Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Autumn Weather 2016 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

I work year round within 6ft of a permanently open door. Yesterday was the first day since April I wore my hoody over my normal T-shirt for my entire shift. Last night was the first night in months that not only did I not have my bedside fan switched on, I actually pulled my Duvet tightly round my neck. I've actually missed a cool room when getting into bed. Harder to fall asleep for me in a muggy warm room whereas snuggling under a duvet in a cool room sends me right off to sleep in a minute or two.

Forecast is for it to warm up again next week? 20ºc, so we in the lee of the Wicklow mountains can look forward to 22ºc thanks to the Fohn effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,228 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

6c at Dublin airport currently, compared to 13c at Shannon!

The forecast min was 9c tonight, so that's strange.

Edit:

Just noticed, at 10pm it was 10c at Casement and 6c at Dublin airport!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Well, the calm couple of days coming to an end with an unsettled spell coming. Quick moving band of rain crossing the country tomorrow followed by showery weather on Thursday, the weekend is looking very wet especially Fri night into Sat and Sun and Mon . Windy at times too. Looking at the accumulations it would seem to me that the W, SW and SE getting the most rain.The prediction models are showing a possible 2 inches+ of rain in places between Fri night and next Tues along the W and SW coasts ( possibly more on mountains ) and the SE possibly getting a lot of rain next Mon .Lot of talk recently of the tillage farmers having a bad time this year at harvest along the coastal counties, if it's not in before this weekend it will probably have to stay in the fields I would think unfortunately .

Lucky the ploughing championships will miss it.

SAjrM7u.png?1

pOB10lU.gif

s17EzW5.gif

8UpgKum.gif

EDIT: not as much rain showing up now in the SE next Monday, W and SW still on track to get big accumulations over the weekend.

Looks like the first storm may be on its way for Monday.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

not looking good for the Harvest Festival in Dunshaughlin this weekend. For the past several year's we had great weather for it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

I see MT's discussion regarding the potential for stormy conditions Mon / Tues from the remnants of Karl. A quick look at the models just now would show a big difference in predictions. The GEM is full on and from what I've seen of late is that it seems to handle the Hurricanes / post tropical storm tracks well. The GFS is keeping it away from these shores.In general the models seem to me to be struggling a bit with trying to input the potential power from these systems and what must be a huge potential to influence the general weather patterns when they move into our latitudes.

First ground frost of the season possible tonight for some localised places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Meanwhile the heavens have opened here since 4pm
    14.1mm and rising :eek:
    It doesn't appear fast moving,it's been at it 3 hours now

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

leahyl wrote: »
    Heating on in the house for the first time last night! Had been out and when I came home you could smell the heat before you could feel it! Met Eireann forecast is decidedly autumnal sounding....bring it on!

Heat when on in my house last night for the first time in months. It's certainly getting colder... is there any chance of a cold dry winter this year? :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Loughc wrote: »
    Heat when on in my house last night for the first time in months. It's certainly getting colder... is there any chance of a cold dry winter this year? :D

jumpers on past 3/4 days, the days are already a good 4 or 5C cooler than they were up to a week ago and the nights are much cooler. Hard to believe just 2 week's ago it was 23C here at 10pm (Monday 5th September).

• Advertisement

Carnacalla wrote: »
    First ground frost of the season possible tonight for some localised places.

6.5C here already near the coast outside Tralee. Clear sky and near calm.

6.5C here already near the coast outside Tralee. Clear sky and near calm.

8.2c here in West Clare, with similar conditions.

11pm reports gives the coldest temperature 5c in Markee Sligo, Moorepark Cork and Mt.Dillon Roscommon. 3 very different locations.

Markee Sligo now down to 4c, could well be a frost there soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yeah Markree is headn towards 0c

6.4c in Sligo town which normally around 2.5c warmer than markree

of course met eireann say 3 to 7c coz sligo doesnt exist

although they had said 2c previous but changed like me in a boards forecast to be wronger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Its 5.7C here in the s.e. corner of the county, beautifully calm and crisp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

First ice on the car this season. Can't report temps because my weather station temp sensor on the blink. Must be around 2 I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

6.3C here and still dropping.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Any word on when MT will be rolling out his winter forecast

probably not for a few weeks, bit early yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Gonzo wrote: »

probably not for a few weeks, bit early yet!
    Ok cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭highdef

Min of 4.0° on the button last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭strewelpeter

Can I ask if anyone knows where I might find a forecast reaching into next week for Paris of the kind of standard we are used to from M.T. Cranium?

