Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think were the most shocking murder cases in Ireland and why do you think

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

John Gallagher murdering Annie and Anne Gillespie in Sligo General Hospital car park. And then tried to kill a third. Got off on an insanity, escaped skipped to the UK and only came back when the law changed so didn't have to spend real time in prison.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/icrime/two-families-live-in-fear-of-double-killers-return-to-community-194917.html
    The man who cheated death when double killer John Gallagher’s gun jammed in his face says he fears he will have to come face to face with him again soon.

Where is he now ?
    https://www.donegalnow.com/news/double-killer-gallagher-tells-court-he-lived-in-fear-of-estranged-brother/51606

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

there was a nun raped and murdered while she waited for a bus sad ****er that done that to that angle

sleep gentley to nite sister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Its not the most shocking but Darren Fawns has always stuck in my mind because of my age and location as well as the fact its never mentioned even though nobody has ever been charged.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/904645.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

The ****er works as an accountant over in the U.K. Now too. His profile on the company website is readily available via google. Pure scum.

He has done really well for himself. His sentence was far to light imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The Ballyseedy massacre is a story which has haunted me ever since I heard it. Near the end of the civil war, a group of IRA prisoners was taken from prison by the free state army and forced to clear land mines from a road, apparently in the hopes that they'd all get killed doing so (rage was high due to an ambush by the IRA a few days earlier in which several free state army personnel were killed). Essentially what happened was that the prisoners managed to clear the road successfully without setting off any of the mines, so some scumbag who was leading the army group decided to tie the prisoners together in a circle around a remaining mine and deliberately set it off to kill them. One guy was thrown into a nearby field by the force of the explosion and somehow survived with minimal injuries, which is how the story subsequently leaked out (the official line is that the men were simply killed accidentally while clearing mines).

I'm not sure why that story in particular sticks in my mind but I think it's just the unspeakable evil of letting these guys think they're safe and then the thought of what it must have been like waiting to die while the rest of the guys are being tied together, knowing they're going to blow you up at any moment. Summary execution is horrifying in and of itself but this one strikes me as particularly horrific given the psychological aspect of the prisoners' last moments and final thoughts while waiting to be blown up.

I was at a wedding down there recently and I read this at the time and I was shocked. It's the sort of story you'd read about ISIS doing to their captives. Animals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,310 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

All murders are shocking but for me the one that still haunts me 23 years on is a murder committed by Brendan Patrick O'Donnell in Cregg Wood, Co. Clare.

Imelda Riney (29), her son Óisin (3) and Fr. Joe Walsh (37) lost their lives (RIP)

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/bodies-of-mother-and-son-3-were-found-ritually-slain-murder-trial-is-told-1.22131

Same as that, Fr Joe was a priest here for a few years and O Donnell used to be around here a lot as well as he had relatives in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

The Graham O'Dwyer case was extremely unsettling- not just because of how it went down, but because I met him not long after he appears to have done it. I worked for an engineering firm that did business with him. Completely unremarkable man, very much a type that would "blend in". My boss noted that on business trips away, normally teams would sit up in the bar playing cards and having a drink, whereas he would always retire to bed early (he wondered aloud if perhaps he was actually visiting red light districts).

Freaked me out to have had exchanged pleasantries with a psychopath.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Kyle Curran, a child killing from the 1980s that got forgetten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

Red Kev wrote: »
    July 1982. The murders of Bridie Gargan in the Phoenix Park and farmer Donal Dunne three days later by Malcolm McArthur. He was found hiding in the then Attorney General's appartment. In between the muder and the arrest he had had a chat with the Garda Commissioner about the murders. It gave rise to the GUBU term.

If it happened today boards.ie, Twitter and Facebook would collapse under the strain, it was so shocking.

Murders in Ireland were almost unheard of back then outside of the NI conflict, but a random killing of a nurse in the Park and how she was found would cause a huge story even today.

To me, still the most shocking one of the lot, even though I was living in Germany when Veronica Guerin was murdered and it made top news there three days running.

The Sunday Independent have an interesting story tomorrow relaing to this apparently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭please helpThank YOU

the most shocking murder for me has two british army corporals lynched by the mob of animals there names are wood and howes 1988 at funeral of kevin brady you can watch it on you tube sum ones to put a line this very shocking murder by a shower of animals very hard to watch live on tv bcc news at the time that is one of the most shocking cases of animal murder case in Ireland just watch it now mob killed two british soldiers after you would irish people if you where english is so bad we where like animals bit bulls would carry like the people who this murder are evil

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

the most shocking murder for me has two british army corporals lynched by the mob of animals there names are wood and howes 1988 at funeral of kevin brady you can watch it on you tube sum ones to put a line this very shocking murder by a shower of animals very hard to watch live on tv bcc news at the time that is one of the most shocking cases of animal murder case in Ireland just watch it now mob killed two british soldiers after you would irish people if you where english is so bad we where like animals bit bulls would carry like the people who this murder are evil

They'd no business being there in the first place.

jca wrote: »
    Bet you never know this a lot of the British army where of irish descent from irish parents who where sent Ireland and murdered by scum my grandmother knew two women of irish background there sons where murdered by scum mob in the north of Ireland:mad:

Bit harsh, they obviously f...d up but didn't deserve that fate.

