Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are accents being lost?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

endacl wrote: »
    *ahem*

"Mammy"

;)

Yes that too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Omackeral wrote: »
    Anyone that pronounces charity as charidee deserves a swift kick to the crotch.

F*ckin Ryanair scratchcard ad on the plane. "Make a biiiig difference to awl are great charidees"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I heard myself on the work snapchat the other day and I sounded pure canadian. Can't help it, I pick up accents really quick.

I'm going home next week so need to knock it on the head pretty sharpish or my life won't be worth living for the slaggings.

Work Snapchat?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Close where we live we have a Romanian ,Welsh, Irish,Polish and Slovakian family's , all have kids around ages of 3 years to 10 and I've sat listening to them talk , its a beautiful sight to be honest ,and the accents are wonderful to hear with that twist of Irish.

All the family's have become real close friends through our children. Pity the whole world couldn't adapt the same .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

dd972 wrote: »
    London has become de-anglicised to the extent that what's called Multicultural London English is the accent that most working class youngsters have there now. The sort of London Cockney accent (the one that Irish people imitate all the time as if people spoke it in Sunderland) mainly exists in the Essex/Kent overspill area.

That tracksuited nasal, gibberish in Dublin wouldn't be any loss if it vanished, any time you hear it you automatically make an assumption that the speaker hasn't been beyond the M50.

How can one be balanced about the Londoners and switch to being so judgemental about the Dubs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I love hearing different accents or langauges around me. Variety is the spice of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭circadian

Los Angeles is not local to anywhere in Ireland

It's the same hemisphere, close enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

bigpink wrote: »
    They aint losing the accent at all if anything playing it up more
    Are you from America? You sound American.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

I've spent the last 30 years in Cork, but I still sound like I've just "cum up from t' pit" :(

And why do certain Irish people insist on asking me if I'm "owrite moite" in an Eastenders accent? God, I hate that :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

The typical "american" accent is essentially what you get when you mix a whole bunch of nationalities/accents together.

So anyone who has spent a lot of time traveling, living and working in multiple countries over a long stretch of time tends to pickup a bit of an americanised accent.

As for kids with the accents, it mostly depends on the school. If they go to the school with nothing but Irish people from the same area they will end up with a strong irish accent.
    However if their class is a mix of lots of accents then will probably have an american accent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

InTheTrees wrote: »
    No. It doesnt work like that.

I work in the USA and a lot of my co-workers are young americans with little experience of different accents.

If I didnt adapt to their way of speaking we wouldnt get much done. Saying something and getting a blank stare in return makes one adapt pretty quickly.

I spent a summer in New York working with mainly young Americans. Fair enough, I had to adopt some Americanisms (sidewalk, fender, etc), but as long as I spoke clearly, I didn't need to adopt an American accent for them to understand me. Maybe its different outside the major cities.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

all saying mom not mam or mum
    *twitches*
    The typical "american" accent is essentially what you get when you mix a whole bunch of nationalities/accents together.
    Nope, it really isn't. It is coming from American media which is all pervasive in the anglophone world and beyond. Those non native speakers who hear/learn the language are far more likely to be first exposed to American english and accents via Hollywood.

Never mind that there isn't really a typical "american" accent in America. They have quite the few. The mid Atlantic drawl more prevalent outside the US of A is a different beast and the Irish version is of a much more recent origin. It was extremely rare before the 1990's and indeed was seen as tacky as fook, the accent of cheesy radio and dishhhco DJ's.

Then again Ireland has had its fair share of apparent insecurities when it came to accents. This country had a real hard on with elocution lessons in schools, particularly girl's schools well into the 80's. Elocution teahcers mae good livings for a time. All too often to scrape off the scent of culshie for kids of parents who moved to the various big smokes in the 50's and 60's.Even by the 1980s I remember young women and men with the early iteration of the Dort Accent whose parents had very strong and for my money far more "authentic" regional accents.
    biko wrote: »
    Are you from America? You sound American.
    "Ain't" is and has been found in pretty much all accents and dialects of English and going way back with it. It's found in Shakespeare and Swift to name two, if memory serves. It did tend to be found more among the lower social classes as time went on, but American in origin it is not.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

tomthetank wrote: »
    Yeah exactly this. Lived in US and Canada for years and through pure exhaustion at being told to "calm down" (because we speak pretty quick by their reckoning) .

