Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Echo FAQ

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

For those that like using Echo for To do lists,

You can link link your echo to https://www.any.do/ and https://todoist.com/, not just the Alexa app :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

mrcheez wrote: »

Thanks but I was wondering if you can specify what album you want played by an artist.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

adox wrote: »
    Thanks but I was wondering if you can specify what album you want played by an artist.

Yes you can...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201601830

• Registered Users Posts: 13,657 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

adox wrote: »

https://www.reddit.com/r/amazonecho/comments/4pnd9q/how_do_you_play_a_spotify_album/

but yeah if someone here who actually owns one can confirm that would be better :D

EDIT: ah whoops... see above msg ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

So anyone else Have their Amazon go crazy and suddenly can't control any of their smarthome devices (Philips Hue, etc.)?

Alexa just keeps saying:

"That command doesn't work on that device"!!

Very frustrating, I've had it forget all the devices, rebooted the Echo and then searched for the devices again. It finds them, but still the same error!!!

BTW the firmware on the Echo has updated to version 4008

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

degsie wrote: »
    Did you say something to upset her? :)

Yes, it seems she didn't like me calling her a Yank!

Turns out I had my language set to US-English, changing it to UK-English got the smart homes devices working again. But then it learned the ability to understand the word "TV", so I had to change that to "Television". But all back working now.

BTW I've figured out why some addresses work, but not all. Turns out it is using Bing Maps for the addresses and commuting directions and times!

Checking Bing Maps, I get exactly the same faulty suggestions that appear in the address drop down of Alexa. Bing Maps address database is terrible for Ireland.

or to set your location to Northern Ireland right? This would be a major issue for me if I had to use an app to play Irish radio.

I tried, and at least for me, it is still pretty inconsistent. I can get RTE Radio 1 to work about 65% of the time. Today FM and Lyric FM work almost 100%. 2FM and Newstalk, I can't get to work at all.

BTW handy tip, if you just listen to the same station every day, you can just say:
    "Alexa, resume tunein"

This can be handy as you can use the app to select the station the first day and then use the above command every other day without the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Exact same thing happened last year with the "That command doesn't work on that device"

Took them about a week to resolve IIRC

They've made an unholy screw up of the Euro(ish) release, not like they hadn't enough time to prepare

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭loughrey2887

bk wrote: »
    "Report correct time" works fine with either a Dublin address (probably others too, haven't tried) or Northern Irish one

"Play Music from free account" If you subscribe to Amazon prime using a Revolut card, then you should be able to use Prime Music. I assume the same will be true for the soon to launch Amazon Music Unlimited accounts.

Having said that Spotify is well worth it IMO.

Everything else is correct.

What is the Revolut card and can it get around websites that require you to have a US/UK bank issued credit card? Amazon Prime accepts Irish credit cards but Amazon Unlimited will not accept international credit cards as confirmed by the US service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭loughrey2887

I guess the point I was making about playing music "from free account" is that it's not possible to play music without paying for a service, even for a few hundred songs.

Is this right?

e.g. do Amazon give a free account I can try out the Echo with initially, to upload 5 or 6 albums or whatever, and perhaps in 2017 I'll sign up for a service?

Also is not having the Alexa app going to be a problem for me? I can borrow a phone temporarily to initially set it up. I'm getting a new phone next year though, but have other things to pay for in the meantime (getting house redone!)

Amazon offer all Amazon free account holders cloud storage space for up to 250 songs from your iTunes or computer collection and these can be activated by voice command for free so long as you spell them and name the songs correctly.

This can be handy as you can use the app to select the station the first day and then use the above command every other day without the app.

OK thanks, although I can never use the app (crappy old windows phone), so can I use the website to control *everything* the app can?

Amazon offer all Amazon free account holders cloud storage space for up to 250 songs from your iTunes or computer collection and these can be activated by voice command for free so long as you spell them and name the songs correctly.

cool thanks.. I have a few audiobooks I'd like to upload initially, plus some BoC songs before I commit to going to Spotify in 2017

What is the Revolut card and can it get around websites that require you to have a US/UK bank issued credit card? Amazon Prime accepts Irish credit cards but Amazon Unlimited will not accept international credit cards as confirmed by the US service.

Revolut is a "virtual" banking service. You install the Revolut app on your phone and then they send you a Mastercard debit card. You can load money on the card using the app and then spend it online using the debit card details, make purchses with the debit card or withdraw money VIA ATM.

However the card is usually tagged as being in the UK, so it can often be used for UK based services.

BTW this card is fantastic, it gives by far the best exchange rates for foreign currency, so great for travelling or buying in sterling. Also their technology is outstanding.

Really, didn't know that. Is that also available to people in Ireland and even if you don't have a Prime account?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

I like the Todoist integration, set up very easily and saying things like 'Add Milk' adds it straight to my shopping list..... :)

On the mobile app (android) i cant see how to remove or delete items?... anyone know how i do it?

OK thanks, although I can never use the app (crappy old windows phone), so can I use the website to control *everything* the app can?

Yes, works fine from the website, it is what I normally use.

