Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Groceries - how much weekly?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Write the list and stick to it. Even for one shop, no impulse buying and see how ya get on. It's not easy because supermarkets are geared up to MAKE us impulse buy!

When I realised that some stuff I bought ended in the bin regularly, (out of date because I didn't get around to snaffling it on time), I got a big wake up call.

I have a list now and try my best to stick to it.

I buy what I actually like now and know it will be scoffed within date, because I buy for a week or so generally.

Now I'm not perfect, never will be I suppose, but am so much better at not wasting food and paying for stuff I will not get around to eating either!

Now that i think about it i dont think we throw any food out - everything gets eaten.

Maybe we just are both big eaters now that i think about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I've had to think about this, as we (2 adults) get fruit and veg from a greengrocers and meat & fish from the butcher, in addition to the supermarket shop (Dunnes).

It probably totals about 110 per week including detergents, cleaning products etc. I've no idea what food alone would come to.

That's mental spending for two if you don't mind me saying. We are about 60 a week between two. Mix between Lidl, butchers and fruit/veg shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

About 60 Euro a week plus 20 Euro at the butchers every 2 or 3 weeks for two adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I often wonder if we actually know exactly what we spend for the shopping?

I know I was like that. Could go on a Tuesday, and then on a Friday or a Monday again, just because I wanted that special bread or something, and came out a good few quid lighter!

I suppose if we were all anal, and just did the shop on a certain day every week and no more, we could see how the spend goes. But then there is the impulse buy at the garage shop for the paper and then it ends up costing a tenner (apart from the petrol!)

You know what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    That's mental spending for two if you don't mind me saying. We are about 60 a week between two. Mix between Lidl, butchers and fruit/veg shop.

Not at all. We eat well and thankfully can afford it. We had too many years when raising a family and had to scrimp and save, so now we buy what we want. We don't waste any food. Non food items make up a fair amount of the bill too.
    I didn't add the fag costs to that either. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I spend more on beer weekly than groceries..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

2 adults, 3 children, between 120-150 a week.
    Normally ship in Aldi but I've found I can save loads by shopping online with tesco as there is no impluse buying and it points you towards deals.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Less than €20 per week in Lidl for just one.
    Down from about €35 per week when I used to buy junk food and alcohol.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I often wonder if we actually know exactly what we spend for the shopping?

I know to the last cent. I'm pretty anal about keeping track of my spending.

Not at all. We eat well and thankfully can afford it. We had too many years when raising a family and had to scrimp and save, so now we buy what we want. We don't waste any food. Non food items make up a fair amount of the bill too.
    I didn't add the fag costs to that either. ;)

You are dead right, you can afford it so why not?

Payback time! Give the scraps to the kids. LOL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

quickbeam wrote: »
    Less than €20 per week in Lidl for just one.
    Down from about €35 per week when I used to buy junk food and alcohol.

I used to do a week shop in Asda when i lived in Scotland for £15!! Those Scots are tight though so bargains were abundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

2+2 family here.
    Typically €80 in Aldi, €20 on butcher, €50 fruit and veg.

€150 total.

One of the kids is a serious athlete and eats like two hungry farmhands

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

1 adult, 2 kids (including a super fussy eater) about €100 per week between butchers, aldi and a takeaway on Saturday night. Some weeks I might get away with €80 but can't go higher than €100

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Myself and my boyfriend actually shop separately even though we live together. He has a totally different diet to me. He eats meat, I don't. He eats lots of processed food, I don't. I also eat a lot of my meals at work.

We buy things we both eat/use (like eggs, rice, washing up liquid etc) in turns..works out fine! I only spend about €20 a week on shopping. But then I spend about €30 a week on food at work. Luckily the canteen at work is subsided and has high quality meals for very cheap prices. You can get a meal with fish and veg/salad for about €4.50 or a veggie option for €4. So I tend to eat as much as I can there.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

About €60 per week in Lidl for 2 people. If I did the shopping on my own though I could probably shave about a tenner off that most weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

It varies between €20-€30, but there's just me buying for myself. I do tend to buy a fair few (subsidized) lunches in work because lazy, otherwise I know I could spend more. Obviously bigger purchases like laundry detergent might drive that up a few euro, and if I decide to take a notion and batch-cook stuff to freeze it might go up too. I look out for special offers on storecupboard staples too.

I shop in Dunnes because I drive right past it on my way home. Dealz for toiletries. Takeaway once a week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Paullimerick

2 adults
    1teenager
    4 children
    Holy mother of God its unreal what thy go through in a week. Normally shop in lidl and the butchers. It could be between 200-250 a week no matter what.
    The joys of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Aldi about €43 a week for two. Nothing special included. We get about half our veg for free off my OH's dad. Rarely buy meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Two adults, two kids. About seventy in Aldi, 50 or less in Tesco and about 30- 40 in butcher's or fish mongers. Sometimes that would involve wine. I could probably get away with less but I like cooking different things and normally I wouldn't go for the cheapest ham, wine, cheese or similar. We also like to have people over for dinner. We spend almost nothing on take aways, we get them couple of times per year so it could be worse.

Edit: that includes toiletries and cleaning products.

I suppose to be fair, people like myself do not have the "hollowed legs" teenagers, and if they are athletes or footballers or Gaelic players well the fridge has to be the size of a house.

Every set up is different.

But jayzis I don't know how some of you feed the teens.

• Advertisement

It could be between 200-250 a week no matter what.
    The joys of it.

Jayzus.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Not that one

115 a week.

Around 50-55 in aldi weekly.
    Another 30 for bread/milk/papers weekly.
    Another 15 butchers weekly.

Bins tags/cleaning products/tinfoil/firelighters etc works out about 60/month. 15 weekly.

Every 3 months (im guessing) we spend 50-60 on butcher packs of beef and chicken burgers/fillets/sausages/goujons.

Family of 2 adults and 3 primary school kids.

Well the 250 might be at the high end of it but hi people have to eat I think. That is 7 dinners a week X 7 people along with other meals. I think it's not too bad.

Well the 250 might be at the high end of it but hi people have to eat I think. That is 7 dinners a week X 7 people along with other meals. I think it's not too bad.

I guess when you put it that way. Just seems like a huge amount of money. But when you work out the cost per person it isn't that much.

Ah hi there is weeks a lot less too let me add where there is the cleaning out of the freezer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Two adults and 4 cats, we usually spend around 50 - 70 EUR. We shop pretty much exclusively in Lidl and Aldi, with occasional small shops in the Asian and Polish shops. We get dry food and litter for the cats in MaxiZoo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I also think it very much depends what you buy. A pack of basic frozen burgers will be cheaper than a packet of decent mince. Free range chicken will be more expensive than standard one, same for eggs. Spices to make your own curry will add up to more than a jar of premade stuff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

just shy of 30 euro a week to feed my dogs
    1 big shop per month that would be approx say 130, toiletries laundry detergents cleaning products etc
    3 little top up shops between 50-70

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

2 adults. Probably around €100 a week to include food, household products, wine, beer, daily milk, bread etc. Minimum 75% spent in Aldi

• Advertisement

What's the story with people who have pets to feed aswell, I mean the four legged variety!

OMG it's fine if you can feed yourself and family, but sometimes, between pet food, walking, Pet health insurance, the Vets, I think the pets are sometimes in the ascendancy here!

Sorry that only happens in England where they love their pets more than anything. Woops.

Advertisement