Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Chuchote wrote: »
    Wearing the right clothes is important to cyclists
    Having seen the influx of garish yellow/green helmets and shoe covers, it would appear that this statement is becoming increasingly incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Try ditching the willie warmer and then set it horizontal on the bars, see if that helps.

I know someone who keeps getting twice the climbing meters that everyone else does on spins with him, and his garmin is at a similar angle.

None of the above might work though, and you might have a unit with a faulty barometer! (which takes its readings from a small hole on the back)
    is it possible that the hole is blocked by the cover?
    Alek wrote: »
    1. hole may be blocked by the cover
    2. hole may be blocked by water trapped under the cover

Thanks for the advice. Didn't think of water ingress but ditched the willie warmer and no difference.

Funny thing is, the problem is intermittent with both altitude and temp.

Time to hit up Garmin customer support methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

6 Shillings for a large fur muff? Shouldn't that be in the Bargain Alert thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

CramCycle wrote: »
    Having seen the influx of garish yellow/green helmets and shoe covers, it would appear that this statement is becoming increasingly incorrect.

I'm sort of intrigued by all the people wearing helmet rain covers all year round, including the summer.

I assume they just don't want to forgo the extra hi-viz, and the loss of ventilation perhaps is unimportant to them, or they haven't considered it.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I'm sort of intrigued by all the people wearing helmet rain covers all year round, including the summer.

I assume they just don't want to forgo the extra hi-viz, and the loss of ventilation perhaps is unimportant to them, or they haven't considered it.

Agreed.

I'd rather wet 'helmet hair' for the rest of the day than sport a rain cover on my helmet while on the bike.

Slightly related, I'm loving my new Galibier Tourmalet 2 rain cape that arrived just in time for the monsoon season this week.

• Advertisement

I should add, I've seen people wear the rain covers when it's not raining. Again, I assume they just think they shouldn't refuse any hi-viz that passes before them.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,038 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Envy of Orwell club kit will get you nowhere. :pac:

Lumen wrote: »
    Envy of Orwell club kit will get you nowhere. :pac:
    Not my cuppa tea really, for some reason, it just doesn't look that great when I am overtaking them all the time on my commute home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

cjt156 wrote: »
    6 Shillings for a large fur muff? Shouldn't that be in the Bargain Alert thread?

Mmmmdepends. In 1913
    The ‘spare-men’ earned a paltry weekly wage of 9 shillings. Significant deductions were made for such items as the company uniform and rule book. New employees received no pay for the first six weeks of their employment. In addition, workers could be reported for petty infractions of the company’s strict code of conduct and so incur deductions on their already meagre wage. Given the conditions under which the tram workers laboured, Larkin described William Martin Murphy as ‘the most foul and vicious blackguard that ever polluted any country’.

https://dublin7peopleshistory.wordpress.com/2013/08/26/on-this-day-in-1913-the-dublin-lockout-begins/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I feel like SportsPursuit are trolling me.

I placed an order at one address, when had to move office I sent a Customer Service message to update the address, they pretty much immediately contacted me with instructions to be fair.

After I input it they sent me a message querying if the address was correct, as their message form doesn't allow commas or spacing apparently.

I replied by resending the address in numbered order i.e. 1. Office name 2. BUilding name 3. Area name. 4. Post code.

Got the dispatch message today...address in order 4, 3, 1, 2....Errrmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,968 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I feel like SportsPursuit are trolling me.

I placed an order at one address, when had to move office I sent a Customer Service message to update the address, they pretty much immediately contacted me with instructions to be fair.

After I input it they sent me a message querying if the address was correct, as their message form doesn't allow commas or spacing apparently.

I replied by resending the address in numbered order i.e. 1. Office name 2. BUilding name 3. Area name. 4. Post code.

Got the dispatch message today...address in order 4, 3, 1, 2....Errrmm
    I'm going through the same horror with a change of address. We sold our house and are renting temporarily until something attractive comes on the market. The last time we moved (16 years ago) it seemed fairly straightforward but this time we seem to be in a vicious circle whereby some utility companies won't accept a change of address without proof. And what proof do they require - yes a utility bill! FFS! :rolleyes:

Several other institutions whom I contacted, thanked me for informing them of my change of address by letter to my old address. :rolleyes:

