Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fixing points for roof bars

Options
  • 10-07-2016 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

Hi. I bought a roof bar set for my 09 Avensis tourer estate from a reputable online site. They told me this was the one for my model. I put it on but the fixing and especially the rubber part does not cover the fixing point . When it rained the interior of the car became wet. They told me it doesn't matter if the fixing point section is out to the elements that it won't leak. I find that hard to believe. Ang thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Brand and model of your roof bars and fixing brackets.

Picture would help as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Moggaman

CiniO wrote: »
    Brand and model of your roof bars and fixing brackets.

Picture would help as well.
    MENABO TEMA is the make. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 33,840 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I may be mistaken arent the fixing points still external to the car, i.e that whole thing under the grey part is a rain gully front to back. So as such the water shouldnt make it inside as the roof bars should have no impact.

My E46 was designed like that it doesnt matter if the flap was exposed or not its still external to the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Moggaman wrote: »

No offence - but haven't you installed them in reverse?

listermint wrote: »
    I may be mistaken arent the fixing points still external to the car, i.e that whole thing under the grey part is a rain gully front to back. So as such the water shouldnt make it inside as the roof bars should have no impact.

My E46 was designed like that it doesnt matter if the flap was exposed or not its still external to the car.

Listermint, that is what they told me but this picture tells otherwise ..

• Advertisement

grogi wrote: »
    No offence - but haven't you installed them in reverse?

Grogi, definitely on properly

I suppose I could pour a jug of water into them to confirm .

remove the entire gully, you might have another problem that has been shown up by the addition of the roofbar, May have absolutely nothing to do with the manufacturer.

Check for blockages / cracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

listermint wrote: »

That looks like an issue with the roof gully possibly a hole somewhere. The cover that was on before install wouldn't have waterproofed it judging by the rust on the bolt.

Are you sure you have the rubber boot on the right way around the seem to over hang on the opposite side they're supposed to leaving a gap on one side.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Return them, there is either parts missing or the racks are a universal design not suitable for your car.
    the Thule fixing system has a cover that sits over the hole in the roof, preventing water from entering the roof.
    3073 is the Thule fixing. http://www.roofbox.co.uk/fitting/TU3073.pdf
    I'd highly recommend Thule bars they are very strong and well designed and can be retained and reused on different cars when you change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Are you sure you don't have the rear bars on the front and the front bars on the rear?

It looks like the rubber piece is supposed to cover the hole, but there's obviously a gap under each rubber piece - do they cover bits they aren't supposed to cover at the moment?

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Return them, there is either parts missing or the racks are a universal design not suitable for your car.
    the Thule fixing system has a cover that sits over the hole in the roof, preventing water from entering the roof.
    3073 is the Thule fixing. http://www.roofbox.co.uk/fitting/TU3073.pdf
    I'd highly recommend Thule bars they are very strong and well designed and can be retained and reused on different cars when you change.

I had the Thule system, its great but its still external to the car. The bolt holes are not inside the cabin nor should the reach into them.

I think this guy might have a crack / hole or blockage somewhere. The Thule would throw up the same issue. the plastic just covers the hole to make it less unsightly its not a water proofing design.

R.O.R wrote: »
    Are you sure you don't have the rear bars on the front and the front bars on the rear?

It looks like the rubber piece is supposed to cover the hole, but there's obviously a gap under each rubber piece - do they cover bits they aren't supposed to cover at the moment?

The funny thing bout my car is that the threads to take the bolt are offset centre which seems odd. All the rubber shoes and metal shoes are identical.

in this photo for instance the thread is over to the left

ive a feeling the water is coming down the threads on the bolt to the right. As its now exposed. youd have to cover that as best you can.

The funny thing bout my car is that the threads to take the bolt are offset centre which seems odd. All the rubber shoes and metal shoes are identical.

On this picture - https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/307112/391407.jpeg is the right hand side of the rubber "boot" over the hole, or is it covering part of the silver rail?

If it's covering part of the rail, you need to turn the whole bar around, so drivers foot to passenger side, and passenger foot to drivers side.

If it's only covering the hole, then it's the wrong part as it's not long enough.

On this picture - https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/307112/391407.jpeg is the right hand side of the rubber "boot" over the hole, or is it covering part of the silver rail?

If it's covering part of the rail, you need to turn the whole bar around, so drivers foot to passenger side, and passenger foot to drivers side.

If it's only covering the hole, then it's the wrong part as it's not long enough.

I'm not sure I fully understand !. Does this pic answer.?

I though the same - but those feet seem to be symmetrical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

Here are the product details and instructions. The end of the video shows attaching to the roof supports -
    http://www.menabocaraccessories.com/index.php?page=mnb_pg_dettaglio&id_articolo=3

"suitable for any car, fully adjustable" - so it's a universal type.

Here's the instructions for Toyota's own roof rack - http://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/%7BAE994A58-4A9E-6B70-6C17-4064D1E94A9E%7D/Avensis_WGN_Roof_Rack_PZ403_T6611_GA_AIM_001_166_2.pdf

Notice at step 1 that Toyota have an insert that fits inside the rail above the hole. Maybe you can get these inserts as a part from a Toyota dealer and they'll help?

robbie99 wrote: »
    Here are the product details and instructions. The end of the video shows attaching to the roof supports -
    http://www.menabocaraccessories.com/index.php?page=mnb_pg_dettaglio&id_articolo=3

"suitable for any car, fully adjustable" - so it's a universal type.

Here's the instructions for Toyota's own roof rack - http://www.toyota-tech.eu/aimuploads/%7BAE994A58-4A9E-6B70-6C17-4064D1E94A9E%7D/Avensis_WGN_Roof_Rack_PZ403_T6611_GA_AIM_001_166_2.pdf

Notice at step 1 that Toyota have an insert that fits inside the rail above the hole. Maybe you can get these inserts as a part from a Toyota dealer and they'll help?

That insert will only allow one bolt through. I have 2 lugs along with the main bolt in mine..for balance I think the extra 2 lugs are but I reckon they are not needed .

• Advertisement

I'm not sure I fully understand !. Does this pic answer.?

What would happen if you swapped part A and part B in the attached? Does it still leave a hole open to the elements?

391505.jpg

If it does, then they are the wrong feet for the car, or something is missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭Wossack

is there any adjustment in the feet? do they disassemble, and reassemble offset for example?

/edit it kinda looks like if you were to loosen the outer of the 3 bolts in each foot, it could slide forward/backwards?

What would happen if you swapped part A and part B in the attached? Does it still leave a hole open to the elements?

391505.jpg

If it does, then they are the wrong feet for the car, or something is missing.

Yes , all feet exactly the same and there would be a gap regardless

I took off the roof rails and sprayed water with a hose on all 4 fixing points opening. The fabric under at least 2 fixpoints in the car got wet suddenly.
    I went to toyota. They told me that the gully is designed to take a little water but not to be left open to the elements. That is why there is an insert piece on the toyota roof rail , to reduce the amount of water coming in.
    The company i bought the rails off say the holes can be left out to the elements and no water should come in.
    So where do i go from here..surely someone out there can unequivically tell me if these damn gullys are meant to waterproof the car or not!!!
    :(:(:(:(

So where do i go from here..surely someone out there can unequivically tell me if these damn gullys are meant to waterproof the car or not!!!
    :(:(:(:(

Ask Toyota garage to state that in writing and make a photo of the wet underlay.

Write to the seller that you reiterate the items are unfit for the purpose and you expect a refund within 5 working days. Attach scan and picture.

If you don't, file a claims in Small Claims Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Is your car second hand? Did a previous owner mangle those mounting points. I cannot believe that the only thing stopping water ingress is a flimsy plastic cover....

And yes, these "universal" mounts are not suitable in any way.

BigEejit wrote: »
    Is your car second hand? Did a previous owner mangle those mounting points. I cannot believe that the only thing stopping water ingress is a flimsy plastic cover....

And yes, these "universal" mounts are not suitable in any way.

Not really a rocket science if with the covers there is no ingress and without there is...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

grogi wrote: »
    Not really a rocket science if with the covers there is no ingress and without there is...
    Did you not see the same pictures I did, there is corrosion all over the place under the cover, its obviously not stopping water:
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/307112/391439.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

My thoughts,
    1. The drain is blocked that leads from the internal gutter.

2. The internal gutter can cope with a small amount of water but not an open hole facing the sky.

That's why the Thule and Toyota versions have a cover to prevent large amounts of water from entering the roof mount area.
    The cover doesn't have to be 100% water tight but just stops mass water entering the hole.

I would return the universal racks that you bought and explain that they leak and are not fit for purpose.
    Ask for a refund or a set of purpose made racks. Genuine Toyota or Thule.

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    My thoughts,
    1. The drain is blocked that leads from the internal gutter.

2. The internal gutter can cope with a small amount of water but not an open hole facing the sky.

That's why the Thule and Toyota versions have a cover to prevent large amounts of water from entering the roof mount area.
    The cover doesn't have to be 100% water tight but just stops mass water entering the hole.

I would return the universal racks that you bought and explain that they leak and are not fit for purpose.
    Ask for a refund or a set of purpose made racks. Genuine Toyota or Thule.

Thanks everyone. Problem is I'm well beyond my 30 day return period cause I didn't go at them for two months after receiving them.stupid I know but the point is still valid, they were unfit for purpose before the 30 day period and remain unfit!!

Advertisement