Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"What series are you on?"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Buckfast W wrote: »
    Watching the Sopranos for the first time and loving it (on season 5), also watching suits don't really care for the new season, same with Ray Donovan (how much sh1t can he go through). Watched the first episode of "The night of" last night and meh bit too far fetched but not in a silly tv kinda way.

Finished season 2 of Narcos, loved it.

I envy you watching the Sopranos for the first time. It's my second favourite show of all time. The writing is so good.

LorMal wrote: »
    I don't know what age you are, but I can assure you that television is definitely not in a golden age now.
    That might be true for the US because their TV was absolutely appalling before HBO - with adverts every few minutes.
    But we have had excellent TV since the 1970s. It peaked in the 80s but has declined somewhat since the 'million channels, nothing on' era has arrived.
    The sopranos was excellent - but it's just one series.
    Not much can touch The Wire imo, with the Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Love/Hate, Boardwalk Empire and OZ following. HBO makes amazing TV.

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    I've been meaning for a while to get into shows like game of thrones or stranger things etc but I find myself watching re runs of Always sunny in Philadelphia. That show is just too damn funny.

I also have a problem that if the show is longer than 30 minutes I get distracted and lose interest.
    It's always Sunny is the funniest sitcom I've ever seen. No weak links on that show at all. Consistently funny for almost 10 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Loving Westworld. Best tv show I've watched in a while. Bit slow to start but it's turning out great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭DenMan

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Loving Westworld. Best tv show I've watched in a while. Bit slow to start but it's turning out great.

I really have to get back to it! I watched the first episode about a month ago and a few days ago checked my Sky Planner and there's another five episodes recorded on it. I really liked the pilot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Boardwalk Empire. Really enjoying it so far. Like a period piece Sopranos, which I re-watched immediately prior.

Boardwalk Empire is an incredible show, I'm going to binge it all someday.
    Lia_lia wrote: »

I'm not sold on it, I'm letting a few episodes build up and I'll watch them when I'm on a long flight this weekend.

Currently watching Top Boy, brilliant show.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Just finished season 1 of The Crown, thought it was excellent. Like me some historical drama so might start Wolf Hall next.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

learn_more wrote: »
    I watched the original (House of Cards) back in the 90's. I loved it which is what attracted me to the new version. I'd love to watch it again after all these years.

I watched the first episode of The Wire. I found it a bit depressing so I'm not sure If I'll carry on with it.

I didn't know the BBC were involved in Mad Men? I though it was a purely American production ?

Sorry, BBC quality attention to detail, Mad men was made by AMC.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Seen Narcos season 2 mentioned a few times. Did anyone else find it crap compared to season one? I was going to scream if I say any more images of the wife looking worried out a window by the end of it. She was barely even a character in the first season when things actually happened. Loved the first season.

I think I just prefer good storylines and characters over long drawn out central character development. Hence I much prefer the Wire to the Sopranos, Love GOT but was never overly fond of Breaking Bad. Can see why others like it I suppose, with the exception of Narcos

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

buried wrote: »
    Stick with it, the first episode isn't the greatest but trust me, I wish I had never seen it all just so I could watch it all again for the first time, exactly the situation you are now in. So good.

Yep, I found it took 3 or 4 episodes of the first season of the Wire to really click, but once it does...

Those first few "slower" episodes help to get you to identify with the characters.

Caught up with Season 2 and 3 of Line of Duty from the BBC, quality, edge of the seat stuff about the anti corruption unit of the English police. Didn't know until recently it was mostly filmed in Belfast , Adrian Dunbar is excellent in it and series 3 is very topical and believable. It's BBC 2's most watched drama in years and is moving to BBC 1 in the spring.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure how you can compare the two.

The Sopranos is far more insular, psychological, fragmented, metaphorical and character driven than The Wire. It's mainly about one person (Tony is apparently on screen 70% of the time) and how willing/able is that person to change, in light of the horrible crap he does/gets into. Reminds me of a Dostoyevsky/Modernist novel tbh. Kafka or some crap.

Basically The Sopranos comes down to (imo) how you find Tony Soprano as a person.

The Wire is far more sprawling, political, macro, taking swings and stabs at all areas of society. Reminds me of a Charles Dickens/Thackerey/Tolstoy novel.

