Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conversing with Junkies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Talk to them about Jebus - tends to bring an end to most conversations.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Junkies. Fucking junkies.

I remember many years ago getting the bus into town from Ballyfermot. I used to go to college there - Senior College Ballyfermot - a great place, many fond memories.

I got onto the 78A - single decker - and made my way to the first available seat which, unfortunately, was towards the back of the bus. It was a beautiful warm sunny day and I was looking forward to getting into town, having a few beers with friends.

I sat down, and tried to ignore the hive behind me. I could hear some noises - the assaultive, acerbic tones of the skanger Dublin accent. And then click - a lighter. I presumed that they were either going to smoke a cigarette or a joint. They regularly burn their hash on buses with zero regard for their fellow passengers. However, the smell was far more noxious, dirty, it was heroin. I turned around and there were two of them smoking this crap from a piece of tinfoil. On a bus. On a bus in broad daylight. On a bus with children present. No shame. No sense of self-respect or respect for others.

I told the driver. He did nothing. He could have used his radio to call the police but chose not to. (I couldn't call them as it was a long time ago - no mobile phone then.)

I have to say that I find the tolerance for these people absolutely staggering. They pretty much are zombies except that they don't want brains, they want heroin, and we aren't legally allowed to kill them.

I now have two items on my agenda for power. One - an end to casual Friday. Two - new categorization of junkies as zombies - and the legalized killing thereof.

Compassionate sort, aren't ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Michael 09 wrote: »
    I don't want to start a huge row here, but they're somebody's son/brother. I'm not saying that you have to be their best pal but unless they attack you in any way I don't think it would hurt any of use to treat them as people. I know that they invade personal space etc etc but they're sick (I know self inflicted blah blah). Just walk off, or ask them to leave. You don't have to abuse them.
    True and I do have some sympathy for them, but they're selfish and often dangerous cnuts. They make life that little bit harder for everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

bonerm wrote: »
    I think junkies are actually employed by Dublin Bus to discourage passengers from using the buses and then the routes can be limited or shut down completely as a result.

/sarcasm but possibly true

No I think that role is filled by people shouting loudly into their mobile phones and scangers loudly playing the latest Cascada song :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭bitter_lemon

Dean0088 wrote: »
    True dat!
    Their stance is funny though. Knees slightly bent arms outstretched, head bopping forward. They look like little junkie penguins!
    ha ha. you made me laugh uncontrollably for at least 3 minutes :D
    very funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

prinz wrote: »
    Did you approach them on the scene, identify yourself and make your complaint and basically ask that he be arrested? They can't arrest people because of phone calls alone.

Nope - I didn't have to. When they arrived they saw what he was up to; he didn't notice them as he was too busy hassling people. The guards were intelligent enough to realize that he was the subject of the complaint.

Not that it actually mattered; they could have arrested him because they actually saw him attempt to use intimidatory tactics to elicit money from people. They chose not to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Compassionate sort, aren't ya?

Clearly I'm not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

genericguy wrote: »
    a particularly minging one once asked me on the bus to hold her baby while she rolled a joint. I'm normally big into ranting and confrontation but I was rendered speechless by that.

ah yes..the old "hold me baby ..." trick...forever in her debt....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

Their stance is funny though. Knees slightly bent arms outstretched, head bopping forward. They look like little junkie penguins!
    Like this fella! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEz5GfZUnBU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

I live fairly close to a methodone clinic and am always passing by people off their faces on drugs / drink. Most of them know me at this stage and I've never had any hassle, but, damn, some of them love to talk!

There's one fella who's been around for a good few months, and he's often out when I'm on my way back from work. Without fail, he always shouts over and asks me my name.

I used to just tell him, but he never remembers, so I've tried to get a bit more inventive...

"Anna Banana"

"Bippity Bop"

"Flippery Fred".

I don't think he listens to a word I say, 'cause he always just replies, "ah, that's a lovely name love".

I'm starting to wonder if he's trolling me at this stage and not the other way around. I know other people walking by have given ME strange looks when he yells over at me and I shout "Gringery Gredward" back across the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Gavman84 wrote: »

I actually know (I say know, I know OF him) this junkie. He may seem harmless in the video but he's actually quite a dangerous person with a string of violent crimes and convictions. He's also expecting his first child. Jesus wept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Wheelie King

I hate having to speak to junkies! They're a very social bunch and always seem to want to talk to almost anyone who happens to be around.

No less than an hour ago I was standing on Dame Street waiting ages for a bus to come. There were a few other people at the stop. Along waddles this junkie and announces he's waiting for a 77.

He started spouting all types of crap to people further down the cue. I thought 'grand, at least I don't have to put up with his crap'. A bus came along a few seconds later and then there was two; me and him.

He started talking to me so I turned off my music. Just random crap, the odd racist slur, bitching about 'Da Queeaan' etc... I could see other people looking at me being all smug >:( On top of having to put up with his crap he made me miss my bus because I hadn't noticed it fly by what with him distracting me.

I thought about telling him to **** off. He was a small chap, bending at the knees and not to good at balancing. So even if he tried anything couldn't have been much. But he could also have a needle/knife whatever so I decided I'd just put up with his crap...

Why o' why are junkies so friendly!
    Waiting for a bus. lol. Peasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Spunge wrote: »
    I hate when alcohol addicts talk ****e to me too.

I love you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

I would like to personally meet the idiot who decided the best place for a methadone clinic was Abbey Street...

IIRC it was the only place which didnt generate a flood of NIMBY objections ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭strokemyclover

I think they prefer to be called Junqois

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    True and I do have some sympathy for them, but they're selfish and often dangerous cnuts. They make life that little bit harder for everyone else.

That's exactly what the Roman's used to say about the Christians...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I got a great lesson in all the different drugs available in Amsterdam the other day on the 77. "Der's dis bleedin massif one, righ it's called... oh, well, it begins wi' a K in anyways... an I took ih by accident like, but don't buy it in Morrocco, cause dey'll bleedin follow yeh".

Then her and her partner had a row because she said "pot callin the kettle black" and he couldn't understand her because she was "speakin metaphoricalleeee".

Another time on the Luas, two junkies decided "they'd brighten up everyone's day" by singing for us, cause "Dat bleedin Greek fella is still on de X-Factor - we shoulda auditioned, we woulda won ih!"

Free entertainment with every bus and Luas ticket!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Agonist

They mightn't be all that friendly. I don't know if a junkie was responsible for this.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0520/breaking51.html

A 40-year-old man has died in hospital after he was assaulted on the quays in Dublin this afternoon.

He was taken to hospital with serious injuries after he was attacked on Wellington Quay at the junction of Fownes Street at about 4pm, a Garda statement said.

He was taken to St James's Hospital where he died from his injuries tonight.

A-34-year old man was arrested at the scene and is detained under section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act 1984 at Pearse Street Garda station.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I don't want to start a huge row here, but they're somebody's son/brother.
    And most likely disowned. Hard drugs destroy families, and the family often has to kick out the junkie to protect the rest of the family from them.
    I'm not saying that you have to be their best pal but unless they attack you in any way I don't think it would hurt any of use to treat them as people.
    They'll intimidate people to get money.
    but they're sick (I know self inflicted blah blah). Just walk off, or ask them to leave. You don't have to abuse them.
    If they get in my face, I'll tell them no, f**k off, or "jabba fon cebby", depending on my mood.
    Agonist wrote: »
    They mightn't be all that friendly. I don't know if a junkie was responsible for this.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0520/breaking51.html
    You get money in four of three ways:
    You work for it
    You get it from the state
    You can beg for money
    You steal other peoples money

The first, people do, and but they need to work 5 days a week
    The second, people do, but you only get limited funds, so to get more, you steal other peoples money to fund your own habit. As junkies seem to be out of their heads all day, it rules out the first one, as they seem to have a lot, I wouldn't think they get all that much from the state, it only leaves them with one option.

As for the beggers, most of the beggers don't seem to be out of their heads all the time, so I've left them out of the above rant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I don't want to start a huge row here, but they're somebody's son/brother. I'm not saying that you have to be their best pal but unless they attack you in any way I don't think it would hurt any of use to treat them as people. I know that they invade personal space etc etc but they're sick (I know self inflicted blah blah). Just walk off, or ask them to leave. You don't have to abuse them.

Oh yes they're people. Often times obnoxious people, who you shouldn't have to deal with using public transport for example. It's irrelevant whose son or brother it is. Or daughter or sister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

Thats the type of attitude that lets them breed. We need to get tough on these scumbags. Margaret Thatcher style. Hose them off the streets. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Ok, ok, I'm convinced, Dublin's a ****hole

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

I called the police and explained what was happening. Two Guards arrived after about a minute and went straight to him; his behaviour was an obvious signpost. They told him about the complaint and then ordered him to 'move on.' This he did and the two guardians of the peace had a quick look about, with their hands cheerily tucked inside their vests, then went on their way.

He came back after five minutes and continued to bother people. He should have been arrested. But he wasn't and was free to go about hassling more people. Why? Because nobody, including the police want to do anything about it.

I wouldn't exactly blame the Gards. It's the failure of the justice system we have, if they choose to arrest this guy at least a paddywagon and 2-3 Gardai are out of action for an hour or so while they deal with all the necessary paperwork. Once they charge the junkie he'll be released straight away as the crime isn't sufficient to warrant keeping him in a cell. He'll be given a court date he wont show up for and then a warrant for his arrest will be issued, he'll be brought to court and most likely given some joke of a sentence such as fine he wont pay and a suspended sentence that means fúck all to him.

Sort out the justice system where we can efficiently charge people with their crimes, create a properly staffed and equipped police force and we might actually see an effective system of dealing with junkies / other low level criminals. Until then, it's not worth the Garda's time as if a serious call came out over the radio they're down a paddywagon and 2-3 Garda at minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

the_syco wrote: »

You get money in one of three ways:
    1You work for it
    2You get it from the state
    3You can beg for money
    4You steal other peoples money

HMMM
    Sorry I'm bored...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ballsdeep69

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Cause most of 'em are on drugs.

They wouldn't be junkies if they weren't

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Fukuyama wrote: »
    I hate having to speak to junkies! They're a very social bunch

Indeed they are.I don't think the opiate enthusiast in the narrative was the problem here,he also had to wait an hour for the bus,so extended the hand of friendship and engaged in some chatter on the issues of the day with a stranger to break the monotony of the wait.The tourist board would do well to have men like him among their ranks.I think a pilot scheme to train them up to have a basic grasp of foreign languages and some personal hygiene tips would be worth considering.They are natural bards,and Ireland is known for its rich culture of storytelling dating back hundreds of years.Once trained,they could be put at strategic locations around town and be called 'city ambassadors'.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Only junkie encounter was with one who offered to help me use the ticket machine at Luas Tallaght. Gave him time of day, and told him just off the tram and waiting on a friend, seemed friendly enough chap, even ended with conversation with, no worries bud, have a good day.

Then offered the same service to a few American tourists, how they ended up in Tallaght is another story, when discovered machine was out of order, asked them if he could have the loose change instead.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It would be deadly if you could put them on a leash and keep them as pet's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I don't mind chatting with them, but depending on what they're on at the time you do get one or two who become very suddenly aggressive half way through a conversation without any warning, so unfortunately it's not exactly a relaxing experience.

Advertisement