Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Merlin auction...photos, haul and (some) prices.

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

And the €1,250 Xr2i is now up for €2k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

DakarVert wrote: »
    And the €1,250 Xr2i is now up for €2k

Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

Where?

FB.

Was up for sale since before June for around €3k on DD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

Snap ;)

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭MrRolex

Honestly I think some lads just use the auction to test the water.
    Silly reserve, then see what it makes. Then add 2-3K and put it up on Donedeal.
    Deluded.
    The prices were strong on some of them, so they should have taken them and been grateful.
    What can one do though? One cannot put sense where there isn't any.
    Some lads will hang on, and hang on, thinking they can squeeze another grand out of it.
    My attitude is this; if it hasn't sold after a month then drop the price 100 per week until it does.
    Cars will sell for what the market will stand, like it or not. Hanging on for 6 months isn't going to move it.
    One can lose 500 on a classic, then make 1K on one. That's just the way it goes sometimes.
    Ironically some of the worst rotten cars I have had sold fast, and the best clean ones took ages!
    It's almost like some buyers need a restoration challenge. A show car almost puts them off!
    I had one nutter who even flew in from Germany and drove back a W123 300d I had which was rotten.
    I bought it for £50 more than it was weighed in for at the scrapyard. It had around 400K on the clock.
    Why a German would want a RHD one I will never know.
    But there you go, a fool and his money are easily parted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Did you sell the Bentley at the auction Mr Rolex.
    It was a beautiful car. iirc the bidding went up to 10k?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭MrRolex

Did you sell the Bentley at the auction Mr Rolex.
    It was a beautiful car. iirc the bidding went up to 10k?

My wife's car to be honest. She didn't mention what it sold for, and I didn't bother to ask as it was small money anyway. But yes, it was a nice car. I refused to pay the 1809 motor tax on it, so she just drove it around with nothing on it for years. Gardai don't really pull Bentley's, well unless you are obviously drunk and all over the road.
    Shame one needs a petrol tanker following behind to keep them in fuel though!

• Advertisement

I am not even into American trucks so why do I still really want this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭okistag

I heard from a reliable source 5 vehicles sold on the day and a further 23 after the auction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,584 ✭✭✭✭elperello

80sDiesel wrote: »
    I am not even into American trucks so why do I still really want this?

You want to get in touch with your inner redneck?!

A gun rack and a few dozen empty beer cans rolling around in the back and you're in business!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭PaulK_CCI

And here another Landcruiser for almost 40k !!!! 
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/toyota-landcruiser-bj42-lx-1984-limited-edition/14161839
    Can someone please explain to me why someone would fork out that sort of money for these cars? :'(
    Being in the trade I have of course seen many classic cars that for some reason or another seem to fetch a much higher price than what you would think for the sort of car in question, but they all had some kind of explanation as to why people would pay big money for them (I am thinking of the likes of the Austin-Healey's fetching 30-40k plus, the Jaguar Mk2 which up to 10 years back you couldn't find for less than 30k) but with a Landcruiser BJ series, I just don't get it.
    Actually come to think of it moderators, please move this reply to the classics spotted on donedeal because it;s more relevant there

Best to try to stay on topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,717 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

PaulK_CCI wrote: »
    And here another Landcruiser for almost 40k !!!! 
    https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/toyota-landcruiser-bj42-lx-1984-limited-edition/14161839
    Can someone please explain to me why someone would fork out that sort of money for these cars? :'(

It's an Irish thing Paul. Maybe you haven't been here for long enough (at a time) to grasp that :pac:

I suppose almost everyone in Ireland is no more than 2 generations away from poverty. And maybe 1 generation from being in a farming family. The Landcruisers were farm work tools, and loved, appreciated and admired for their reliability and indestructibility. Most of their value today on this island is because of this nostalgic factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭PaulK_CCI

Ok, I can see the point about nostalgia, but that would mean the old Land Rovers and Nissan Patrols should also fetch a premium.
    But that said, it means I could make a killing importing these. The one below is for sale at 8,5k in Germany (with the steering wheel on the wrong side though)...

0302596780001.jpg?1f6d95498ed822e798cc9591606cd048

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭Bus Boy

Maybe because I own a one owner, Original Irish BJ40, I think looking for 40k for an import is pie in the sky stuff. I went to the original auction of the one that Paddy Connolly bought for 42k plus buyers premium and that was an Indonesian import rebuilt for McCabe by a Californian company that was quiet close to mint so draw your own conclusion. My restoration is nearly complete. Haven't a clue what it's worth but it's value is sentimental and nothing else.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

If that Citroen is actually as good as it looks, then it's quite a good price. As there's little or no market for them here, you'd have a bit of wiggle room in the haggling department.

And no NCT in the past 14 years either :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18 carcrazykieran

Goochy

The 1996 Rolls Royce Silver Spur 3 sold for 6800 plus fees.

Sooo a final update on this I guess.

They've decided not to include the results of the classic auction in this month's snapshot "at the request of both sellers and buyers"

• Advertisement

:rolleyes:

I guess there won't be another classic auction then?

I doubt it.

I think it might really be down to the fact that something like three cars actually sold at the auction itself and the rest were agreed deals between owners and buyers outside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

I doubt it.

I think it might really be down to the fact that something like three cars actually sold at the auction itself and the rest were agreed deals between owners and buyers outside

Prob cos they all had stupid reserves for rustbuckets

liam7831 wrote: »
    Prob cos they all had stupid reserves for rustbuckets

I still can't understand why the owners of the more cheaper cars didn't do no reserve. Why have the hassle of bringing up a car and it not selling , only to have to bring it down again.

Sounds like torture to me.

Advertisement