Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free BT Sports and Eir Sports

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭OldRio

You are getting the BT Sports channels via Satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pinkles

but i dont subscribe to sky....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭OldRio

Therefore that part doesn't effect you.

To watch these channels you can use the broadband service that Eir provide.

This should explain

https://www.eir.ie/sport/

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

Have it up and running on firefox with my mothers account credentials. What type of android box is reqd to stream it. I have an android tv stick with kodi etc but won;t allow download of the app

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

Have it up and running on firefox with my mothers account credentials. What type of android box is reqd to stream it. I have an android tv stick with kodi etc but won;t allow download of the app

Have a minix box. Downloaded the app via the google play store. Logged in on the app and it works well.

• Advertisement

Are the channels HD or SD?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Has anyone with an existing eir BB account and a Sky box been able to sign-up?

I get as far as logging in to My Eir, put in the viewing card number and then get "Sorry, we were unable to process your order. Please check your details and try again. "

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Mickalus wrote: »
    Watching it online here now.... http://live.eirsport.ie/

Just have to sign in with your Eir details. Didn't work on Chrome, had to use Firefox and install Microsoft Silverlight.
    Looks good so far!

Damn, can't use the chromecast so. Anybody sign in successfully using eir details on a connection that isn't provided by eir?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jpbdrogheda

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Has anyone with an existing eir BB account and a Sky box been able to sign-up?

I get as far as logging in to My Eir, put in the viewing card number and then get "Sorry, we were unable to process your order. Please check your details and try again. "

Any ideas?

Yeah i have Eir bb and Sky. Signed up a few minutes ago and within a minute i could view it on tv through the skybox.

Try again and maybe it will work eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

Yeah i have Eir bb and Sky. Signed up a few minutes ago and within a minute i could view it on tv through the skybox.

Did you have to sign up to a new contract?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yea will try it again in a while.. no luck just now but I'd imagine it's probably inundated tonight

Spoke to their online chat agent and they confirmed they're aware of the issue and suggested calling 0818 20 30 40 which I've done but they're only open 9-6 so if no joy later I'll just call them in the morning and get them to add it at their side.

Cheers for confirming it should work though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jpbdrogheda

Did you have to sign up to a new contract?

No, i didn't have to sign up for new contract. Just check my Eir account online and the contract start date hasn't changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Rang 'Setanta' earlier to cancel my annual subscription and claim my pro-rata refund. Girl on the line said that this was being done automatically. She also said that the subscription was for 18 months and would be cancelled automatically after this date.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,231 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I have Sky, a Setanta/BT account, and my phone/broadband from Eir.

Am I right in thinking that I don't have to do anything? My Setanta payment will end, my Eir Sport and BT sport channels will be available already (I'm watching Eir 1 now)?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,231 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Just downloaded the app, useless sods won't let me watch it on my UK phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭Zardoz

No, i didn't have to sign up for new contract. Just check my Eir account online and the contract start date hasn't changed.

Nice ,that would make more sense

It says here
    http://support.eir.ie/eirsport/sky
    What happens if I cease my eir Broadband?

If your eir Broadband is ceased, you no longer qualify for this offer. Access to the channel pack will be removed within 24 hrs of broadband cessation.

If there was a new 18 month contract it wouldn't say that I'd assume.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

pinkles wrote: »
    what i dont understand is that it is supposed to be free via Sky. if it is a broadband-based service - how can eir provide it free via satellite?

Sky don't actually own the satellites. It isn't particularly expensive to transmit a channel on satellite.

Roughly half the channels on "sky" aren't actually transmitted by Sky, but are instead transmitted by their owners and have no encryption, for instance all or most of the BBC, ITV, C4 and C5 channels. That is how these channels are FTA on satellite and are also available on Freesat and Sky.

Sky is just taking these channels, adding them to their EPG and charging you for what you can get free elsewhere!

BT Sports and Setanta/Eir are a special case. They are actually encrypted on satellite, but they are separate from Sky and can work on an old Sky box even if you don't have a Sky subscription any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Yea will try it again in a while.. no luck just now but I'd imagine it's probably inundated tonight

Spoke to their online chat agent and they confirmed they're aware of the issue and suggested calling 0818 20 30 40 which I've done but they're only open 9-6 so if no joy later I'll just call them in the morning and get them to add it at their side.

Cheers for confirming it should work though :)

Just be aware that that setanta number is a premium call line and depending on how long you are on it can cost a few Bob.....

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Daithi07

I have sky broadband, so I wonder will they match the offer and give us sky sports?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

Daithi07 wrote: »
    I have sky broadband, so I wonder will they match the offer and give us sky sports?

Hopefully themselves and vodafone broadband(obviously dont own any sports channels so interesting to see their offers) will hit back with some equally good offers - otherwise surely they will haemorrhage a lot of customers to eir.

Eir have said dont expect sports to be free for ever but at least a year.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/eir-sport-secures-rights-to-2019-rugby-world-cup-1.2710988

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Jamie OD

The eir Sport website doesn't work on Google Chrome. Even says so on the FAQ page. What?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

How to i watch the eir channels on sky, i have eir broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

I have a setanta subscription and have sky. Can i still use the eir app to watch out and about? Would be great if so because i could never manage it with BT..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Jamie OD wrote: »
    The eir Sport website doesn't work on Google Chrome. Even says so on the FAQ page. What?

Eir Sport uses Silverlight which is an an old ass Microsoft technology that even MS have dropped support from their latest Edge browser! Chrome has also dropped Silverlight support and Firefox is planning to drop it in future too.

Most of the rest of the industry (Netflix, youtube, Amazon Prime, etc.) are moving or have already moved over to using HTML5

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pinkles

Jamie OD wrote: »

yes be careful when registering your device (in error via chrome)
    firstly, it actually counts as a device change to access eir sports.
    first of all , i tried to register via chrome (didnt work but counted as a device
    change)
    (then my phone - worked)
    then i changed to the old IE explorer - i know it works on that but unfortunately i had already chnged devices to my phone and now it wont let me log in via IE for another month. bummer.
    but having said that, there is virtually no football on BT till mid august so i can wait!
    via my phone the service is excellent. just make sure you use the old IE , or mozilla when logging on first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

What is the app that you can use to view the channels?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jaycos11

Dont mind if I ask how you registered your viewing card number on the website?

Doesnt seem to be working on Chrome or Firefox.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Sponsorgate

Its free for life according to chat session I had with eir this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Sponsorgate

ronanc1000 wrote: »

Have a minix box. Downloaded the app via the google play store. Logged in on the app and it works well.
    Are they in HD on minix?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Whats the link to watch the channels through your browser when you cant get near the sky box?

Advertisement