The question I'd be asking is why was it caught on television.

As were the murders at the IRA funeral a few days' earlier IIRC. The murders were committed by a loyalist psycho with, it has been alleged, state intel connections.

Bit harsh, they obviously f...d up but didn't deserve that fate.

The question I'd be asking is why was it caught on television.

As were the murders at the IRA funeral a few days' earlier IIRC. The murders were committed by a loyalist psycho with, it has been alleged, state intel connections.
    yes you cant watch the mob on youtube doing this two men if sum one wants to put up the link its shocking its caught live just think what it was like to be one of them . and the had a right to be there its a free country like the irish go to england and mob murderd two irish and the english saying yhe irish should not be in our country I worked in london for years and guy I worked with blow himself up in IRA bomb bus bomb in 1996 Edward o brien and to be honest I never knew he was in the IRA I had a fight with him in job once next i meet him and he bought me a few pints but if i knew he was in the IRA i would have never had this fist fight with him.

Jean McConville

Shocking in itself, moreso in the poll results from yesterday

yes you cant watch the mob on youtube doing this two men if sum one wants to put up the link its shocking its caught live just think what it was like to be one of them . and the had a right to be there its a free country like the irish go to england and mob murderd two irish and the english saying yhe irish should not be in our country I worked in london for years and guy I worked with blow himself up in IRA bomb bus bomb in 1996 Edward o brien and to be honest I never knew he was in the IRA I had a fight with him in job once next i meet him and he bought me a few pints but if i knew he was in the IRA i would have never had this fist fight with him.

Thanks for your response. Mob violence is indeed a terrible thing, however the point I am making is that it needs to be put in the context of the events of those dreadful days.

Jean McConville

Shocking in itself, moreso in the poll results from yesterday

Holy Trollbait alert, Batman!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭chicorytip

jca wrote:
    Idiotic comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

For me its Adrian Dunne who strangled his wife and suffocated his 2 kids aged 5 and 3 cos I knew them to see around town.

Both Adrian and his wife enquired in undertakers how much a funeral would cost just 2 weeks before this happened in Monageer Enniscorthy an estate I know well .

chicorytip wrote: »
    Idiotic comment.

So you think they were right to be there? What did they think their presence was going to achieve? Did they think they were going to be invited back for the tea and buns?

• Advertisement

Obviously you wouldn't know he was in the IRA, that's the point of being a secret organisation and, no, they didn't have the right to be there, no more than I'd expect to be made welcome at a UVF man's funeral wearing an lreland Jersey.

Bet you never know this a lot of the British army where of irish descent from irish parents who where sent Ireland and murdered by scum my grandmother knew two women of irish background there sons where murdered by scum mob in the north of Ireland:mad:

It was their choice to join the Army of an oppressive nation. Once they joined they were sent to wherever the army decided. Life is all about choices.

It was their choice to join the Army of an oppressive nation. Once they joined they were sent to wherever the army decided. Life is all about choices.
    that is so wrong we are an oppressive state in Eire look who is running Eire and the state Eire is oppressive to its people a nation what nation Eire?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

That bloke Mark Nash, who killed the couple in Roscommon and then went onto kill the 2 elderly pensioners in Grangegorman, one very evil man

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/mark-nash-profile-of-a-notorious-killer-31156696.html

He killed the two women in Grangegorman first, the couple in Roscommon was a few months later. It was only recently that he was convicted of the Grangegorman killings due to advances in DNA testing.

that is so wrong we are an oppressive state in Eire look who is running Eire and the state Eire is oppressive to its people a nation what nation Eire?

Eire? That word always gives me the creeps. Who are Ireland oppressing btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

The murder of Jolanta Lubiene and her 8 year old daughter in Tralee a couple of years ago by Aurimas Andruska was shocking for the violence used, in particular to use such violence against an 8 year old girl.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/man-given-life-for-murder-of-mother-and-daughter-in-kerry-1.1990945

Also, the cold blooded murder of Baiba Saulite on her doorstep orchestrated by her scumbag husband Hassan Hassan.

http://politico.ie/archive/baiba-saulite-her-life-and-awful-death

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

My favourite part was when you said Eire.

Omackeral wrote: »
    My favourite part was when you said Eire.

How very gung ho eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

The beating to death of those policemen who had the unfortunate job of attending some dirt bag IRA man's funeral.
    Shows the savagery of some Shinners

Mod-Banned

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

George Hook murdering 'Baby, It's Cold Outside'. I don't even like the song but even just thinking of that version of it brings tears to my eyes.

Advertisement