Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Court reports RTE

Options
  • 29-11-2016 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭

Just wondering when RTE news footage of courts are shown on the news, nine times out of ten the defendants are seen entering or leaving the court on their own. Why is this.
    Any time I've been to my local court, many defendants have most of their family and half their street there to support them. Just wondering like.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

Their brief will have told them in advance to expect cameras and consider options. The family might want not to be pictured. Alternatively it can look good to jury to see your family standing by you - literally. You also have the option of the hand over the face, the newspaper manoeuvre, full on balaclava mode or maybe a donald trump mask

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Ted111 wrote: »
    Their brief will have told them in advance to expect cameras and consider options. The family might want not to be pictured. Alternatively it can look good to jury to see your family standing by you - literally. You also have the option of the hand over the face, the newspaper manoeuvre, full on balaclava mode or maybe a donald trump mask

Surely a jury should be avoiding media related to a case they are over viewing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Think it's that lonesome walk in or out with cameras rolling is when they need someone around. I always thought the defendants were co-operating with the camerapeople and it was all choreographed....obviously not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

As well as above media have to be careful they don't photograph or put someone not charged in the photo, as they could be automatically assumed to be involved in the case & sue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

Surely a jury should be avoiding media related to a case they are over viewing?

Yeah, sorry you're right. It would come into play more inside the court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

The most interesting cases are the ones where people try to defend themselves, would explain the lack of a legal team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

The RTE thing of following people on the street outside of a court is just bizarre. Filming a person who is on trial is one thing, but filming witnesses is just mental.

At the Graham Dwyer trial RTE filmed other lads who had hooked up with Elaine O'Hara on fetish websites and they did the same with many of the expert witnesses. I've also seen them do the same with expert witnesses in gangland trials.

There's no law against filming in a public place, but a bit of fvckin' cop on wouldn't go astray.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Op if you're in the courts so often you'd know the score man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

listermint wrote: »
    Op if you're in the courts so often you'd know the score man.

Well RTE wouldn't have any interest in found-ons.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,505 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Jackets pulled over heads in a haphazard fashion are de rigueur around the courts I'm told.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I see it every day and tbh I don't get it. I can understand releasing pictures of dangerous criminals as a matter of public concern but I don't see why they feel the need to capture every PI plaintiff going.

There is also the option of having your friends/cronies shield you from the press. However, sometimes this can backfire...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

The RTE thing of following people on the street outside of a court is just bizarre. Filming a person who is on trial is one thing, but filming witnesses is just mental.

At the Graham Dwyer trial RTE filmed other lads who had hooked up with Elaine O'Hara on fetish websites and they did the same with many of the expert witnesses. I've also seen them do the same with expert witnesses in gangland trials.

There's no law against filming in a public place, but a bit of fvckin' cop on wouldn't go astray.

I'd say it's just the narrative of the news bulletin & some basic rule of TV storytelling that people like us aren't aware of. If the reporter is reading out a report of what Mr X said in court that day, it makes sense to show the person who made the contribution.

Re the Graham Dwyer case, I wondered why only some of those guys were shown. iirc, about 3 of them gave evidence but I think only 1 of them was shown walking away from the Courts of Justice.

I'd say it's just the narrative of the news bulletin & some basic rule of TV storytelling that people like us aren't
    aware of. If the reporter is reading out a report of what Mr X said in court
    that day, it makes sense to show the person who made the contribution.

That's a fair point.

RTE news has a habit of filling their TV reports with really simplistic images. If it's a story about water charges it will inevitably have images of someone filling a kettle, a tap being turned on, a lad digging a hole in the road to put in water meters etc. It often looks like it was put together to teach primary school kids

Re the Graham Dwyer case, I wondered why only some of those guys were shown. iirc, about 3 of them gave evidence but I think only 1 of them was shown walking away from the Courts of Justice.

Maybe the other two fetish lads were just unrecognisable in their gimp masks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

The reality is that a % of the adult population engage in fetish, and engage in it on a 'safe, sane and consensual' basis, and have nothing to do with the Graham Dwyers of this world.

It strikes me that those people were brave to come forward (particularly for those who don't even live in Ireland, as presumably they had no legal obligation to do so).

It is possible that one practical effect of some of the reporting is potentially to discourage witnesses from coming forward in a similar case in future.

As you say, a bit of cop on from RTE and similar wouldn't go astray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

I think it's totally outrageous. It's gratuitous and unnecessary. Both parties would be stressed out enough without dealing with television cameras as they enter and leave. God forbid I'd ever be in that situation but I'd be inclined to trip them over if they came too close.

There is so little big news in Ireland in comparison to the UK. Hardly a news bulletin goes by without 1 or more court cases being reported each day complete with on location reporter and crew.

Cut the 6/1 news to half an hour, ditch a presenter, ditch a cameraman and a reporter or 2, and lower the license fee.

I might pay it then if they did :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

..or the Martin Cahill Mickey Mouse jocks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Another court case getting top billing on 6/1 news this evening. More wonderful video footage of Bernadette Scully accused of manslaugher entering and leaving the central criminal court. She didn't look much different than she did yesterday and I noticed she was wearing the same coat and cap. I think the coat is a M&S number but could possibly be Debenhams too.

Advertisement