That said...

I'm going to go with The Sopranos. I think there's more depth: Tony Soprano is one of the greatest characters in any medium, and that ending, fcuking hell. They nailed that.

Remember watching it for the first time and thinking my telly was bust.

Breaking Bad/GoT don't come close to either imo.
    Breaking Bad was excellent, but was just a bit too cartoonish compared to the Wire and the Sopranos to be as good as those shows.

Game of thrones surprised me how good it was. I'm not really into fantasy stuff but the Lannisters sold me on that show, plus the ruthless character kill offs. But As a fantasy it can be a bit childish for me sometimes. Still great though.

I'd pick the Wire over Sopranos but it's a very close call. The realism of the wire is just crazy. Nothing was sentimental or sacred on that show. Plus it had one of my favourite anti heroes of all time in Omar.

Honorable mention, OZ was the HBO show that kinda started the whole HBO being known for great TV thing off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Just been speaking to a guy who's watching Eutopia, for the first time ever!!!

He was doing my head in, frankly. Because we're in a chat room and he kept giving me little updates on what he's seeing!

" Oh! One of the cops just ..... " " Ooh! I've just watched the scene with the eyes! ". And I'm like; 'Shut up! F**k off and Enjoy it, FFS! I've seen it two or three times already! It's brilliant!'

I'm just out getting some fuel, and I'm thinking: " I wonder if he's met Jessica Hyde yet. Modelling soft, worn, tight denim, in a rather comely fashion! "

I get back in here and he's saying; "

" 'Hello, I'm Jessica Hyde...' what a f**king ending! Jessica Hyde wouldn't get kicked out of the sack though! "

Yep. He'd seen that soft, taught denim ....! ;)

Neil Maskell always does it for me though. Shrug. Shield. Shoot. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

What series are you on?
    The Wire. Watched every season several times from start to finish and still haven't finished it. Some times I think I haven't even started it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

I think you can tell a lot about what TV shows people write off.

You can tell that they watch a lot of sh!t TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Noveight wrote: »
    Easily the coolest bloke I've watched on screen for a long time, must make whiskey my tipple of choice :cool::P

Seems a strange takeaway from the show to me! Don appears cool at first, but is actually totally messed up and filled with a huge emotional void!

Much like every character in Mad Men.

Currently binging on Boardwalk Empire. So far, so good...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

I can honestly say that not only have I never watched most of the series mentioned in this thread, I have never even heard of a good 50%-60% of them.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,075 ✭✭✭✭beertons

On episode 6 of the new MacGyver. It's getting better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Started Poldark, enjoying it . I always seem to enjoy period dramas

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I can honestly say that not only have I never watched most of the series mentioned in this thread, I have never even heard of a good 50%-60% of them.

Threads like this are great for when you are in a "what to watch next?" position.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Started Berlin Station,its not bad so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Quarry- with an appearance by our own Aoibhinn McGinnity, (previously Trish, late of Love/Hate parish)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

Watching Kingdom at the moment, top notch show

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Timmyr wrote: »

Stephen Fry is great

just kidding; presume it's the MMA Kingdom, love it & I've no interest in MMA/UFC whatever your having yourself

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Timmyr wrote: »
    I'll be checking that out soon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Kal El

Watching Ballers right now, love it. Aint no one cooler than The Rock

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

The good place. Basically comedy series where a mix up sends the wrong person to heaven.

Kristen bell is really good in this

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

maudgonner wrote: »
    Band of Brothers is one of my favourite mini-series. I hate to think what it would have been like if they tried to squash it into a feature length story. (Saving Private Ryan, I suppose). As it is, I wish there was more of it, not less.

You'll then be pleased to know there's another series following bomber crews in the works. I think it's called The Might Eighth.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 airportlackie

House of cards, narcos and forgot classic shows well worth watching

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭midnight city

K-9 wrote: »
    Mad Men and The Wire are epic novels brought to life.

I often see Man Men mentioned but i can't imagine how a show about an advertising agency could be that good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

kowloon wrote: »
    You'll then be pleased to know there's another series following bomber crews in the works. I think it's called The Might Eighth.

Yes, have been very much looking forward to that for ages. Nobody seems to know when it will finally be released though, it been a long time in the works with very little info emerging about it.

Advertisement