Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registered blind drivers! ?

Options
  • 03-03-2017 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone shed light on how a driver can be registered blind but still drive!.., only I cannot understand as the 2 to me conflict!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154715640483001&id=167613868000

_
    _
    _

GARDA post taken from their Facebook post today:

Please note that not all Disabled Drivers or passengers use wheelchairs!!!!

Disabled Person's Parking Permits or Cards are available to people living in Ireland with certain disabilities, some that may not appear obvious and those who are registered blind, whether they are drivers or passengers.

The parking card can be used by a disabled person in any vehicle in which he or she is travelling. This means that a disabled person who is being driven at different times by different people can bring the parking card with himself or herself and display it in the appropriate vehicle.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I think your post answers the question. The holder of the card, doesn't have to be the driver, but can be the passenger as well, and is transferable between cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

the clue is in the phrase
    whether they are drivers or passengers.

Ninja'd by Mint Sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Could being blind in one eye count for a disabled badge?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Ah right , so I should be reading it as "the holder being a badge holder, whether they are driving or passenger" rather than a "registered blind driver using a badge" then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

You might need a badge yourself OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Echolocation

Del2005 wrote: »
    Could being blind in one eye count for a disabled badge?

You have to have perfect 20/20 vision dont ye? (Even if that means aided by glasses I think) isn't that how it works?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Nah people with a glass eye drive

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

There are many types of visual impairments.

Being gee-eyed driving is not recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

while we're at it....are deaf people allowed to drive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You have to have perfect 20/20 vision dont ye? (Even if that means aided by glasses I think) isn't that how it works?
    For driving? No. It doesn't have to be perfect, there's an allowed tolerance.

My understanding is that in some cases a person may be legally blind but with corrective lenses can just about manage to get inside the limits of what's required to drive.
    fryup wrote: »
    Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

fryup wrote: »

naw cause they cant hear the car stereo ;)

Guards must be turning a blind eye

feck me .. blind people driving :eek: ... whatever next? !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭Allinall

feck me .. blind people driving :eek: ... whatever next? !

It the reason pedestrian crossing lights beep beep when they turn red- to alert blind drivers to stop.

Allinall wrote: »
    It the reason pedestrian crossing lights beep beep when they turn red- to alert blind drivers to stop.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Boom_Bap wrote: »

Being gee-eyed driving is not recommended.
    Enough of this overly-technical medical terminology!

that would be a cool party trick though and such a conversation piece taking out your glass eye and placing it on the table

... even better conversation piece would be taking out 2 glass eyes and giving them to the passenger to take care of whilst your driving :D ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

You can drive if you're registered blind once your guide dog is with you , you must however have a white cane in the car at all times to clatter blind cyclists.

• Advertisement

You can drive if you're registered blind once your guide dog is with you , you must however have a white cane in the car at all times to clatter blind cyclists.

why drive if you have a guide dog? - can you not let the guide dog drive? ... if its not blind that is ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Just let the dog do the driving instead.

He's not great with traffic lights though, the old colour blindness gets him every time.

maudgonner wrote: »
    Just let the dog do the driving instead.

He's not great with traffic lights though, the old colour blindness gets him every time.

haha - feck driverless cars ... this IS the future ... we could all be chauffeured by dogs!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm usually blind...

drunk when I drive. Makes the trip funner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Wonder was this post by the Gardai a response to the photo that was going around Facebook of the squad car parked in the disabled bay outside a McDonalds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭RoisinClare6

I have 2% vision in my right eye which also has a squint and I am allowed to drive

• Registered Users Posts: 23,661 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Plenty of visually impaired people are perfectly capable drivers, and with car adaptations, people who normally have to use a wheelchair to get around, can drive too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,661 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I have 2% vision in my right eye which also has a squint and I am allowed to drive

Yep! :)

(with the caveat that you can actually drive of course! ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Homer

My missus once asked me what the rumble strips were for as you approached certain roundabouts.. I told her they were so blind people would know they were approaching a roundabout.. worst part.. she believed me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

OSI wrote: »
    Sure I remember watching a news story before on a lad in the UK missing both his legs, half an arm and an eye and still driving an M3 :eek:

Pfft! Bartosz Ostalowski is missing both arms :D

Advertisement