Anybody try "alexa, simon says Liverpool", "alexa, simon says Manchester"? She responds in a dialect :)

Really, didn't know that. Is that also available to people in Ireland and even if you don't have a Prime account?

Yeah no need for a Prime account it seems... I recall reading something about this before, hence why I wanted to double check it as it was part of my requirements before I commit to paying for music (long overdue) :D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201379280

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

jobless wrote: »
    I like the Todoist integration, set up very easily and saying things like 'Add Milk' adds it straight to my shopping list..... :)

On the mobile app (android) i cant see how to remove or delete items?... anyone know how i do it?

The only reason I don't use todist is that you have to pay the premium price for reminders!!

A pain having to install in just to put shoppiing list on it. Can you use any other app

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    The only reason I don't use todist is that you have to pay the premium price for reminders!!

A pain having to install in just to put shoppiing list on it. Can you use any other app

any.do also. It is a generic API, so hopefully in future other todo apps like Wunderlist, etc. will also add support.

• Advertisement

any.do also. It is a generic API, so hopefully in future other todo apps like Wunderlist, etc. will also add support.

Does any.do have reoccuring reminders etc without having to pay for it!

Does any.do have reoccuring reminders etc without having to pay for it!

No idea, why don't you go to their website and check!

No idea, why don't you go to their website and check!

Is that your response to everyone that asks questions about a app, product or device!! There's always one. Cheer up it's Friday

Is that your response to everyone that asks questions about a app, product or device!! There's always one. Cheer up it's Friday

If you check back over this thread, you will see I've answered dozens of difficult technical questions, just as I do every day on the Bargains Alerts forums and other technical forums that I mod (Broadband, Cable & Digital TV).

However I have to say that I hate when people ask questions which could be answered much quicker with a 10 second google or just by going to the site.

It shows disrespect for the person you are asking the question of. It says that you couldn't care about other peoples time and couldn't even be bothered to do a little bit of effort yourself, just expecting others to answer your questions.

Asking a difficult question, after you have already looked it up yourself and couldn't find and answer, fair enough. But this certainly isn't an example of that.

BTW I just looked up and got the answer in less then 10 seconds. Why don't you go try it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭paulbok

Haven't had many problems with getting Alexa to play a radio station for me.
    I'll often get "you want me to play X on TuneIn, right?"
    And I have to reply "right" but otherwise works first time.

Still not on the right time though, even though I've set a NI address.

The ap works fine for me, it can be slow starting up though.
    Shopping list through it is OK, if a little primitive. I do like that you can check what you said when adding an item if it picks it up wrong.

Just messing with any.do on echo. While I can add items via alexa and can see then from the alexa app (and web interface), I never see the items on the any.do app on android. Seems like it doesn't sync :(

If you check back over this thread, you will see I've answered dozens of difficult technical questions, just as I do every day on the Bargains Alerts forums and other technical forums that I mod (Broadband, Cable & Digital TV).

However I have to say that I hate when people ask questions which could be answered much quicker with a 10 second google or just by going to the site.

It shows disrespect for the person you are asking the question of. It says that you couldn't care about other peoples time and couldn't even be bothered to do a little bit of effort yourself, just expecting others to answer your questions.

Asking a difficult question, after you have already looked it up yourself and couldn't find and answer, fair enough. But this certainly isn't an example of that.

BTW I just looked up and got the answer in less then 10 seconds. Why don't you go try it!

"shows a lack of disrespect". My god I've heard it all now. :pac::pac:

Anyone that was disrespected I apologies!

Forums are about discussions between people.

BTW Well done on getting the answer in 10 secs I applaud you and i'll ask any questions I like and if you don't like it don't answer me, let the other helpful people do that.

Anyway back to topic.

paulbok wrote: »
    Haven't had many problems with getting Alexa to play a radio station for me.
    I'll often get "you want me to play X on TuneIn, right?"
    And I have to reply "right" but otherwise works first time.

Still not on the right time though, even though I've set a NI address.

I'm a little confuzzled about why some people are experiencing issues and others not. Surely everyone experiences the same faults?

I'm guessing it must be down to the accent of the user, rather than any settings?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭vanti

I'm a little confuzzled about why some people are experiencing issues and others not. Surely everyone experiences the same faults?

I'm guessing it must be down to the accent of the user, rather than any settings?

I'm thinking it's related to the amazon account the echo is registered to. But I may be wrong.

Initially my echo was set to the US (as verified by the time). I noticed most radio stations i asked to listen to was around 90% right. (98fm, fm104, todayfm, 2fm and midlands radio 3).

I've now moved the echo to the .co.uk account (and have correct time) and notice the radio stations is accurate about 30% (with no luck playing 98fm or 2fm....without using the app). I'd consider myself a neutral accent....to the amusement of the OH.

• Advertisement

Forums are about discussions between people.

Yes, these forums are for discussions between people and are a community of fellow users. What they aren't is your personal help desk!

You haven't been discussing anything, you've been asking a series of very basic questions, one after the other that could easily have been answered with a 10 second search!

Non of us are getting paid for this. One simple question is fine, but three in a row, you start pissing people off and people just replying RTFM.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement