Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 - Was it a bad year?

Options
  • 18-11-2016 8:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,884 ✭✭✭✭

All over my facebook feed I'm seeing people going on about how 2016 was such a terrible year. Was it really? Sure some celebs have died, but has it been any more than normal?

How's your year been?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ShadyAcres

Mine has been good tbf.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

With Syria and the veer to the right in US and UK I suppose it's not great. F*ck celebrities though, and get used to it, from now on they'll be dying a lot more as the first wave of pop stars etc continue to die.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,522 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I've two young kids, was in hospital with a health scare during the year, turned out not to be serious - very thankful, it's a great year !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Who's the black guy beside gene wilder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Noone close died to me so it's been a good year.

I wouldn't judge the quality of a year on the number of famous people that have died. With the rise in different channels of entertainment, there will be more celebrities thus more dieing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Is it Errol Brown? Lead Singer in Hot Chocolate? Even though he kicked the bucket in 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Lemmy died in 2015 so it's not even accurate

How good a person thinks a year is depends heavily on what age they are. I'd imagine most 6/7 year olds love living nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

On many levels 2016 Was awful, but there's a good chance 2017 and following years will be worse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭SteM

Dad was diagnosed with cancer in February, passed in September. Didn't notice the year go by, won't think back on it fondly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

The endless references to it being a bad year are worse than the year itself
    and it's been fairly shit year as years go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I've spent the year recovering from back surgery (saying this as I lay on my bed in teeth grinding pain) i had in November last year. I closed down my main business and one of my kids was diagnosed with adhd and asbergers.

So overall a crappy year.

On the positive side, I spend more quality time with my kids. Nobody close has died. And after 6 years of being practically homeless, my brother has been housed (or will be soon....waiting on keys).

Yep, it's been a crappy year. Bring on 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Had a beautiful baby girl :D
    Got the job I wanted at a massive multi-national company :D
    House purchase fell through 3 weeks before Brexit :D

Had to semi-retire from playing football, I'll be back in the new year (I will!) :(

I've got to admit, I didn't hate 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

How do celebrities dying make it a bad year?

A celeb dying does not impact your life really.

Your personal situation and how it's affected by politics, economy and environment are what determine if it was a good year or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

murpho999 wrote: »
    How do celebrities dying make it a bad year?

A celeb dying does not impact your life really.

Your personal situation and how it's affected by politics, economy and environment are what determine if it was a good year or not.

I disagree with the word celeb...and that famous people dying has no impact on people's lives.
    Bowie and Cohen in the music world influenced so many people here to become involved in music and their deaths has had personal impacts on peoples lives.

Personally, ex Munster and Irish player and coach Axel Foleys death has affected me, I'd met him a fair few times, he was about my own age and had children too....so when a life is taken like that, it does impact on the ordinary man and woman in the street, it did on mine anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

It's very sad that the world has gotten to a stage where people determine their happiness level based on celebrities and not the people they see and meet every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

Maurice White: Earth Wind and Fire.

I disagree with the word celeb...and that famous people dying has no impact on people's lives.
    Bowie and Cohen in the music world influenced so many people here to become involved in music and their deaths has had personal impacts on peoples lives.

Personally, ex Munster and Irish player and coach Axel Foleys death has affected me, I'd met him a fair few times, he was about my own age and had children too....so when a life is taken like that, it does impact on the ordinary man and woman in the street, it did on mine anyway.

Regarding Bowie and Cohen; you still have their music and you can still enjoy and be influenced by it.

As for Foley, you have met him and knew him so you're affected more by it than the majority of people who have not met him.

I'm a similar age to him, I found his passing very tragic and sad but I would not say it has affected my life.

A celeb death cannot affect you the way a family member or close friend's passing does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

The terror attacks in Brussels :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

What's sad is that people now consider the likes of David Bowie, Prince and Leonard Cohen 'celebrities' rather than musicians or artists and lump them in with the stupid talentless fucks that appear on some reality show nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

What's sad is that people now consider the likes of David Bowie, Prince and Leonard Cohen 'celebrities' rather than musicians or artists and lump them in with the stupid talentless fucks that appear on some reality show nonsense.

It's also sad that people seem to suggest that it's illegitimate to be moved or saddened by the death of these people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

It's also sad that people seem to suggest that it's illegitimate to be moved or saddened by the death of these people

I think it's perfectly natural to feel close to a musician who you've spent countless hours listening to especially if they write their own music and words. It would seem weirder if you had spent your adult life listening to Purple Rain or Suzanne and then said "Prince and Leonard Cohen are dead? Oh well. I didn't know them personally so who gives a shit".

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Was good for me personally.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Celebrities die every year. A war happens somewhere every year. Bad things happen every year. For me, personally, it's been a pretty decent 2016 after a pretty horrendous 2015.

If people start basing their lives off of popular culture, then they should really question their own lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Not a great year in general from the POV of warfare, general instability and terrorism. Personally not great either (last few years have been this way) but I can't blame the year itself. No external tragedies have dragged me down. I generally make my own problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I think it's perfectly natural to feel close to a musician who you've spent countless hours listening to especially if they write their own music and words. It would seem weirder if you had spent your adult life listening to Purple Rain or Suzanne and then said "Prince and Leonard Cohen are dead? Oh well. I didn't know them personally so who gives a shit".

Yes. Grief is certainly justified if you felt you had a human relationship with them through their art, one-sided as it may have been. You would wonder about people who don't have such rapports with some kind of artist(s) in their life.

The Foley loss was different for me as it was sudden and he wasn't old. Still kind of slowly accepting it as reality to be honest. A brutal reminder that death is not a sole preserve of old age.

Well celebrity does simply mean 'A famous person' regardless of what they are famous for.

Agree with your sentiment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I had a great year, so much change for the better.

Celebrities dying, well we all die and it is better than having your own loved ones dying, don't mean to be cruel or anything, but it is always better when the people dying are not people you are close to.
    I had one year a few years back, where I my mother died, then in the following 6 months, my father also had a brother and sister die, as well as a 1st cousin and a niece, all separate btw.
    That is a bad year.
    As I said, it is better people you don't know, or are not that close to that are dying, because it will be too close to your door at some stage.
    2016 has been a great.

I was happy Clinton was not elected, disappointed with Brexit, but these are things outside of one's control and no point worrying over things you cannot control.
    Life is too short.

Most people will have had a good to ok year, but look at the news and say it has been a bad year, it could be far worse.
    For me it has been a really good year for the things I can control, and no relations that are close died or are sick, so no point in complaining for the sake of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

It's a been a strange year. Politically, not too fond of the rise of the right but the neoliberal system in the west is leaving a lot of people behind so I can understand why it's happening - we've interesting times ahead. The saddest part of it all is how polarised the political landscape has become. There seems no way compromise can be reached when people are viewing the world in such black and white absolutes.

In terms of famous deaths, I do think it is sad to see the passing of the likes of Bowie and Cohen - their last albums are absolutely majestic though so it is great that they left with such powerful artistic statements.

Personally, while my immediate family are all in good form and good health, I've lost some good friends who passed away much too young, cut down by lingering illnesses that robbed them of their vitality but never crushed their spirits.

It's been a strange year and one that I'll always remember.

Advertisement