Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M28 - Cork to Ringaskiddy [advance works pending; 2024 start]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Ah Cork, where the motorways are 100kmh, and the non motorways are 120

The speed limits for road types aren't hard and fast rules! They must take local factors into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭blindsider

Ah Cork, where the motorways are 100kmh, and the non motorways are 120

Has the speed limit on the M50 changed, or is it still 100kmh? What about the N2 from the M50 to Ashbourne? Is that not 120kph?

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.42086,-6.3263117,3a,75y,320.85h,77.18t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s4cyBbDTFHAchvQJsNGiNHg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Perhaps you should have a read:

http://www.dttas.ie/sites/default/files/upload/general/Guide_Speed_Limits_Mar_2015.pdf

especially p. 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

blindsider wrote: »
    Has the speed limit on the M50 changed, or is it still 100kmh?
    Some is 120, some is 50, some is 80, some is 100
    blindsider wrote: »
    What about the N2 from the M50 to Ashbourne? Is that not 120kph?
    Some is some isn't.

Maybe I'll put explict sarcasm tags on my posts for the fun police in future.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect if we're going to build a new motorway in a greenfield site to replace the existing 100 limit road, that a 120 limit would apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭blindsider

Some is 120, some is 50, some is 80, some is 100
    Some is some isn't.

Maybe I'll put explict sarcasm tags on my posts for the fun police in future.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect if we're going to build a new motorway in a greenfield site to replace the existing 100 limit road, that a 120 limit would apply.

:rolleyes: Whatever keeps you happy.

As Spacetweek said yesterday, and, as is clearly explained in the doc I linked to, speed-limits must take local factors into account.

Speed-limits on a motor-way are decided upon by the NRA, not locally in Cork.

Perhaps we could now let this thread get back to being informative and useful.....

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭gerogerigegege

meeting between the nra and local resident groups on the 10th. not a public event.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

meeting between the nra and local resident groups on the 10th. not a public event.
    What's the issue now?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

marno21 wrote: »
    What's the issue now?

The local resident groups have done nothing but make a complete balls of this.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

spacetweek wrote: »
    The local resident groups have done nothing but make a complete balls of this.
    Spot on.

I haven't seen any reason for this meeting. There has been no further updates recently for these NIMBYs to discuss

What's the issue now?

the residents of the South side of the city are worried about the destruction of parts of where they live. The noise pollution, air pollution, sound pollution etc.
    hopefully this won't go ahead.

the residents of the South side of the city are worried about the destruction of parts of where they live. The noise pollution, air pollution, sound pollution etc.

This road will enhance the area they live, reduce noise, and reduce pollution due to removing traffic from residential areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,116 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The last complaint on here boiled down to Daily Mail style property price wails. With zero basis in facts

These people need their head checked

Seriously

These people need their head checked

Seriously

do you live in the area or have you visited the area?

L1011 wrote: »
    The last complaint on here boiled down to Daily Mail style property price wails. With zero basis in facts

building a motorway beside your home won't affect the price of your house?

wow. that's amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

spacetweek wrote: »
    This road will enhance the area they live, reduce noise, and reduce pollution due to removing traffic from residential areas.

That really depends where exactly you live doesn't it. It will definitely add traffic to some residential areas but reduce it in others.

I honestly don't see the point in it myself I must say. They could just upgrade/widen the entire road to from N40 to Carrigaline and be done with it. It seems an awful lot of money on a road which does not need to be a motorway when things like the N20 are being ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

do you live in the area or have you visited the area?

I live in the area and this scheme will hugely reduce traffic issues in the area. It will do wonders for Douglas overall with Rochestown Road traffic being hugely reduces. Traffic going through Mount Oval will also reduce.

This is nothing more than a scaremongering campaign by people who have little else to do with people who know no better believing them.

Ludo wrote: »
    That really depends where exactly you live doesn't it. It will definitely add traffic to some residential areas but reduce it in others.

I honestly don't see the point in it myself I must say. They could just upgrade/widen the entire road to from N40 to Carrigaline and be done with it. It seems an awful lot of money on a road which does not need to be a motorway when things like the N20 are being ignored.

They would then lose EU funding. The junctions at the city side need serious altering to aid traffic flow in the area. Present Old Carrigaline road junction simply isn't good enough.

I live in the area and this scheme will hugely reduce traffic issues in the area. It will do wonders for Douglas overall with Rochestown Road traffic being hugely reduces. Traffic going through Mount Oval will also reduce.

This is nothing more than a scaremongering campaign by people who have little else to do with people who know no better believing them.

the Mulcon valley will be destroyed even further.
    an awful shame and shouldn't be allowed happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

This I don't believe for a second. Particularly the Rochestown Road part. I live on Coach Hill myself. I don't see it reducing any traffic and in fact can only make things worse but I don't think it will have any major affect so not bothered either way other than by the waste of money.
    And why would it reduce traffic thru Mount Oval?

the Mulcon valley will be destroyed even further.
    an awful shame and shouldn't be allowed happen.

Its an "awful shame" if you are an obsessive NIMBY who considers their house an investment and nothing more. That's about it.
    building a motorway beside your home won't affect the price of your house?

wow. that's amazing.

I'm pretty certain my house would be worth a fraction of what it is if the M4 hadn't been built rather near to it - due to the gridlock, smog and noise it alleviated. But I'm not singularly obsessed with the value of my house anyway.

• Advertisement

Its an "awful shame" if you are an obsessive NIMBY who considers their house an investment and nothing more. That's about it.

I'm pretty certain my house would be worth a fraction of what it is if the M4 hadn't been built rather near to it - due to the gridlock, smog and noise it alleviated. But I'm not singularly obsessed with the value of my house anyway.

is NIMBY supposed be an insult? also you didn't answer the question I asked.

This I don't believe for a second. Particularly the Rochestown Road part. I live on Coach Hill myself. I don't see it reducing any traffic and in fact can only make things worse but I don't think it will have any major affect so not bothered either way other than by the waste of money.

Mount Oval is used as a rat run to access garryduff and Moneygurney travelling south on the N28. This is because the junction with the N28 and the Rochestown Road and the N28 is clogged at rush hour.

The upgraded Carrs Hill junction will provide an additional exit onto the old Carrigaline Road and Maryborough Hill via a new access road. Will make things a lot better.

Can you elaborate by the way how it will make things worse?

is NIMBY supposed be an insult? also you didn't answer the question I asked.

It is. It suggests a closed mind, obsessed on maintaining the status quo for illogical reasons. It has always been an insult - and you are one. Of the worst kind.

I did - it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭cc

Waste of money? The years of bottle neck between shannonpark roundabout and the N40 is getting lost here with all the rochestown talk, never mind the development of Ringaskiddy port. Some of you need to realise you are living in an Urban area not West Cork.

It is. It suggests a closed mind, obsessed on maintaining the status quo for illogical reasons. It has always been an insult - and you are one. Of the worst kind.

I did - it doesn't.

lots don't want it to happen.
    I'd suggest you get used to it :)

ABP does not give much truck to price-obsessed NIMBYs, thankfully. Nothing has changed since last time you battered on about it.

I get the impression that your knowledge of what the scheme is trying to achieve and the results to traffic flow in the area is quite poor.

At least I haven't seen you make a single credible argument on here yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Carrs Hill is a very dangerous road especially for cyclists. There have been a number of deaths on it over the past 10 years.
    There is too high a volume of traffic on the road for its size and this is only increasing with carraigaline growing and industries in ringaskiddy recovering.

This road is well overdue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

It needs to happen and it's going to. You can't stop progress.

• Advertisement

I get the impression that your knowledge of what the scheme is trying to achieve and the results to traffic flow in the area is quite poor.

At least I haven't seen you make a single credible argument on here yet.

not wanting to destroy a wooded area is a concern. there's already high noise levels in the area. People don't want anymore increases in sound pollution.

Advertisement