Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2015/16/17/18/19

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Vesper wrote: »
    If I apply for a mortgage and dont get approved does that go against me?!

I earn 28k but would like to apply, just to see if I can get a small mortgage for a property abroad. If I dont get approved will that go against me at a later date?!

If you apply for any type of a loan a record of a check against your ICB record is made, and any future checks reveal historical checks (I think for a period of 5 years).

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Col_30

If you apply for any type of a loan a record of a check against your ICB record is made, and any future checks reveal historical checks (I think for a period of 5 years).

I could be wrong, but I think only credit agreements remain for five years from the date the loan is cleared. I recently got a credit report and applications I made for credit more than a year ago no longer appeared. I think it could be 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

Vesper please don't bump threads that are years old when a current relevant thread is open, thanks. Posts moved to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭hooch-85

What would be the best way for one to treat a gift sum from a family member that isnt to be shown as part of the deposit? Instead they would want to use it to clear an overdraft, increase savings and put current accounts into a healthier position over the next few months with a view to reapplying after receiving a decline?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

hooch-85 wrote: »
    What would be the best way for one to treat a gift sum from a family member that isnt to be shown as part of the deposit? Instead they would want to use it to clear an overdraft, increase savings and put current accounts into a healthier position over the next few months with a view to reapplying after receiving a decline?

How much are we talking here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭hooch-85

5 grand

Quick question, does anyone know if your pension contributions will reduce the amount we can borrow? I'm currently paying 15% of my wages into an occupational pension. Would I be better off suspend this for six months until we get approved?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭lbyrne121

Yes it is taken into account.. I suspended mine until so it didn't shoe in 3 months salary certs.. The bank said it did reduce how much you can get as pension is deducted..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

lbyrne121 wrote: »
    Yes it is taken into account.. I suspended mine until so it didn't shoe in 3 months salary certs.. The bank said it did reduce how much you can get as pension is deducted..

Is it not clear that you are artificially "circumventing the system" so to speak?

How can a lender (and you yourself) get a true view on your capacity to take on and service a loan if you are to do things like this? Just wondering how effective a strategy it is and how one gets on afterwards etc

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

myshirt wrote: »
    Is it not clear that you are artificially "circumventing the system" so to speak?

How can a lender (and you yourself) get a true view on your capacity to take on and service a loan if you are to do things like this? Just wondering how effective a strategy it is and how one gets on afterwards etc

I suppose it's because if the sh1t hits the fan he can stop paying the high % on the pension, so it still technically means the stress test passes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

What is the minimum salary a Bank will entertain for a mortgage application? Regardless of your savings.

Gael23 wrote: »
    What is the minimum salary a Bank will entertain for a mortgage application? Regardless of your savings.

It is about €35k.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

myshirt wrote: »
    It is about €35k.

Is it the same for a couple?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Hope it's ok to post this question here. We are hoping to get everything in order soon and start the process of applying for a mortgage. So what's the first step? Can I just go and meet a mortgage advisor in any bank? Or Is it better to fill out an application form and have relevant bank statements with me at the first meeting. Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

Blingy wrote: »
    Hope it's ok to post this question here. We are hoping to get everything in order soon and start the process of applying for a mortgage. So what's the first step? Can I just go and meet a mortgage advisor in any bank? Or Is it better to fill out an application form and have relevant bank statements with me at the first meeting. Thank you.

Yep. Easy as.
    Make an appointment with some banks. Some you go in to, others will send an advisor to wherever you want to meet them. They'll go through the process with you, ask you your details (personal, employment, financial) and then probably give you an idea of how much you can borrow, if you are eligible.

We met with KBC in their branch.
    We met with BOI in a coffee shop (they paid :) ).
    Went with a broker in the end.

If you know yourself that you should be eligible, start gathering your documentation!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Gman213

First time poster, long time lurker.

We're hoping to submit an application this month. We're applying for a mortgage on a €320k new build house, and have the old €42k deposit requirement saved.

We've also got about €15k paid in PAYE, and will look to claim that refund this month too, in addition to the €42k deposit.

Working now on the "furniture fund" and this is where my questions comes in.

1. Should we increase the deposit being paid, will a 20% deposit be more favourable when applying, over a 15% deposit? Or should we pull it back to the new 10% requirement, and fit out the house?

2. With me having a base, and variable income. What figure is considered as my total income for the LTI calculation? E.g base of €40k, variable of €40k salary package?

3. We're saving since April, but not knowing how much we needed to save until August, we ramped up to way over required stress test amount. We had a wedding, and one off expenses paid for from savings in the last 6 months. Is this likely to be looked upon negatively?

Thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭kala85

For a single person its 3.5 times their income for borrowing but what is it for two people applying as a couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭syndrome777

it's 3.5 x their income for single,
    and
    3.5 x for their combined income for a couple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Gman213 wrote: »

We're hoping to submit an application this month. We're applying for a mortgage on a €320k new build house, and have the old €42k deposit requirement saved.

We've also got about €15k paid in PAYE, and will look to claim that refund this month too, in addition to the €42k deposit.

1. Should we increase the deposit being paid, will a 20% deposit be more favourable when applying, over a 15% deposit? Or should we pull it back to the new 10% requirement, and fit out the house?

2. With me having a base, and variable income. What figure is considered as my total income for the LTI calculation? E.g base of €40k, variable of €40k salary package?

3. We're saving since April, but not knowing how much we needed to save until August, we ramped up to way over required stress test amount. We had a wedding, and one off expenses paid for from savings in the last 6 months. Is this likely to be looked upon negatively?

Thanks for the help

BOI used 100% of my base + 50% of my variable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Eadaoin L

Thanks for the help

Well done on saving 20% deposit. My other half and I received mortgage approval today with EBS. The process was surprisingly smooth. We applied mid December. We also got approval from KBC however the principal they offered was €90k lower than what EBS offered.

We got married last summer and we were also worried that the costs of such would negatively impact against mortgage approval however thankfully it didnt. We explained all large payments out of our accounts when we were submitting our bank statements and EBS were fine with this.

Bonuses and overtime were not taken into consideration for LTI calculation in our case.

You potentially will be able to avail of better mortgage rates if LTV is 80% however it is likely that house prices will increase if you wait and continue to save for furniture fund. By all accounts the buying process is slow so you can always work on saving for fit out/furniture while your waiting for sale to be finalised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

Our Mortgage was drawn down yesterday and we were expecting closing and keys this Friday, in time for the weekend to start getting some jobs done while off over the weekend but just received an email from my solicitor saying they received a bank draft from our Bank so it won't clear until at least Tuesday now, so closing some time next week now instead :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

hooch-85 wrote: »

We got a gift from family to help clear a loan and we had to get a gift letter signed by them. Any large chunks would need a gift letter so that the bank has it in writing that the family member will not come back later looking to cash-in on their investment :pac:

I'd be inclined to put as much as you can towards the deposit. An 80% LTV is a fair bit cheaper then 90%. I'd say you'd need to be in the house a while to really know what style/colours you want to go for.
    tony1980 wrote: »
    Our Mortgage was drawn down yesterday and we were expecting closing and keys this Friday, in time for the weekend to start getting some jobs done while off over the weekend but just received an email from my solicitor saying they received a bank draft from our Bank so it won't clear until at least Tuesday now, so closing some time next week now instead :-(

That's so frustrating. I thought banks just did electronic transfers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Contracts signed yesterday and rest of deposit paid.

I emailed and rang property agent for our current rental as wanted to get notice in today so we are covered and can get out by end of Feb.

She was very quick to say "oh well you've been there since May 2013 so you'll need to give more notice than that!" Eh no actually I'm giving you exactly 56 days notice.

Long story short, we've selected a closing date whereby if loan is drawn down around then or after, then the 1st mortgage payment will come out approx 4 weeks after last rent payment... in other words, if all the planets align we won't have to do a rent and mortgage payment out of the same wages packet!

Mink wrote: »
    .... in other words, if all the planets align we won't have to do a rent and mortgage payment out of the same wages packet!

And so it was meant to be.... according to the prophecy.

Well done on your new home Mink!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

Mink wrote: »
    That's so frustrating. I thought banks just did electronic transfers!

That was my understanding! Can't complain too much I suppose, as long as we have the keys by Thursday or Friday next week, that will be under 2 months since we went sale agreed so all in all, we have to be pretty pleased with how quickly it has gone!

we applied to EBS for a mortgage on the 29th of Dec, I was wondering how do you find out if you got approval is it letter in post or does the bank person contact you?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

we applied to EBS for a mortgage on the 29th of Dec, I was wondering how do you find out if you got approval is it letter in post or does the bank person contact you?

After Christmas I would expect a couple of weeks wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

Thanks for the help

Put as much of your deposit to the house as possible. You will be glad of it in years to come and borrowing rates get significantly cheaper as your ltv falls.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

By letter is how we found out.

• Advertisement

morrga wrote: »

By letter is how we found out.

How long did it take you to find out if you don't mind me asking?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement