Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Songs About Drug Addiction

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

K's Choice - not an addict was the first song that came to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Kid Loco's - Cocaine Diana is another

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

Didn't ever think much what sugar kane was about,damm fine tune though.Its a an easy assumption to think its about Cocaine but digging around a bit more I read that Marilyn Monroes character in some like it hot was called Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk. Reading the lyrics you could interpret the song such.Sugar Kane does not seem to be a well known slang word for cocaine either.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Guns N' Roses Coma & Bad Obsession.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

RHCP Snow

Guns n Roses MR Brownstone

Black Sabbath Snowblind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

The Only Ones - Another Girl , Another Planet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

H R puff n stuff.

Puff the magic dragon wasnt really a dragon;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Surprised this wasn't already mentioned: Follow me by uncle kracker

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

How do you determine whether the song is about drug addiction and not just drug use?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

The Doors - Crystal Ship.

Although some contend it's a love song dedicated to an old girlfirend.

When you think about it practically every other song from that era of music seems to have some drug reference woven into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

Didn't ever think much what sugar kane was about,damm fine tune though.Its a an easy assumption to think its about Cocaine but digging around a bit more I read that Marilyn Monroes character in some like it hot was called Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk. Reading the lyrics you could interpret the song such.Sugar Kane does not seem to be a well known slang word for cocaine either.

Not trying to start an argument or nothing but I think "Kane" for cocaine is about as obvious as it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Libadour

tomofson wrote: »
    Not trying to start an argument or nothing but I think "Kane" for cocaine is about as obvious as it gets.

No worries,I cant tell definitively from any search I have done on google and neither can these folks but the Marilyn explanation does seem to the most fitting when you read the lyrics!

http://songmeanings.com/songs/view/48704/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Surprised nobody has posted this yet...

Its not about drug addiction,its about someone dying and the drugs dont work any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Got to give it up . Thin Lizzy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

This song is about his mother dying of cancer apparently

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

John Lennon - Cold Turkey

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭jma

I've been smoking up weed
    I've been sipping on lean
    everything that I touch
    Becomes apart of of me
    ****ing love you so much
    That I know you can see

Got to keep your head up when your down
    Hard enough to keep both feet on the ground

Look who wrote a little song
    Didn't make it too long
    Difference between
    What's right and what's wrong
    My life turned out great
    It's a catastrophe
    In my parents house
    Watching rick and morty

Single 2016
    https://www.youtube.com/user/grungepants /// Dublin, Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Ken Tucky wrote: »
    This song is about his mother dying of cancer apparently
    I've yet to find a definitive answer for this. Some sources report that Richard wrote it about his drug addiction in the mid-90s, and he did a lot of drugs. Other sources report that it was inspired by his father dying (not his mother). The song itself is ambiguous, which leads me to believe that it's a combination of the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

Hurt - Nine Inch Nails

I've yet to find a definitive answer for this. Some sources report that Richard wrote it about his drug addiction in the mid-90s, and he did a lot of drugs. Other sources report that it was inspired by his father dying (not his mother). The song itself is ambiguous, which leads me to believe that it's a combination of the two.

You could be right actually..this is what wiki has to say.

Lead singer Richard Ashcroft wrote the song in early 1995. He briefly mentioned it in an interview at the time, relating it to his drug usage: "There's a new track I've just written [...] It goes 'the drugs don't work, they just make me worse, and I know I'll see your face again'. That's how I'm feeling at the moment. They make me worse, man. But I still take 'em. Out of boredom and frustration you turn to something else to escape

But the lyrics themselves are 'the drugs don't work, they just make YOU worse' so maybe it was modified for the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

You could be right actually..this is what wiki has to say.

Lead singer Richard Ashcroft wrote the song in early 1995. He briefly mentioned it in an interview at the time, relating it to his drug usage: "There's a new track I've just written [...] It goes 'the drugs don't work, they just make me worse, and I know I'll see your face again'. That's how I'm feeling at the moment. They make me worse, man. But I still take 'em. Out of boredom and frustration you turn to something else to escape

But the lyrics themselves are 'the drugs don't work, they just make YOU worse' so maybe it was modified for the radio.

For the demo Richard sang "They just make me worse"

• Advertisement

Not about addiction per se ..

Advertisement