I understood that the usual procedure was that the investigations were done prior to the children being handed over and that all ties thereafter are usually cut in order to make the parenting more natural for the adoptive parents? Why would he come to visit so much with excuses of "he was just in the area" or he happened to be passing and thought he would drop by?

We are still waiting to hear too. They said the waiting list can be over two years,,

It's so hard to get any type of info. Are there any other sites that ye know off where people are looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭mamafi

Have you joined the adoption rights allience group on facebook kitty....it is a closed group that only members can see your posts...they are a really helpful group of people :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ritakelty

Hi i was adopted. i contacted the adoption service Child and Family Centre
    ST.Marys Hospital ,Dublin Road Drogheda, Co.LOUTH.Phone 0419832963 or 0419833o67.They gave me non-identifting information.Iwas transferred from ST.Peters Castlepollard to ST.Josephs Stamullen on the 4th october 1967.Was any one else transferred as well.I dont know why that happened.I was a month old when transfeerred.would love to hear from any one that has any information about both places.Thanks Rita.

What's everyones update that posted on this? x

I have since found out I was born in Drogheda hospital before I was sent to st josephs. My birth mum gave her name as dympna Harris. She gave her address as the butlins camp in mosney. I was named Jennifer. None of this info came from social worker in Drogheda she was useless. I got help from people involved with adoption rights alliance. Without them I would of got nothing. I have yet to find bm as she is married now. Social worker has her contact details but said she doesn't want contact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 finbar markey

I was in St Clare's from 1975-79, so in a way I probably met some of you guys. It took 18 months after requesting a very specific array of documents from Drogheda to receive a letter that gave a brief overview, a rosy, flattering picture of me and yet I know at nearly four I wasn't eating solids yet, had a diet of mashed bannana and SMA, I had no language, was never outside, never saw a car and refused to get into it in fear. I received nothing that I asked for, i wanted copies of documents after viewing originals not a fairy-tale. I'm in the process of writing my response. The social worker soundled lovely on the phone but i'd prefer a grumpy person that gave me what i want.

Advertisement