Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to get me a cargo bike

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Also, go clipless as soon as you can. Makes a huge difference, especially for climbing. I regret not doing it sooner.

Out of interest. Is everyone set up with the "normal" brake system. Mine came continental style and I've left it as such, My impulse is to pull right side and I wanted not not accidentally slam on the front brake at any point.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

yeah all my bikes are "normal", right=front. not sure i could ride bikes with different brakes. It's bad enough switching between cars with indicator stalks on opposite sides of the steering column, but at least that won't send you over the handlebars, just wipe your windscreen when you want to turn.

Well, I'm on it seven years at this point with no hassles. I'm not actually switching, am still using my right hand for everything. Anyways, obviously I'm the odd one out so if it's not broke, I don't need to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭omri

Out of interest. Is everyone set up with the "normal" brake system. Mine came continental style and I've left it as such, My impulse is to pull right side and I wanted not not accidentally slam on the front brake at any point.

kenmc wrote: »
    yeah all my bikes are "normal", right=front. not sure i could ride bikes with different brakes.

Mine is right - rear, left - front. Same as my road bike I think. I know there was an explanation for why it differs depending on which side traffic is in different country (mainly continental europe - UK/IE) but I don't think it makes any difference for me. I always explained it that if my right shifter does rear gears so I use the right lever for rear brake.

Also, go clipless as soon as you can. Makes a huge difference, especially for climbing. I regret not doing it sooner.

I don't think I have the nerve for it. But speaking of it - I got some shimano spd pedal with the bike. I don't have shoes to match that, however I have time pedals with mtb shoes (not great for walking as such). So only looking at how easy is it to clip in/out - which one would be more user friendly ?

Another technical question - is it possible to set up front mech so it isn't noisy across the whole range of cassette ?

I wouldn't bother getting something you couldn't walk in? The cargo bike is, to me, the pinnacle of practical cycling, so you need to be able to walk too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Well, I'm on it seven years at this point with no hassles. I'm not actually switching, am still using my right hand for everything. Anyways, obviously I'm the odd one out so if it's not broke, I don't need to fix it.

I meant switching between bikes, all my bikes have right brake = front. Wouldn't fancy having a mix of bikes with some having right=front and others left=front

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

kenmc wrote: »
    You'll probably find your normal bike is very twitchy the next few times you use it, but you'll quickly get used to switching between them.

+1. I had to drop my Big Dummy in for a service a couple of weeks ago and found that I could barely ride my road bike! Taking off at lights was a total nightmare, I was all over the place until I got a bit of speed up.

Can't bring myself to commute on anything but the Dummy though, it's kind of addictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

BTW omri, your PM mailbox seems to be full! Sent you one, but it can't be delivered.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    BTW omri, your PM mailbox seems to be full! Sent you one, but it can't be delivered.

sorted

Finally, after nearly eight weeks, I have the bakfiets. I went to get it with the Brompton, so it was handy for getting the Brompton home.
    386400.jpg

I went around the estate about five times tonight, by popular request. At least I know that, despite some misgivings, I can cycle up the quite steep hill from the bottom of my estate to the top, fully laden.
    386401.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

That's so class .

I have a few cycles and really love them, in process of buying a new racer.
    Last year I sold my car and bought a toura and cycled to work everyday, the amount of bag space was fantastic , and managed to bring in my camera , laptop, spare clothes . lunch .
    As you can imagine people took piss at start but slowely became interested .

Today I came across this thread and like the original op I totally agree, its impossible to have to many bikes .

I have 3 young kids and they'd love these. I'm defo looking into these and making it my new obsession.

Nearly two weeks in, and it's all going very well.

Does anyone know if there is an identifier or a serial number stamped into the frame of the bakfiets? I found a sticker with a code under the bottom bracket, but that doesn't seem much use in the event of the bike being stolen.

In terms of security, a Kryptolok Series 2 does the job of securing the front wheel, looping over the steering linkage and through the gap between the fork and the steering limiter, while an Abus City Chain X-Plus 1060 allows you to lock the frame between the bottom bracket and the wooden box to most things. Anything shorter (it's just over a metre long) would make life difficult, I think. The City Chain also allows you to loop through the rear wheel and lock at a point just in front of the bottom bracket, which is handy enough if there's no pole or rack to lock to.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

Awesome bike tomasrojo.

Always smile when I see a cargo bike. Happy cycling!

