Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"What series are you on?"

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Autosport wrote: »
    Started watching Shades of Blue, loving it so far :)

That show surprised me in a good way.

I had rather low expectations though when i saw it had Jennifer Lopez in it but she is pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I had thought that I was pretty much up to date with most of the good series...but from reading this thread I will need to go hibernating and watch a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

Winterlong wrote: »
    I had thought that I was pretty much up to date with most of the good series...but from reading this thread I will need to go hibernating and watch a lot more.

The Americans is very good too, I don't think that has been mentioned. Lots of great TV :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭trellheim

Standouts for the year so far for me :
    GoT, Stranger Things, The Americans - along with most other people

Just plain fun - give me more
    Preacher
    Rick and Morty

Slightly different
    Show Me a Hero ( from the creator of the Wire ) , The Expanse ( very brave Sci-fi )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I'm watching Star Trek Enterprise. The music at the start is shockingly bad but its a decent show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Dont watch much but I loved Stranger Things.

I found The People Vs O.J Simpson to be a fantastic watch and I'm very surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭via4

I was glued to the people vs oj Simpson the story was crazy how it all happened

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭strawdog

Cina wrote: »
    The never-ending Wire vs Sopranos debate.

I'm pretty sure it's a 40/40* split of people who think one is the greatest show ever and the other is the 2nd greatest ever, and vice versa. I prefer The Wire but I can understand those who prefer The Sopranos. Ultimately all that matters is that everyone should watch them both!

* the other 20% being misguided fools who think GoT/Breaking Bad are the best ever

Only one other show got to the level of Sopranos/Wire for me. Deadwood. More beautifully scripted than either and if HBO hadn't dropped the ball just as it was peaking it might have surpassed them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

The West Wing will always be my favourite, I think. For all its flaws (and it had many) I've never loved a series as much and it's the one I re-watch over and over again.

I'll give an honourable mention to Borgen and The Thick of It - two other great political series that I don't think have been mentioned here yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

maudgonner wrote: »
    I'll give an honourable mention to Borgen and The Thick of It - two other great political series that I don't think have been mentioned here yet.

The Thick Of It is fantastic for Malcolm Tucker's insults/put downs alone!

Not a big fan of box sets but been working thru Scottish comedy series Still Game lately. Tis ok, few laughs in it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Orange is the new black
    Gossip girl
    Desperate housewives
    Grace and frankie and
    Pretty little liars are the only shows I've ever watched to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭buried

Limmy's Show, Season 1 is up on Netflix. Best sketch comedy I've ever seen, won't be for everybody but I can't get enough of it. Well worth a binge IMO

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

via4 wrote: »
    Uch I think you have this idea that people that watch series that's all they spend their days doing but in reality a lot of people spend more than 12 hours of the day out of the house between work travelling to work the gym and food shopping so unwinding at night time with a series that you are enjoying is no harm :)

You see lads I'm not against these series or season things as yiz call them, but why do you feel the need to watch them because somebody else tells you so, or someone says, oh you have to see such and such, should you not be in a position as adults to make your own mind up what you want to watch without trying to keep up with the Jones. I watch telly myself, but I watch what I want to watch, not whats popular in the office at the minute so I can make small talk with someone I don't like

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The only one I have watched so far are the first two seasons of Gotham which is shown on Channel 5. It is a great show to watch because it is really entertaining to see both Bruce Wayne grow up to become Batman & Jim Gordon becoming a real fine police officer amidst all the crap he had gone through in the first two seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I'm on the third season of Hemlock Grove. I know it's got terrible reviews but I'm enjoying it. It's pretty different to anything else out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Ray Donovan series 4, brilliant, it's the best yet.
    Finished Billions recently, very good.
    I really hope some TV company takes on Hannibal. It's brilliant, has so much more to tell.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I finished 'The Night Of' last night.
    F*cking brilliant, every second of it. Highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Am binge watching Twin Peaks and Adventure Time the past three days now. Loving both.

uch wrote: »
    You see lads I'm not against these series or season things as yiz call them, but why do you feel the need to watch them because somebody else tells you so, or someone says, oh you have to see such and such, should you not be in a position as adults to make your own mind up what you want to watch without trying to keep up with the Jones. I watch telly myself, but I watch what I want to watch, not whats popular in the office at the minute so I can make small talk with someone I don't like

You just have a different outlook on it fair enough :) I work for myself so I don't have an office crowd so its not like that for me :) Personally I don't watch series just for the sake of a conversation point as I have never seen the big ones like the sopranos fargo etc I just watch whatever I'm in the mood for for example no one told me to watch the x files I just decided to but maybe some people watch things to chat about it the next day but sure theres no harm in that better than moping or complaining I say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I watch a lot of TV and for me Game of Thrones is by quite some distance the best TV show ever made. I loved Breaking bad and the Wire and these 2 are the only shows that have the same superb standard of writing and acting as GOT.

What puts GOT above everything else is the epic scale of the story, incredible action and how deeply complex the characters are, it takes storytelling to a new level. It’s full of unpredictable twists and surprises that its very difficult not to talk about the show.

Peaky binders is brilliant and I enjoyed Ray Donovan and the walking dead. We really are in a golden age of TV where a boxset at home can deliver more then a trip to the cinema

On a side note I just started watching Battlestar Galactica and recommend to any science fiction fan, I was expecting a mindless nerdfest but instead got a show about Genoside, civil war, science v religion, racism and many other social and political issues…a very interesting examination of what exactly makes us human

• Advertisement

I have a habit of liking things that get cancelled. I loved Backstrom, that was cancelled after one season. I thought The Family was brilliant, that got cancelled after one season. I really enjoyed Secrets and Lies, luckily the new season starts soon and that wasn't cancelled.

I'm also really enjoying American Gothic (not the old show of the same name), I've a few episodes left of that.

Very disappointed in Fear The Walking Dead though. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Greyfox wrote: »
    Peaky binders is brilliant

No. Just no.

"Sons of Anarchy in Birmingham" was ****e and i had to give up on it a couple of episodes into the second season because nothing meaningful or lasting actually happens to the characters in it and all the "threats" are irrelevant because they will be deatl with in the last episode of a given series.

Pure style over substance.

OH NO! The Blinders are facing the toughest gang yet............. oh wait, nevermind, they outsmarted or killed them all in the last ten minutes of episode six (making the previous 5+ hours irrelevant) and that one guy with the mustache got to shout "THE PEAKY BLINDAS ARE 'ERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!" while punching a guy.

lawlolawl wrote: »
    No. Just no.

"Sons of Anarchy in Birmingham" was ****e and i had to give up on it a couple of episodes into the second season because nothing meaningful or lasting actually happens to the characters in it and all the "threats" are irrelevant because they will be deatl with in the last episode of a given series.

Pure style over substance.

OH NO! The Blinders are facing the toughest gang yet............. oh wait, nevermind, they outsmarted or killed them all in the last ten minutes of episode six (making the previous 5+ hours irrelevant) and that one guy with the mustache got to shout "THE PEAKY BLINDAS ARE 'ERE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!" while punching a guy.

Thanks for the spoiler anyway douchebag.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I'm watching The Wire at the minute. The writing, drama and characters are amazing. I just really wish it had the cinematography of the likes of Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones. But there's no doubting it really is fantastic.

With the crime and that jazz, It reminds of Love/Hate. It hasn't had a mention but I would hand on heart class it among the big hitters that always get mentioned in these talks of great TV.

Those Sunday nights. The country stopped to see what was to become of Fran and Nidgey.

Love/hate is my number one series I loved every second and iv rewatched a million times. Then Oitnb then stranger things. I can take or leave everything else but nothing has topped love/hate for me

The Fall is back 29th September 9 pm!!

Atlanta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Greyfox wrote: »
    I

On a side note I just started watching Battlestar Galactica and recommend to any science fiction fan, I was expecting a mindless nerdfest but instead got a show about Genoside, civil war, science v religion, racism and many other social and political issues…a very interesting examination of what exactly makes us human

+1 on Battlestar Galactica

Just finished watching this. I'm a little bit of sci-fi nurd and I though It would something along the lines of the light-hearted Star Trek. Boy was I pleasantly surprised. In addition to what you said weren't the special effects really great, and the soundtrack is wonderful, particularly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8zsE5zdlsQ .

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

via4 wrote: »
    Atlanta
    The first 2 episodes were excellent, this has huge potential. I have the 3rd to watch now as well.

Donald Glover is brilliant in this, actually the whole cast is, even the minor characters such as those in the police station waiting area.

Music is great too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I'm on s2e14 of don't trust the bitch in apartment 23. I started it on Tuesday. Send help.

Advertisement