Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fueling for 26.2 miles....

Options
  • 01-11-2016 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭

So, Dilbert's DCM race report has me curious as to how folks around here typically fuel during a marathon - both a stand alone marathon AND an iron distance marathon as I would imagine there might be some differences in the two. Obviously fueling is a personal thing, so it's all about what works for you...I'm just interested in hearing how others approach it....and I'd love for some of our resident coaches to chime in (hello jackyback, Peter, Tunney.....)....and I'd also love to hear from any of the running forum peeps if they happen to stop by our little patch of paradise here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I personally prefer gels for most calories. Fluids can be too temperate dependent (ie too cold and won't want the volumes needed - and even hot races can be freakishly cold) and so too can solids (but from a too hot perspective and not wanting solids, additionally the extra waste puts stresses on "clearing it out").

So I like gels, the more diverse the sugar mix the better 2:1 fructose glucose being the most common ones that open up more enzyme pathways.

For a straight 26.2 - three gels an hour, probably an ISO one with water as you want.

For an IM 26.2 - same as the straight 26.2 but recognising the draw of flat coke and Tuc biscuits from about 32 km in.

My 2c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

I've used the same strategy with varying results.
    I did Frankfurt on Sunday but was undone by poor training so can't complain really.
    My best results have come when training has gone well, conditions are half decent (rain = ok, wind = my nemesis) and I'm mildly hungry at the start
    Good sized breakfast no less than 2 hours before, not fussy what. Generally cereal/toast
    Bottle of carbo drink sipped up to an hour before the start. Bulk Powders dextrose/maltodextrin mix
    1 ISO gel with caffeine on the walk up to the start line
    1 ISO gel every 5km religiously
    Sip of water at every aid station
    Fruit and water at the finish and once my stomach has settled I make a mess in Burger King

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

I have my liquid mix ready (60ish carbs/hour drink) for the first 10k or so but I never felt like eating that so I ended up starting with gels (2-3 an hour, without caffeine). After 21k soonest or 30k latest I would start drinking Cola and switch to caffeine gels if I felt my stomach is fine (I don't think I took any gels after 33-35k). Obviously, would drink water whenever felt like it and add a bit of banana or orange here and there, more for the "feel" than the "need"...

I never actually did "dry" marathon so I'll keep on reading advices here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

It's been a while since I did a standalone marathon. When I last did though, after one hour running, I tried to take a gel every 20 minutes. Looking back at that race, I think this was too much. I simply couldn't stomach the fourth one when it was time to take it. It probably didn't help that I wasn't getting adequate fluids on board, but in the next marathon I do, I think I'll opt for one gel every 30 minutes instead. I go for much longer in training without fuel, so I'm hoping I'll manage.

For the Ironman marathon in Mallorca, I'd only two gels over the entire run. All my other calories came from Coke (about 1L) and Red Bull (about 500ml). I grabbed the odd cup of water. And I wouldn't touch solid foods, simply because chewing would impair my breathing. Compared to previous years, I took far less calories on board, but it was by far the best run I've done in a triathlon of any distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Gels are my option on a standalone and an IM marathon, taken every 30mins. I try take in 60-80g of carbs an hour as that's what my body can absorb without issue. In an IM I introduce coke around 20k-25k or earlier if really needed (Barca i had to introduce it after 10k). Sip water occasionally but not overdoing it.

I typically do all my long runs with an emergency gel and very rarely have water with me. If its a key long run that has a lot of faster running included then i would try have water and a gel every 30mins.

• Advertisement

Why postpone drinking Coke in an IM marathon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Enduro

From the perspective of someone who is primarily an ultrarunner:

The last 2 marathons I ran I ate pretty much nothing, and would have drank about half a litre of liquids (think it happened to be lucozade sport or something like that). They were both off-road marathons, so would have taken longer to run than a road marathon, with a hillier course profile as well. I would have accelerated through aid stations to deliberatly disrupt competitors who needed to stop to pick up fuel, or simply to leave them behind if they did stop. The last time I checked my finishing times for those 2 races were still the course records.

Gels are awful gunk, and horrendously expensive to boot. John Tracey's Irish marathon record was set without a single gel being consumed (as they had yet to be invented/marketed as a neccessity). They do have their uses for recovering from catastrophic energy crashes, but then it would be better not to have a catastrophic energy crash in the first place.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Enduro wrote: »
    From the perspective of someone who is primarily an ultrarunner:

The last 2 marathons I ran I ate pretty much nothing, and would have drank about half a litre of liquids (think it happened to be lucozade sport or something like that). They were both off-road marathons, so would have taken longer to run than a road marathon, with a hillier course profile as well. I would have accelerated through aid stations to deliberatly disrupt competitors who needed to stop to pick up fuel, or simply to leave them behind if they did stop. The last time I checked my finishing times for those 2 races were still the course records.

Gels are awful gunk, and horrendously expensive to boot. John Tracey's Irish marathon record was set without a single gel being consumed (as they had yet to be invented/marketed as a neccessity). They do have their uses for recovering from catastrophic energy crashes, but then it would be better not to have a catastrophic energy crash in the first place.

Was wondering if you would show up for this one alright :)

I assume if recommending the no fuel approach you're basing that on adopting that approach across all training as well....

mossym wrote: »
    Was wondering if you would show up for this one alright :)

I assume if recommending the no fuel approach you're basing that on adopting that approach across all training as well....

Oh yeah! I do all my training without eating (and mostly without drinking either).

Oh yeah! I do all my training without eating (and mostly without drinking either).

So the intensity the events you do are all well below fat burning upper limits.
    Some people will have lower fat burning upper limits, or go at higher intensities though.

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »
    So the intensity the events you do are all well below fat burning upper limits.
    Some people will have lower fat burning upper limits, or go at higher intensities though.

Indeed. It's not for everyone. From what I've read an efficient well trained fat burner can knock out about a 2:40 marathon pace whilst primarily utilising fat as fuel. So anyone intending to run their marathon faster than that is likely to to have to deal with glycogen depletion issues (i.e. will need to eat/drink something).

Fat burning upper limits are not set in stone for people. They can be (substancially) improved by training.

For quite a number of people the marathon is right in the grey-zone between not needing to fuel because the duration of the race is so short that you won't empty your glycogen stores, and not needing to fuel because the duration of the race is so long that efficient fat burning will be far more effective (such as IM). That makes it interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tmh106

Fat burning upper limits are not set in stone for people. They can be (substancially) improved by training.

Hi Enduro.

Apologies if the answer is obvious, but can you give more detail on what kind of training you recommend to improve fat burning upper limits?

Thanks.

tmh106 wrote: »
    Hi Enduro.

Apologies if the answer is obvious, but can you give more detail on what kind of training you recommend to improve fat burning upper limits?

Thanks.

For me, in order it would be (And this is no more than my own opinion from my own learnings and experiences): do all training on empty, leave as large a gap as possible between eating and training, err more towards a LCHF type of diet.

That's without modifying the specifics of your training routing. Pushing out long runs/ cycles to be of as long a duration as practical/useful is also going to be benificial, simply because you'll be increasing the volume of your training in the fat-burn zone, which is good specific training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

zico10 wrote: »
    Why postpone drinking Coke in an IM marathon?

I can only drink so much of it and secondly call it a mini reward and a pick me up for when things start to get a little hairy. Its like magic when it hits the tongue so far into an IM race.

For me, in order it would be (And this is no more than my own opinion from my own learnings and experiences): do all training on empty, leave as large a gap as possible between eating and training, err more towards a LCHF type of diet.

That's without modifying the specifics of your training routing. Pushing out long runs/ cycles to be of as long a duration as practical/useful is also going to be benificial, simply because you'll be increasing the volume of your training in the fat-burn zone, which is good specific training.

Plausible.
    Eating fat doesn't make you got at burning fat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

I go for much longer in training without fuel, so I'm hoping I'll manage.

this is also important to consider
    its all well and good to come up with race nutriton strategies but without not considering how you train ...
    at the end in the marathon its much more aobut the right pacing than the nutriton intake.
    and in the IM its still more about the nutrion intake and pacing on the bike than the nutriton on the run .

Eating fat doesn't make you good at burning fat

Agreed (along with the widely held belief that eating fat makes you fat also being untrue).

Primarily for me its for my general health. But from from a fat burning adaptation POV it's about reducing sugar intake, and hence reducing dependencies on carb/sugar hits for fueling, whether they be physical or psychological. The HF part is simply that energy has to come from somewhere (And food has to taste palatable to realistically incorporate it as part of your diet), hence more fat substituting for less sugars/carbs. Again, IMO.

Eating fat doesn't make you got at burning fat

Actually, have a look at this (Plenty of Tri references in here)...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Some week to be linking noakes!!!

Actually, have a look at this (Plenty of Tri references in here)...