I have a decision to make that is dependant on the amount of rain that falls in that area during next week and being used to having a reliable forecast from MTC Meteo France is looking very vague.
    Up until today their pictures were showing no rain at all and now they are showing some but I've no idea how much or little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

National Weather Warnings

STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for Galway, Cork and Kerry
    Over 25 mm likely in a 12 hour period, locally up to 40 mm in mountainous areas.

Issued:Thursday 22 September 2016 16:00
    Valid:Saturday 24 September 2016 00:01 to Saturday 24 September 2016 12:00

I do wonder, without fail, how Clare is continuously left out of these? It's in the middle of Galway, Cork and Kerry!

Not a bad day today, no rain and mostly sunny.

• Advertisement

was nice here till about 7.15, raining heavy since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Just turned the heating on for the 1st time :(

Just turned the heating on for the 1st time :(

Do you know your outside temp?

very chilly here again, same as past 3 to 4 nights, gonna get down to 5C tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ikearney

Thats great news, cant wait for some good weather!

• Advertisement

Chilly evening at 11.1C here near Tralee , heating on here too tonight . The couple of cool nights( 6.1C and 6.3C ) has cooled down the house a bit and just getting up to 15.8C today, set to be a bit milder tomorrow. Said on the weather forecast tonight that the Dublin area could get up to 18C tomorrow. Should get up to around 16-17C here in Kerry. And then the rain.

Met eireann's rainfall warning is updated and now includes Co.mayo

7pm reports, Belmullet gusting 53 knots

Windy in Mayo with Bellmullet reporting Wind speed of 36kts / gust of 53kts ( 98 km/h )

pICXC43.png?1

EDIT: Snap :)

After getting relatively mild again here near Tralee this evening, having dropped to 14.8C late afternoon it has climbed again to 16.6C.

Got a high ( so far ) of 17.1C

Windy getting up to 53 kph SSW

Gusting 57 knots now in Belmullet in rain. nasty evening in the north west .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Atrocious evening in west Mayo,torrents of rain smashing of the window and winds akin to a yellow warning.

3hr-rain.gif?2336very heavy rain off the west coast will move in to western coastal counties in the next few hours

got much milder as today went on, almost warm by the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭sunbeam

It has been raining non stop here since about 10am yesterday. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

So I gave in, and turned on heating and lit the fire. Winter's here...
    Rain feels imminent here in Galway, has done since about 5 so it will probably be an anticlimax in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

18.1ºc at 1:30am in Bray. No heating turned on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Was not as wet as feared thankfully
    Did any place get the forecasted 20-40mm I wonder
    Maybe the north West?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

km79 wrote: »
    Was not as wet as feared thankfully
    Did any place get the forecasted 20-40mm I wonder
    Maybe the north West?

I d say we got 25-30 here in Longford, still raining heavily, every place looks saturated and a lot of leaves down this morning. Its 15 degrees here.

Eamondomc wrote: »
    I d say we got 25-30 here in Longford, still raining heavily, every place looks saturated and a lot of leaves down this morning. Its 15 degrees here.

as soon as I finished typing it peed rain until now :D

Went from being dry to lasing in the space of about 30 seconds.

Clearer weather and lighter winds moving in from the West here in castlebar. Very autumnal looking this morning

Clearer weather and lighter winds moving in from the West here in castlebar. Very autumnal looking this morning

Complete opposite here on the east coast.
    Dark and wet, wind has died down.

Cloudy but weak sun getting through from time to time here outside Tralee. Measured 19.2mm in the manual gauge this morning.

Wind has lightened off considerably.

• Advertisement

Today was a pleasant suprise once the rained cleared around 11am

Advertisement