I've never lived there, and don't actually know any actual Americans, but we're all constantly exposed to their movies and tv. Whenever I listen to American podcasts, or watch talks on the internet with American speakers, if it's an option i'll always play it at 1.2 or 1.5 times normal speed because they just talk so god damned slowly - in some cases it's like listening to someone recovering from a stroke! I had assumed it was a deliberate ploy to be understood by non native English speakers, I didn't realise they just spoke that way!
    tomthetank wrote: »
    Do that long enough and it sticks, or the american inflection starts to infiltrate and you sound a bit different, a bit less Irish.

Oh dear god, that inflection is appaling - almost as bad as the Essex one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

It's really sad listening to people (mainly girls) only a few years younger than myself without a hint of their proper accent and having this horrible americanised accent.

It's clearly a deliberate affectation of an accent and not naturally occurring as I've watched 1000's of hours of American television and films and haven't picked up an accent.

Accents are good and anything different and unique in this increasingly homogenized world is good.

Thing is though, of all the accents, why adopt an American accent? Good heavens, that does not make one sound intelligent. This is the Queen's language after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

I had a cousin from West Meath who worked all around the world from the age of 18 - 50 and never lost or needed to change his accent. I have friends in Sweden that sound American and they all say the same thing, it's the influence of American TV on them. From a personal point of view my parents and brother would have a neutral Dublin accent due to us being from DunLaoghaire area, however all my friends were Tallaght/Blanch from my teenage years forward and there a distinct difference in my accent to my family's.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

Lt Dan wrote: »
    This is the Queen's language after all.

German ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

FTA69 wrote: »
    F*ckin Ryanair scratchcard ad on the plane. "Make a biiiig difference to awl are great charidees"

Exactly, that's what prompted me to say it. Only landed back the other day from a Ryanair flight. I was half wishing the plane would just blow up rather than hearing that again. Good gravy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Accents are changing, languages evolve, that's just the way it is and always has been.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Is this the first "I'm a muck savage and I hate Dublin" thread of 2017?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

Certainly not in Cork anyway or Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Noticed that kids seem to have a neutral or faux accent nowadays
    Known older people to travel and move away and accents have changed
    Anyone else notice this

Whats a faux accent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

Glenster wrote: »
    Whats a faux accent?

It's like when someone says "faux" when they mean "fake".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Whats a faux accent?
    It's a French word meaning "false" adopted by someone who should really be speaking a dialect of the Queen's English as passed down from illiterate peasant to illiterate peasant since the 19th century like any god-fearing Irishman.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

Omackeral wrote: »
    Anyone that pronounces charity as charidee deserves a swift kick to the crotch.

Along with people who refer to records they like as 'Popmongous' and play nothing but Bachman Turner Overdrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

mikhail wrote: »
    It's a French word meaning "false" adopted by someone who should really be speaking a dialect of the Queen's English as passed down from illiterate peasant to illiterate peasant since the 19th century like any god-fearing Irishman.

I know what faux means.

I just meant, surely someone's accent is their accent.

Just because they aren't talking like their great uncle Pol who ate silage for breakfast lunch and dinner doesn't mean their accent is less acceptable surely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

It will be interesting to hear a young black man or pole from kerry, will they have that accent

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Rightwing wrote: »
    It will be interesting to hear a young black man or pole from kerry, will they have that accent

Well Sean Óg Ó Halpin sounds as Cork as any Corkman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Well Sean Óg Ó Halpin sounds as Cork as any Corkman

I'm talking real african, the congo, nigeria type

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

I know what faux means.

I just meant, surely someone's accent is their accent.

Just because they aren't talking like their great uncle Pol who ate silage for breakfast lunch and dinner doesn't mean their accent is less acceptable surely.

Yes of course someone's accent is 'their accent'. The point however, is that accents have become increasingly homogenised and there is less regional variation. Whether or not that is 'acceptable' is just your opinion.

I think that the most annoying thing is the use of Americanisms such as candy, trash, movie etc instead of sweets, rubbish, film... I know that languages evolve over time but I think the evolution is becoming more rapid nowadays due to media exposure & the influence of American TV etc..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

I've spent the last 30 years in Cork, but I still sound like I've just "cum up from t' pit" :(

And why do certain Irish people insist on asking me if I'm "owrite moite" in an Eastenders accent? God, I hate that :mad:

Because all English people have an accent that's between Barking and Basildon even if they come from Pontefract or Plymouth.

Only Irish people have an accent or a variation of them.

Advertisement