Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why 'Team GB' and not 'Team UK'?

Options
  • 14-08-2016 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

GB is England, Wales and Scotland.

UK is England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Strikes me as odd. Would have thought UK would have simply been the more obvious option in naming / branding terms.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,286 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Why not just Great Britain?
    Why the need for all this 'Team' nonsense?

Team Ireland too, need to catch themselves on.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

Not odd at all.
    Your description explains why.

Ireland is Team Ireland and not Team Republic of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,853 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Northern Ireland residents can compete for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

Not odd at all.
    Your description explains why.

Ireland is Team Ireland and not Team Republic of Ireland.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,868 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Many sports are governed on an all-Ireland basis meaning plenty of people from NI actually represent Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The official name of the UK is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

The team is registered with the IOC as Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭belfe

Probably is only because they had to choose a name.

Northern Ireland case

Team UK would be incorrect as well, according to wikipedia:

"Athletes from Northern Ireland can elect to represent either the UK or Ireland at the Olympics"

(wikipedia, I can´t post links)Great_Britain_at_the_Olympics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Make Britain great again.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

just reading about it there - and I see that of the 29 athletes from Northen Ireland at Rio, 21 represent Ireland and 8 Britain. I would have assumed an approximate half-n-half representation before reading that, but obviously not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I think it's officially 'Team GB and NI' but that's a bit unwieldy. Also, I'd say the 'and NI' appendage makes a lot of British people squeamish as it's a bit like introducing yourself and then saying 'and this is my mad cousin, I'm caring for, who we don't like to talk about'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Why does the Hellenic Republic call themselves Team Greece?

Who gives a fcuk anyway?

alfa beta wrote: »
    just reading about it there - and I see that of the 29 athletes from Northen Ireland at Rio, 21 represent Ireland and 8 Britain. I would have assumed an approximate half-n-half representation before reading that, but obviously not.

Depends on the sport.

If you were competing with people from mainland UK in your discipline to actually just get to represent your nation in the Olympics in the first place you would have a harder time than getting to represent Ireland which i believe involves just showing up sober with your kit when the bus is leaving for the airport.

alfa beta wrote: »

Easier to make the Ireland team.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The country code was decided on a long time ago when there was only a British team and Ireland was part of it so was no need to differentiate between UK / GB. Nobody cares enough to be bothered to change things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Won't anyone think of Team Chems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Team GB are doing exceptionally well, 30 medals. But is this the last time they compete as GB I wonder?

If Scotland leave, it will be just England and Wales. Will they go it alone as individual nations?

I can imagine Scotland looking to have their own name on the medals table, even if it won't be a huge number like ourselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

My problem with it is that it just sounds soooooo CORNY !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Depends on the sport.

If you were competing with people from mainland UK in your discipline to actually just get to represent your nation in the Olympics in the first place you would have a harder time than getting to represent Ireland which i believe involves just showing up sober with your kit when the bus is leaving for the airport.

Hardly.

What's the selection criteria for becoming a keyboard warrior, by the way?

bmwguy wrote: »
    Team GB are doing exceptionally well, 30 medals. But is this the last time they compete as GB I wonder?

If Scotland leave, it will be just England and Wales. Will they go it alone as individual nations?

I can imagine Scotland looking to have their own name on the medals table, even if it won't be a huge number like ourselves

Scottish shooters, rowers and cyclists would clock up a few medals more than us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Team Brexit as I like to call them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Scottish shooters, rowers and cyclists would clock up a few medals more than us.

Would soon diminish once exiting the British sports programs and making new ones from scratch with a lower budget.

maudgonner wrote: »
    Hardly.

Fingers on your hands, fire under your butt, and anonymity behind your screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Because in the olympics northern irish people represent team Ireland. So seeing as NI is excluded from the UK team then it just becomes team great britain (Eng, Scotland and Wales)

wakka12 wrote: »
    Because in the olympics northern irish people represent team Ireland. So seeing as NI is excluded from the UK team then it just becomes team great britain (Eng, Scotland and Wales)

What? NI people can represent GB if they wish, and several do. Your logic is completely flawed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Wrong.

Plenty of people from NI have been on Team GB. They are free to choose who to represent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Not correct. Plenty of representatives from NI on Team GB, past and present.

maudgonner wrote: »
    Hardly.

Nice meltdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I think GB now stands for Go Brexit!

When I was a kid I asked my da what the GB sticker on the car ahead meant, he said it stood for Gob****e Bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Depends on the sport.

You should express those views to Michael Conlon, Paddy Barnes or Donnelly and get in the ring. Might not be using the keyboard for a while though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Easier to make the Ireland team.

So Michael Conlon is world champion, but only boxes for Ireland because he can't make the GB team?

Our 49er sailors are from Belfast. Currently they're 4th in the standings, while the GB team are 13th and risk being cut from the final race.

Or Ciara Mageean, from Down. Came third in europe (behind a Pole and a Dutch woman) but somehow can't make the GB team?

Or maybe, maybe...they're Irish and so compete for Ireland?

Advertisement