(BTW - I'm in a sort of heaven with the rented house. The location doesn't really appeal to us to but there's a fantastic shed with 6 fluorescent lights, work benches etc., and a heavy duty steel door The owner was into motorbikes and had it set up to work on them. Mrs WA in wondering how I seem to be able to spend so much time in there! :pac:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'm going through the same horror with a change of address. We sold our house and are renting temporarily until something attractive comes on the market. The last time we moved (16 years ago) it seemed fairly straightforward but this time we seem to be in a vicious circle whereby some utility companies won't accept a change of address without proof. And what proof do they require - yes a utility bill! FFS! :rolleyes:

Several other institutions whom I contacted, thanked me for informing them of my change of address by letter to my old address. :rolleyes:

(BTW - I'm in a sort of heaven with the rented house. The location doesn't really appeal to us to but there's a fantastic shed with 6 fluorescent lights, work benches etc., and a heavy duty steel door The owner was into motorbikes and had it set up to work on them. Mrs WA in wondering how I seem to be able to spend so much time in there! :pac:)

Where is this rental Nirvana? Tell us when you move out and it's back on the market. Apartment living, leaves little room for anyway to do but the most basic of maintenance and cleaning at the moment. My neighbour is probably sick of me being in the hallway cleaning the bike and doing the various things I'm okay at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I've wondered for awhile now that there must be a market for some kind of foldable bike bath/workstand combo for apartment dwellers. Not something I could design myself tbh.

When I lived in an apartment, I did all my maintenance in the parking space assigned to my apartment under the building, as I thought I might as well get some use out of it, the price being included in the rent for the apartment. Some vigilance was required to stop people treating it as a "free" parking space though.

This problem continued when I moved to a housing complex with centralised parking. When I asked people to stop parking in my space, they protested that I wasn't using it. I mulled over hanging my washing out in their garden in response.

I saw Wishbone Ash on the BBC4 last night (the band, rather than the Boardsie). On the basis of this piece (Van Dis? -- sort of a bop workout) they really were great musicians.

This problem continued when I moved to a housing complex with centralised parking. When I asked people to stop parking in my space, they protested that I wasn't using it. I mulled over hanging my washing out in their garden in response.
    While I have a dislike of private clampers, you could inform your neighbours that their reg is not registered to that space and the clampers don't care if it's normally empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

When I lived in an apartment, I did all my maintenance in the parking space assigned to my apartment under the building, as I thought I might as well get some use out of it, the price being included in the rent for the apartment. Some vigilance was required to stop people treating it as a "free" parking space though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih6YmOJnr0E

While I have a dislike of private clampers, you could inform your neighbours that their reg is not registered to that space and the clampers don't care if it's normally empty.

Not a live issue anymore, as I don't live there now. It got amicably solved in the end.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Do my bike washing and maintenance is done in thy footpath outside ny flat, but it's in the complex off the main road so it's grand. Bringing buckets of water up and down thy stairs is a total pain in the hole though.

I've managed to feck up my front brake on the tourer when trying to fit the dynamo light. Tried watching a video on canti brakes but to no avail. A trip to lbs where it'll probably be fixed in all of 5 mins I'd say beckons

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,859 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Weepsie wrote: »
    Where is this rental Nirvana? Tell us when you move out and it's back on the market. Apartment living, leaves little room for anyway to do but the most basic of maintenance and cleaning at the moment. My neighbour is probably sick of me being in the hallway cleaning the bike and doing the various things I'm okay at.
    might it be worth approaching the newly rebuilt rediscovery centre in the pumphouse in ballymun to see if they'd consider let you using their facilities for a small fee?

Good idea actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Is that different to the Boiler House?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,859 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think someone posted that they're looking for someone to run the bike recycling on a three day a week basis - which might imply the workshop is unused the other days?

i think someone posted that they're looking for someone to run the bike recycling on a three day a week basis - which might imply the workshop is unused the other days?

Or maybe that someone else runs it the other days?

yeah, that's a possibility too. i know the chap who runs the furniture place to see, nice fellow called ger. have dropped in a few things over the years.
    i might pop in and ask about the bike facilities.

Bless me Raam, for I have sinned.

Dressed for the road bike this morning but, on a whim, jumped on the MTB for the commute. Without changing my attire.

It was mostly dark. I may have gotten away with it.

Dressed for the road bike this morning but, on a whim, jumped on the MTB for the commute. Without changing my attire.

****!!!

Nobody told me there was a dress code! I have been making terrible foxes paws all these years! What is the correct dress for mountain biking versus road biking?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

As long as it was all white, then I have no problem here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,968 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...Dressed for the road bike this morning but, on a whim, jumped on the MTB for the commute. Without changing my attire.....
    It would have been much worse if you had done it the other way around! :eek:

*shudders*

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement