Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"What series are you on?"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭cml387

I'm way behind on TV shows.

Watching one now and a guy that was killed in the last season is taking a shower in the opening episode of the next.

Maybe is a dream sequence. Will post back later.

It was Kristin, by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I was sitting in a university staff room in Tokyo about 3 years ago on a Monday morning, when two other staff members turned up, one from the UK and the other from USA.

They immediately launched into a 'did you see when X and Y happened?' discussion about a TV show. When I asked which one they were talking about, they were shocked to realise that I wasn't immediately aware they were talking about Game of Thrones based just on the content (characters' names, etc) in their discussion.

When I said that I'd never seen any of the series, they literally looked at me open-mouthed, and one of them asked (exact words) 'What rock have you been living under?'

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I watch very little TV, particularly by myself. Generally will only watch something if the missus wants to watch it as well. Really enjoyed Stranger Things tbf.

By myself I'll watch the odd cartoon series or something that doesn't need a whole lot of investment.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Season 3 of Greys Anatony having watched most of it previously but I like it so don't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

cml387 wrote: »
    It was Kristin, by the way.

Bing Crosby's daughter?? :eek:

Here's something mad that I remember:

On the night that show was to air, the headlines of the Evening Press had a photo of Larry Hagman (I think) in Dublin Airport after getting off a flight with the tape of the episode and they said he was on his way to RTE. The showed had aired in the states weeks before but we still didn't know in Europe who did it. Imagine trying to keep a secret like that now with your Twitter and your Facepages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Gomorrah - Italian TV series with subtitles, excellent gangster drama set in modern days.

Peaky Blinders - another superb gangster drama starring Cillian Murphy. Addictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭pavb2

Just finished all 6 series of The Walking Dead shocked at the graphic nature but astounded by the zombie acting and special effects so for that reason for me it just about shades The Sopranos and The Wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Started watching house of cards last week.. it's very good, in the last 3 years I've watched the Sopranos, 24, misfits, games of thrones and stranger things. I tend to watch in bulk, 4 or 5 a night until it's done... I just can't pace myself :D
    I've also series link recorded medium.. easy watch for Saturday morning when I'm up at 7am or the afternoon when I'm home alone.. might get an episode or 2 in the mornings now that school is back ...
    The quality of drama is much improved over the 'golden age' Dallas, Dynasty and Falcon Crest .. the staples of our house unless it was the six million dollar man or wonder woman.. :D although the A Team and MacGyver were top class ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,129 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Elliott S wrote: »
    See, I thought Lost was a pile of shíte! :D

But anyways, I'm taking about post-1999 so those shows fall into that category. Since the late 90s, there has been a steady stream of top quality shows. It doesn't mean that all TV series now are good.

Lost should have been better. As far as I know the creators only wanted 3 seasons. The studio demanded more and so the show got dragged out. If it had just been 3 seasons then it would have been a lot better.

I'm currently finishing off Gotham. I just finished Stranger things. Stranger things was one of the best shows I've seen in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

The Sopranos Series 5

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

boobar wrote: »
    Gomorrah - Italian TV series with subtitles, excellent gangster drama set in modern days.

Peaky Blinders - another superb gangster drama starring Cillian Murphy. Addictive.

8 episodes into Gomorrah, really enjoying it. I've used up all the main ones e.g. Wire, Sopranos, The Shield, BB, Boardwalk Empire.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

My OH was asked this in work the other day. Not "Are you watching any good?", just an assumption that you are.

We are in a golden age of television. It's great. There are so many good series out there and it's assumed you are watching one of them at any given time. I can't move for recommendations from friends and family.

Does anyone else feel a bit overwhelmed by it all? There are only so many hours in the day! :) And so much to choose from. There also sometimes seems to be a competitive element to the binge-watching of series. :D

I'm going on holiday this week and the hotel only has WiFi in the reception area. Me and my fella are really looking forward to a week without screens, just relaxing and reading. The only thing I'll do internet-wise is have a quick scan of the news headlines in the morning and evening.

And then back to it again!

Back to what ? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

osarusan wrote: »
    I was sitting in a university staff room in Tokyo about 3 years ago on a Monday morning, when two other staff members turned up, one from the UK and the other from USA.

They immediately launched into a 'did you see when X and Y happened?' discussion about a TV show. When I asked which one they were talking about, they were shocked to realise that I wasn't immediately aware they were talking about Game of Thrones based just on the content (characters' names, etc) in their discussion.

When I said that I'd never seen any of the series, they literally looked at me open-mouthed, and one of them asked (exact words) 'What rock have you been living under?'

I know the feeling. I actually watched the first episode of Game Of Thrones yesterday just to see what all the hype was about. I thought it was awful shyte.
    Grayson wrote: »
    Lost should have been better. As far as I know the creators only wanted 3 seasons. The studio demanded more and so the show got dragged out. If it had just been 3 seasons then it would have been a lot better.

Yeah I thought the first 3 seasons were brilliant and then it went downhill after that. The producers said it was making too much money so another 3 seasons were made.

I really like Shameless USA. I haven't seen the British one so I don't know what that's like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

Back to what ? ;)

The madness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Over the summer I've been watching Stranger Things Pretty Little Liars Zoo and Third Rock From The Sun. Usually wake up around 5am with my phone on my face:) Looking forward to The Originals season 4 and The Vampire Diaries season 8 in October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

pavb2 wrote: »
    Just finished all 6 series of The Walking Dead shocked at the graphic nature but astounded by the zombie acting and special effects so for that reason for me it just about shades The Sopranos and The Wire.

I can't tell if you are joking about this.

TWD is pure put-it-on-in-the-background fodder. It's a poorly written, dumb show that I can't even explain why I still watch it.

It's like fast food, you know it's crap but you still consume it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

NATLOR wrote: »
    Fargo is simply the best TV series ever made
    It's not. You only have to read the synopsis to know straight away that it cannot challenge The Wire.
    pavb2 wrote: »
    Without trying to sound condescending, thankfully your opinion doesn't count.

Average tv shows such as House of Cards, Dexter, Game of Thrones, Homeland have become more plentiful and more accessible through netflix and online.

But truly groundbreaking television series are still in short supply and still mainly produced by a single network; HBO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭pavb2

It's not. You only have to read the synopsis to know straight away that it cannot challenge The Wire.

Without trying to sound condescending, thankfully your opinion doesn't count.

https://youtu.be/M-wcFU5fZwY

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Game of thrones is by no metric an average series, whatever your personal opinion on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

No it hasn't. Pre-Sopranos, TV was looked down as inferior to film, low rent. With the Sopranos, all that changed. And thank fook for that.

I don't know what age you are, but I can assure you that television is definitely not in a golden age now.
    That might be true for the US because their TV was absolutely appalling before HBO - with adverts every few minutes.
    But we have had excellent TV since the 1970s. It peaked in the 80s but has declined somewhat since the 'million channels, nothing on' era has arrived.
    The sopranos was excellent - but it's just one series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Game of thrones, vikings and because of the kids the lion guard it seems.
    My favourite of em all was Spartacus. The first series I ever watched all the way through and watched about 3 times over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DenMan

I'm getting through season 2 of 'The Strain'. It's brilliant and season 3 has just debuted in the US. Also half way through 'Fear The Walking Dead' season 2 and season 3 has just started in the US. Must get back to season 2 of 'Gotham' and 'The Flash'. Curious about 'Stranger Things'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

DenMan wrote: »
    I'm getting through season 2 of 'The Strain'. It's brilliant and season 3 has just debuted in the US. Also half way through 'Fear The Walking Dead' season 2 and season 3 has just started in the US. Must get back to season 2 of 'Gotham' and 'The Flash'. Curious about 'Stranger Things'.

Turned away from walking dead. Just bored me. Same type of story. The poxy things are walking. Even a overweight broken legged fcuker could escape. Now it's the humans they've t watch out for. That's like every other show out there now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Finished Stranger Things last week and thought it was excellent. Watched the first episode of The Get Down the other night and was well impressed. Will definitely continue watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭via4

Stranger things sent me to wayward pines which is so good and I am now watching the x files loving this supernatural path stranger things has sent me down....I am also in the mood to watch the goonies lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Rectify & Fargo are the standouts of the last couple of years for me.

Was very underwhelmed by Stranger Things & kinda baffled it gained so much traction.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,129 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Turned away from walking dead. Just bored me. Same type of story. The poxy things are walking. Even a overweight broken legged fcuker could escape. Now it's the humans they've t watch out for. That's like every other show out there now.

You're talking about the actual cast/characters there aren't you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,678 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I've been meaning for a while to get into shows like game of thrones or stranger things etc but I find myself watching re runs of Always sunny in Philadelphia. That show is just too damn funny.

I also have a problem that if the show is longer than 30 minutes I get distracted and lose interest.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 22,244 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Bates Motel is a firm favourite of mine. Can't wait for Prison Break and The Fall to come back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

Yamanoto wrote: »

Was very underwhelmed by Stranger Things & kinda baffled it gained so much traction.

Me too!! I don't understand the hype. I watched the first three episodes and decided if I wasn't into by then I wasn't ever going to be. Wonder was that a bit hasty..

Enjoying crazy ex girlfriend (which I expected to hate!) And peaky blinders atm

Advertisement