Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Office colleagues and 'donations'

Options
  • 19-12-2016 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Recently in work we've been having a lot of 'whip arounds' for this that and the other, latest being one for a boss because of an engagement.

I find a lot of pressure into giving some money towards these especially before Christmas and they're usually started by the more 'financially comfortable' colleagues who may not have kids, mortgage, big household bills etc etc.

I'm by no way a tight arse it's just the pressure to cough up even if I don't agree with the occasion.

Is a fiver or tender worth the water cooler small talk against you if you don't give?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Offer to go around and clean his house for 2 hours instead. He'll appreciate it more than money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Tell them you can't afford the fiver. Others who also can't afford it will thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Why would you have a whip around for an engagement.

Tell whatever kiss ass organ grinder that you will not be contributing.

An engagment is not some sort of mass charity event.

I'll chip in if someone is having a kid or if someone is ill.

That's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

If its for someones dying kid or a long standing member (wahey) thats retiring.....yes.

If someone wants to climb the dizzy heights of The Sugarloaf, a sponsored 2km walk in an exotic location, a "charity" gambling trip to Vegas or something.

No, jog on fcukface.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

As a kid working in a factory in the early 80s there was a certain type of piece of sheet who organized the 'collections' and it was literally stealing people's wages at the time which were rubbish.

Everyone was afraid to say "no" for fear of being talked about. One day, a lad I worked with told the 'self ordained whipper round' to go **** himself and the sometimes twice weekly collections in the factory stopped unless it was something major like flowers for a funeral.

Everyone knew Mr Whip Round was basically robbing people of their wages so he could look like a 'daycent skin'.

One time he got people to fork up for a statue of 'Our Lady' in the canteen FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

A collection for an engagement sounds ridiculous.

But a lot of workplaces seem to have at least one over zealous staff member who's constantly organising collections for 'big' birthdays, people transferring from one department to another, housewarming presents etc. It's annoying and can really add up.

Thankfully, where I work at the moment, collections are confined to leaving presents, wedding presents and new baby gifts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

Whenever there's a whip around in our office it's usually a big brown envelope so you can contribute whatever you want and no one will do. It's a pain sometimes if I've not much money so sometimes I throw in just a euro or 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

I'd only give something if someone is leaving and even then I wouldn't bother as...well...they're leaving!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭harr

Used to get that the whole time when I did factory work....always someone having a baby, 40th birthday, 21st, funeral, leaving do, broken leg any excuse for some ****er to collect cash...they always had a card for people to sign so others would know who contributed to the collection...I remember the first week working I was asked for a fiver for Mary's baby as they were getting a gift...I hadn't a clue who mary even was as I hadn't even met the woman ...I declined and some people were not to happy with me...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Recently in work we've been having a lot of 'whip arounds' for this that and the other, latest being one for a boss because of an engagement.

I find a lot of pressure into giving some money towards these especially before Christmas and they're usually started by the more 'financially comfortable' colleagues who may not have kids, mortgage, big household bills etc etc.

I'm by no way a tight arse it's just the pressure to cough up even if I don't agree with the occasion.

Is a fiver or tender worth the water cooler small talk against you if you don't give?.

fu(k that - which suck arse is starting that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I hate any time there's pressure to throw money into something. I also don't do rounds in the pub. it's always the sneaky tight bastards who come out having paid for nothing and drinking all night for free, and you look like a publicly tight bastard for not getting involved by saying you'll get your own.

Whip around for a boss because of an engagement - never heard anything as ****ing ridiculous as that. Maybe a few people throwing in literally a euro to buy flowers and a little box of chocolates and a signed congratulations card? But a couple hundred euro or something **** that it's engaged not divorced they're getting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

My missus's old job was like that. One woman left, got an envelope, came back for another while, and left again and got another envelope. Of course when my missus was made redundant, there was nothing, not even a card. Scumbags.

You live and learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

harr wrote: »
    Used to get that the whole time when I did factory work....always someone having a baby, 40th birthday, 21st, funeral, leaving do, broken leg any excuse for some ****er to collect cash...they always had a card for people to sign so others would know who contributed to the collection...I remember the first week working I was asked for a fiver for Mary's baby as they were getting a gift...I hadn't a clue who mary even was as I hadn't even met the woman ...I declined and some people were not to happy with me...

Yes, I was in a situation where someone I barely knew to say hello to, was given a wedding present, and the rest of us got an email telling us to give X amount. I didn't, and if I was challenged on it by the pita who ordered us to contribute, I planned to say 'who?' I heard no more about it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,702 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If its for .... a long standing member (wahey) thats retiring.....yes.
    Must remember to retire in the middle of the year, before people start thinking about XMas ....

:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 249 ✭✭Galway_Old_Man

I only got a card once, when my first child was born. E40 voucher for MotherCare. Never got one for wedding, leaving jobs, birthdays etc. I reckon overall I must down a few hundred on the exchange!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Within the space of a few years one guy I worked with bought a house (housewarming present), became a dad (baby present), got married (wedding present), another baby (another baby present).

People were getting a bit fed up of buying him stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 249 ✭✭Galway_Old_Man

Housewarming present! That's taking the urine. I mean in an office setting of course, different vibe if you're visiting the person.

The only one I ever turned down was for a girl who attempted to run a half marathon for a faux charity. When I say attempted, she gave up half way through. The email which preceded the envelope going around showed her "retreating" to a pub, pint in hand wearing the bib (yes the collection happened the week after this run). Said she hurt her ankle. Not a penny from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭monday monday

office collections..oh how I hate them.
    a lot of people retired around the same time in my workplace a few years ago. people I had never met or worked with. but someone would still arrive at my desk looking for money. I said no.
    HR then send an email out that no one was to be approached at their desk for money. an envelope could be let in the office and if people wanted to contribute they could and whatever amount they felt comfortable with.
    great I thought..until I was asked at my desk was I going to put money in the envelope or not..aaaggghhh
    other people in the office were also told one time that I would be asked for less because I earn less but at the same time another colleague was asked for MORE money(who is the same grade as me) as the required amount for the voucher hadn't been reached.
    its utter madness. these collections were all organised by the same person.
    Its not me being stingy and I will always contribute to someone retiring or a wedding of SOMEONE I actually work.
    I do not like people being pressured to give money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

So why cough up?. Haven't you a voice to say you won't?. No point paying then complaining after. I had similar things. My response was 'I'm not participating in that so anyway' and change topic. No time for nonsense like this, I don't expect freebies from others why should they?.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭cbreeze

We had a colleague who was keen on collecting for this and that minor domestic event but as not everyone in the area was on the same high salary I had to point out that collections pressurize/bully lower paid colleagues and it was not fair. Point was taken.

I'd give for a worthy cause, but absolutely not for people looking for sponsorship for themselves or their kids (trek in Kenya/helping the environment in Thailand, ie, you pay for my holiday/kudos).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,256 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Wheety wrote: »
    Offer to go around and clean his house for 2 hours instead. He'll appreciate it more than money.

especially since OP
    I'm by no way a tight arse .

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭lightspeed

I just started a new job but dont plan on staying long term.

They asking people to buy raffle tickets and funds raised go to vincent de paul.

We short on prizes though as the prizes are only what we have received as presents from clients.

I heard some others mention they will bring in biscuits from at home to give as prizes in the raffle.

Im having no part in it. The concept of giving away money in work is stupid to me. That is were i go to earn my money.

I pay taxes and the its the government job to tackle poverty. My taxes go towards such so why should i pay twice?

Giving people money or gifts for having a child amongst other things is retarded.

Its not my fault if someone is stupid enough to have a child they cant afford to raise and if they can then why would i be giving them money?

Also we have the child benefit here, the financial benefit people get rewarded with when they have a child. So again this is funded by the taxes I pay so why would i be giving you more of my money?

Makes no sense. I never make excuses, I educate people my position so they know to lower their expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Lots of this goes on in my office. Leaving presents for people I would only talk to occasionally, charity bake sales and collections and so on.

I generally don't contribute unless it's for someone I actually know and have worked with directly. Thank god at least they don't do the office Kris Kindle shyte though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Ya not a fan of the whip arounds and i feel really bad when people do it for me. Its happened twice.

Got a few quid when i left my old job and an expensive bottle of champagne when i got married.

Spent the money on drinks for the people who came to my leaving drinks.

Don't actually put any money in the envelope, but make sure to sign the card:

"Congrats X, I'm the one who put the fifty in your card. Make sure it's not stolen by the light fingered git passing the beggar's bowl around for you. Sincerely, MisterBizmuth."

I rarely get bothered by these folks a second time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

I hate any time there's pressure to throw money into something. I also don't do rounds in the pub. it's always the sneaky tight bastards who come out having paid for nothing and drinking all night for free, and you look like a publicly tight bastard for not getting involved by saying you'll get your own.

Yes, I hate the pressure to enter into rounds. For me, it's not even just about the money, I just like to drink at my own pace. But yeah, I hate to buy other people's extravagant drinks too. I find non-Irish people are often much more comfortable saying they want to stay out of the round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Thank god at least they don't do the office Kris Kindle shyte though.

I especially hate office kris kindls because a) if you object, you're suddenly a scrooge who hates Xmas, b) people are under enough financial pressure at this time of year (that "only a tenner" might be a lot to someone) and c) it really is pure distilled mindless consumerism. Buying presents for people you know and love = rewarding. Buying presents for a vague acquaintance = pain in the hoop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,628 ✭✭✭billyhead

Don't give money if you don't want to. Screw what other people think aswell. Everyone has a tongue in their head so use it. I don't bother contributing to these unless its say flowers for a funeral.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

i find that because of contactless payments i rarely have cash on me anymore, i hate to be a tight arse but however it makes life great for:

- avoiding donations and unsavoury cough up style payments in the office
    - letting down junkies and beggars who approach
    - an overflowing coin pocket in my wallet

and thats my 2 cents on the issue

Advertisement