Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Groceries - how much weekly?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

2 adults 2 kids .... I have a definite shopping list of what I need and a strict budget of €100 ... ALDI and butcher... once a month then I do a bigger shop maybe around 150-170 when I get dog food and cleaning products and a few bottles of wine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

300 euro.

I like to treat myself to the finer things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

_Brian wrote: »
    2+2 family here.
    Typically €80 in Aldi, €20 on butcher, €50 fruit and veg.

€150 total.

That's a crazy amount to be spending on Fruit and Veg, how can you even spend that amount considering how cheap it is nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

300 euro.

Jasus I thought I was bad. I tend to splash out on healthy stuff like wheatgrass and coconut oil which aint cheap. Then there's the whey protein because I'm lifting like a motherfcuker so I need to keep up the protein synthesis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Between €60-€70 per week for 2 adults and a cat. That includes non food/toiletries too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭elstingeo

€20 - €30 odd a week as a single man living alone. That includes 6 meals, lunches with snacks for the week and some toiletries. All from aldi and Tesco the odd time. Obviously there's some weeks when it's more costly if I have to buy cleaning products etc when they run out but that's my budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

300 euro.

What do you buy that you'd be spending that each week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

eviltwin wrote: »
    What do you buy that you'd be spending that each week?

Fillet steak and the fancy brand names. Wouldn't shop in tesco like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

I spend about €50-60 just on myself.
    I'm fairly picky with food though, I only go for organic and unprocessed and that kind of thing so it all adds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,226 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

€100, 2 Adults, 2 kids.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

5starpool wrote: »
    About €60 per week in Lidl for 2 people. If I did the shopping on my own though I could probably shave about a tenner off that most weeks.

You think that and so did I. Alas, that is not how it works.
    Sure, you don't buy the fairy liquid or the plug in air fresheners that she hops in the trolley but you do buy other crap.

Example:
    I was sent to the shop by an ex to do the weekly shop.
    I asked had she a list and she said 'Sure just get the usual'
    Grand.
    I landed bacl with a few frozen pizzas, a chicken, 12 cartons of banana milk, biscuits, a few packs of emerald sweets, a dust buster for the car and the Godfather boxset.
    She never made that mistake again.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Around €50-€60 for the 2 of us per week. There's usually a take-away day on top of that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Buy meat and chicken breasts in butchers and then the rest between Aldi, Asian shop and Tesco (odd time) works out at about €35 per week for 2 adults. Cook at home and make lunches too. Usually it's chicken, fish or some suit of beef each day so were not exactly slumming it. Not much of the food we buy would be pricesssd and I think that makes a big difference when shipping.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

shocksy wrote: »
    That's a crazy amount to be spending on Fruit and Veg, how can you even spend that amount considering how cheap it is nowadays.

We'd spend about half our budget or more on fruit and veg - what's so odd about that? It's what we eat most of, after all?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mrpdap

Buy meat and chicken breasts in butchers and then the rest between Aldi, Asian shop and Tesco (odd time) works out at about €35 per week for 2 adults. Cook at home and make lunches too. Usually it's chicken, fish or some suit of beef each day so were not exactly slumming it. Not much of the food we buy would be pricesssd and I think that makes a big difference when shipping.

€35 per week and you have chicken, fish or beef daily?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    I spend about €50-60 just on myself.
    I'm fairly picky with food though, I only go for organic and unprocessed and that kind of thing so it all adds up.

Unprocessed food is the cheapest - fruit/veg when you compare it to buying a prepared fruit salad etc.

Buying a bag of dried beans is cheaper than buying tins.

Organic stuff is more expensive but unprocessed stuff is generally cheaper as people want to pay someone to process it for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

mrpdap wrote: »
    €35 per week and you have chicken, fish or beef daily?

Yes. Go to a great butcher that looks after regular customers. Visit him maybe once every 4-6 weeks for chicken and beef. I then split it into portions and freeze it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Just had a look at last year, spent on average €161.25 per week for 2 adults and 2 children. Although that wouldn't include what gets spent at the farmers markets, so could probably add another €20 or €30 to it.

Plus 15 a week on takeaway, damn, got to cut back on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

this thread caugth my eye as we were only discussing our shopping spend over xmas.

really surprised how some people with families spending so little compared to us ( 2 adults, no children / pets )

according to the banking budget tool for 2016 it's saying spent 9k on food stuff ( tesco / aldi / butchers / fish monger ) so that's about €170 / week (this would include all toiletries / cleaning stuff) , which from reading through the thread is high for only 2 people. :confused:

we dont throw out a lot either and always use everything..think need to take a look!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Bulmers wrote: »
    ( 2 adults, no children / pets )
    according to the banking budget tool for 2016 it's saying spent 9k on food stuff ( tesco / aldi / butchers / fish monger ) so that's about €170 / week..!
    :eek:
    You should be aiming for ~€30pppw max

We are very lucky in Ireland in that we have so much choice, good quality food and importantly good value. We take it for granted.

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »

We are very lucky in Ireland in that we have so much choice, good quality food and importantly good value. We take it for granted.

€30 ? im not sure i would have enough to eat if i only spent that much.

We spent maybe 40e a week each and the house is never bare but i dont think we would come out with much for 60e. Some meat can be 8e a pop so thats almost 10e gone already.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

If we are eating healthy it could be €100 with our spend on lean proteins and fresh produce. If you don't eat complex carbs, you need a lot more meat on your plate. I could feed us for a week on about €30, but we wouldn't be eating a balanced diet.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Parchment wrote: »
    €30 ? im not sure i would have enough to eat if i only spent that much.

We spent maybe 40e a week each and the house is never bare but i dont think we would come out with much for 60e. Some meat can be 8e a pop so thats almost 10e gone already.

Myself and my girlfriend comfortably feed ourselves on less than €60 a week.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 5,226 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

It all depends how much food you get for your money, between shopping at Tesco or Aldi can make a big difference.

Not really sure as it varies every week depending on what needed but maybe around 60 euro per week between two of us on average. I don't normally eat breakfast, buy lunch everyday and we would eat out or get take away 2 or 3 times a week so that reduces the grocery spend a fair bit.
    Shenshen wrote: »
    We'd spend about half our budget or more on fruit and veg - what's so odd about that? It's what we eat most of, after all?

It looks very high to me if it's just referring to fresh stuff.. I don't eat fruit and veg is dirt cheap so less than 10 euro a week would cover us for both. I'd spend far more on meat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Lux23 wrote: »
    If we are eating healthy it could be €100 with our spend on lean proteins and fresh produce. If you don't eat complex carbs, you need a lot more meat on your plate. I could feed us for a week on about €30, but we wouldn't be eating a balanced diet.
    Course you would.
    There are plenty of recipes online to meet the €30pp spend.

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Myself and my girlfriend comfortably feed ourselves on less than €60 a week.

Maybe you eat less than us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I'm very surprised how little is spent on meats. I presume most people are not bothered with free range or organic meats at the budgets you're taking about?

We are lucky to have most of the larger supermarkets close by us (Dunnes,Tesco,Aldi,lidl,SuperValu) including a local butcher, but free range/organic meats are bloody expensive no matter where you shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

snubbleste wrote: »

really, €30 each / week?

we do buy organic stuff and fresh, we don't eat processed stuff that much. What i do notice dear are nuts and seeds as we make our own flap jacks and muffins , stuff like that.

We would also get free range chicken, same when we get fish, so maybe that's part of it too.

We bring our lunches / meals to work aswell so no money spent ( my place has no canteen anyway )

Our main shop is done in tesco, just for handiness every 2 weeks which is usually around 160 - 200 and then maybe fruit / bread top up weekly in Aldi or local Dunnes.

meats / fish would be 4-6 weeks and about €40ish each time

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

It looks very high to me if it's just referring to fresh stuff.. I don't eat fruit and veg is dirt cheap so less than 10 euro a week would cover us for both. I'd spend far more on meat.

Fresh fruit and vegetables are by far the largest part of our weekly shops. Yes, buying only Lidl's and Aldi's special offers you can get some fruit and veg for under €0.50, but that leaves you with a very small selection. Most of the other fruit and veg range between €1.50 - €3.00, that does add up quickly.

Advertisement