Finally, after nearly eight weeks, I have the bakfiets. I went to get it with the Brompton, so it was handy for getting the Brompton home.
    386400.jpg

Thats a nice looking bike and kids seem to enjoy it too. Do you have a normal bike apart from this one. If you do I wonder how do you find switching between. On my first day on cargo I met a courier on bullitt and he said one you use it and then go back on your normal bike you'll be like a Dumbo - and boy he was right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

omri wrote: »
    Finally, after nearly eight weeks, I have the bakfiets. I went to get it with the Brompton, so it was handy for getting the Brompton home.[\quote]

Thats a nice looking bike and kids seem to enjoy it too. Do you have a normal bike apart from this one. If you do I wonder how do you find switching between. On my first day on cargo I met a courier on bullitt and he said one you use it and then go back on your normal bike you'll be like a Dumbo - and boy he was right :)

There are 2 bikes in that photo!

Do you have a normal bike apart from this one. If you do I wonder how do you find switching between.

As Mr. Grieves says, one of my other bikes is hiding in plain sight in the photo. I also have a tourer. I feel like an elephant on a child's trike when I go from the cargo bike to any other bike.

In particular, the steering on the tourer feels incredibly twitchy. The folder always felt twitchy, so I don't seem to notice the change that much. The more forward-leaning sitting position on the tourer makes me feel very far forward too.

In particular, the steering on the tourer feels incredibly twitchy. The folder always felt twitchy, so I don't seem to notice the change that much. The more forward-leaning sitting position on the tourer makes me feel very far forward too.

Welcome to the club. The only solution is to get on both bikes each day. Which usualy doesnt happen in my case as it's bloody heavy up hill, and I'm spent for the rest of the day :)

I sorted out a way of mounting an extra front light (the dynamo front light that comes with the bakfiets is a be-seen-with not a see-by light).

I remembered I had an old Ikea Stugvik toilet roll holder, which has a suction cup on the back, which is a handy cushion between the wood of the bakfiets box and the plastic of the holder.

So, a few nuts and bolts later:

389749.jpg
    389747.jpg

Also, mounted a bracket for a stronger rear light (Smart R2), using a split wine cork:

389748.jpg

Anyway, that was yesterday, before the EU roof fell in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Love the cork!

• Advertisement

I sorted out a way of mounting an extra front light (the dynamo front light that comes with the bakfiets is a be-seen-with not a see-by light).

I remembered I had an old Ikea Stugvik toilet roll holder, which has a suction cup on the back, which is a handy cushion between the wood of the bakfiets box and the plastic of the holder.

So, a few nuts and bolts later:

389749.jpg
    389747.jpg

Also, mounted a bracket for a stronger rear light (Smart R2), using a split wine cork:

389748.jpg

Im looking forward to seeing this on kickstarter - preferably made of carbon or titanium and aero.

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    Love the cork!

I used the same trick on my other bike, but I used an artificial cork. I think that's better, as a traditional Quercus suber one will gradually rot. Will be ok for a while though!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I used the same trick on my other bike, but I used an artificial cork. I think that's better, as a traditional Quercus suber one will gradually rot. Will be ok for a while though!

I had a similar one on the front of my old bike, like the grip that holds shifters to the drop bars but with a nub attached. Cost me 8 euro in Holland and was great.

Must keep an eye out for one of them. Handy.

Another Ikea hack. I needed to get the long chain lock and the u-lock out of the bakfiets box, as it was getting a pain fishing them out all the time, and getting the kids rained on before they were ready to get out.

I had a spare Variera plastic bag dispenser. One hacksaw, some old light mounts, some cable ties and a few rubber strips later:

391076.jpg

Seems to work so far. Much preferable to keeping the locks in the box, and cost me €0.00

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Recently I carried some 1.5m bamboo canes home from a DIY shop by using the snellbinders (built-in rubber bungees) on my back carrier to anchor the bunch of canes and slotting the other end of the bunch through a handlebar-mounted coffee cup holder. You're making me wish I'd taken a photo now! The next time I cycle with my kite, watch this space.

Bike hack thread?

Another Ikea hack. I needed to get the long chain lock and the u-lock out of the bakfiets box, as it was getting a pain fishing them out all the time, and getting the kids rained on before they were ready to get out.

I had a spare Variera plastic bag dispenser. One hacksaw, some old light mounts, some cable ties and a few rubber strips later:

391076.jpg

Seems to work so far. Much preferable to keeping the locks in the box, and cost me €0.00

I am wondering what will you have for us next ?

I am wondering what will you have for us next ?

391105.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Bike hack thread?

Carried one of these home on the bike. Cable ties and bowed legs...

61303.jpg

Advertisement