Noakes and his research on LCHF has been completely discredited in the academic world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

All this marathon fueling chit chat has reminded me that when I did the New York City marathon 2 years ago, I met a gal on the ferry over to the start line who was going to fuel on 3 or 4 dates alone. ("Dates" being of the fruit variety and not the tall, dark and handsome kind! ;)) She was from Australia and had used this strategy before with success. I have no idea how she did on the day, but her approach made an impression on me!

Dory Dory wrote: »
    She was from Australia and had used this strategy before with success. I have no idea how she did on the day, but her approach made an impression on me!

That's the crucial bit really, isn't it? As Peter already said the most important thing in running a good marathon is pacing. I suspect a lot of people who blame nutrition for a poor performance, get this one crucial thing wrong. I'd say that about myself also. The best paced marathon I ever ran was my very first one, when fear of the unknown meant I ran conservatively. It was no coincidence that I thought I got nutrition spot on that day. I'm sure there are others, but out of all the boardsies over on AR it's this one thing about Krusty's marathons that so impresses me. He's far from a slouch and he invariably finishes with negative or even splits. And his fueling is pretty minimalist as far as I'm aware.

Anyway, another thing that I suspect is sometimes missing in marathon running, and for which nutrition gets the blame, is adequate preparation. And as the thread was started in your honour, Dlibert, I hope you don't mind me bringing you into it now. No offence intended, but I suspect this might have been the case for you in DCM. If you haven't trained properly for 26 miles, then of course you're going to feel like crap when you try run them at race pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

All this marathon fueling chit chat has reminded me that when I did the New York City marathon 2 years ago, I met a gal on the ferry over to the start line who was going to fuel on 3 or 4 dates alone. ("Dates" being of the fruit variety and not the tall, dark and handsome kind! ;)) She was from Australia and had used this strategy before with success. I have no idea how she did on the day, but her approach made an impression on me!

I fuelled my last few half ironman races (bike legs) using dates. Depending on the size of the variety of date, the usual equivalency is 2 to 3 dates to one energy gel - both provide approx 20g carbohydrate. They are unusual for a fruit in that most of their bulk and weight comes from sugar and not water. Completely useless from a hydration view so balancing water intake and digestion is key! They were recommended to me by a dietician and are a nice alternative to synthetic crap. Edit - having said that I reverted to synthetic crap in Kenmare and it worked out better for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

zico10 wrote: »
    Anyway, another thing that I suspect is sometimes missing in marathon running, and for which nutrition gets the blame, is adequate preparation. And as the thread was started in your honour, Dlibert, I hope you don't mind me bringing you into it now. No offence intended, but I suspect this might have been the case for you in DCM. If you haven't trained properly for 26 miles, then of course you're going to feel like crap when you try run them at race pace.

I don't mind at all Zico and no offence taken. Although I've not joined in the discussion yet, I'm as anxious as anyone to understand where I went wrong - training plan, run training, cross training, rest/recovery in the weeks leading up the day, rest/recovery in the days leading up to the day, nutrition, pacing, focus, target....or a combination of some/all. I know I fuelled more during DCM than I have for pretty much any of my previous marathons. I know I ran a 20m faster and with fewer gels only a few weeks ago and the effort was much more manageable than even the start of Sunday was. I do believe it's possible to run a marathon effectively without in-race nutrition if that's what you trained for - and already 2/3 of my training is done on empty (but I've yet to introduce that into most of my long runs). So I'm learning a lot here but still not narrowing it down much. Like Enduro said on the AR nutrition thread, n=1 so I expect there's an element of experimentation I'll need to work through to see what works for me.

the fiber can be an issue racing
    but for training very good stuff.

EC1000 wrote: »
    I fuelled my last few half ironman races (bike legs) using dates. Depending on the size of the variety of date, the usual equivalency is 2 to 3 dates to one energy gel - both provide approx 20g carbohydrate. They are unusual for a fruit in that most of their bulk and weight comes from sugar and not water. Completely useless from a hydration view so balancing water intake and digestion is key! They were recommended to me by a dietician and are a nice alternative to synthetic crap. Edit - having said that I reverted to synthetic crap in Kenmare and it worked out better for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

From a pure 26.2 perspective, over the years I've been reducing my dependence on fueling during a marathon. Not necessarily a conscious effort, but more a by-product of just coming to terms with the fact that I have less of a need for fuel during training and as a consequence, races. I didn't get to run a marathon this year (fell at the final hurdle), but if I had, strategy would have been:
    Day before: Standard diet with a slight bias/increase in carbs
    Morning of: Porridge and water/electrolytes (maybe sip on a diluted sports drink)
    During race: Water + electrolytes
    Break-glass Emergency: Caffeine-based ISO gel and two other ISO gels

I'm not sure that the gels really do anything for me (other than add to post-race nausea), but it's like a superstition - hard to shake off; and placebos do for the most part provide some form of benefit (gels = sugar pills?!), so while I won't most likely take them, it's convenient to know that they're there. So yeah, for the most part, my fueling is water and electrolytes (so approximately zero calories). But it's been a gradual transformation, measured in years, rather than in months, over repeated marathon cycles. Perhaps it's the result of a gradual improvement in running economy/efficiency as a consequence of clocking up thousands and thousands of miles.

When you can run the weekly bog-standard easy 20-22 mile run without water or fuel without significant hardship, it's a pretty good indicator. Similarly for those simulation training sessions of 15-20 miles with 12-15 miles @marathon pace), if you can get through those without the need for carbs/sugar (as well as half-marathons and longer distances races), it's a pretty good signal that you're unlikely to need to fuel-up during a marathon.

Not holding myself up as paragon of marathon running, just sharing my own experience as a runner who has progressed from 3:25 to 2:33 over the last few years and seen my in-race fuel requirements change significantly over the period. Obviously not relevant to multi-disciplinary events. Also, apologies for the non-metric nature of my contribution, but in fairness, Dory Dory is from the land where kilometers are as welcome as Mexicans. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

But, I love Taco Bell! ;)

P.S. Great contribution. Thank you Krusty. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

But, I love Taco Bell! ;)
    Well make sure you practice with it in training. Don't let race day be the first time you try it out. :)

From a pure 26.2 perspective, over the years I've been reducing my dependence on fueling during a marathon. Not necessarily a conscious effort, but more a by-product of just coming to terms with the fact that I have less of a need for fuel during training and as a consequence, races. I didn't get to run a marathon this year (fell at the final hurdle), but if I had, strategy would have been:
    Day before: Standard diet with a slight bias/increase in carbs
    Morning of: Porridge and water/electrolytes (maybe sip on a diluted sports drink)
    During race: Water + electrolytes
    Break-glass Emergency: Caffeine-based ISO gel and two other ISO gels

I'm not sure that the gels really do anything for me (other than add to post-race nausea), but it's like a superstition - hard to shake off; and placebos do for the most part provide some form of benefit (gels = sugar pills?!), so while I won't most likely take them, it's convenient to know that they're there. So yeah, for the most part, my fueling is water and electrolytes (so approximately zero calories). But it's been a gradual transformation, measured in years, rather than in months, over repeated marathon cycles. Perhaps it's the result of a gradual improvement in running economy/efficiency as a consequence of clocking up thousands and thousands of miles.

When you can run the weekly bog-standard easy 20-22 mile run without water or fuel without significant hardship, it's a pretty good indicator. Similarly for those simulation training sessions of 15-20 miles with 12-15 miles @marathon pace), if you can get through those without the need for carbs/sugar (as well as half-marathons and longer distances races), it's a pretty good signal that you're unlikely to need to fuel-up during a marathon.

Not holding myself up as paragon of marathon running, just sharing my own experience as a runner who has progressed from 3:25 to 2:33 over the last few years and seen my in-race fuel requirements change significantly over the period. Obviously not relevant to multi-disciplinary events. Also, apologies for the non-metric nature of my contribution, but in fairness, Dory Dory is from the land where kilometers are as welcome as Mexicans. :)[/QUOTE

it still is quit relevant as in a way the main nutrition happens on the bike.
    for most people the most difficult nutritional part in a ironman is the first 30 k on the bike if you miss nutriton there you set yourself up nicely for failure ,especialy if you are a slower swimmer and/or start the bike to fast and around 120 -160 on the bike if you do the right stuff there the run nutrition is not going to be a biggy.
    even more so than in the marathon all the diggestive issues are likely not nutrional but pacing ( but its much easier to blame the nutrition)
    i did not use a single gel or bar this year in barcelona on the run since i was going so slow, usually i take 1-3
    electrolytes would not really do in an ironman but ( enrgy drink and coke are enough if you get the nutrition on the bike right and maybe one or 2 gels. more if the nutrion was not right on the bike or you overpaced the bike .

One of my favortite nutriotnal marathon storries, a shop owner once had one of his employees cycle the dublin marathon course whit him to give him a gel every 20 min. its great if you really believe in the products you sell ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Following this thread with interest even though i have no intention of doing an Ironman or Marathon.

One thing I cant quite grasp, and sorry if this is a noob question, but people mention taking on coke or electrolytes during the run.....how is this done? Carried with you from the start? Already at feed stations?

Advertisement