Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Championship 2016 flyer .........Problems!

Options
  • 14-05-2016 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭

http://www.icu.ie/system/events/flyers/000/000/797/original/Irish_Chess_Championships_2016.pdf?1461883109

Not wanting to bring down the wrath of organisers(and their friends !) on me again by reporting issues late and also for the benefit of both players/organisers, I want to highlight issues in the flyer posted on ICU site. I'll start by mentioning couple of blunders and then talk about more issues later on ....

1. Big blunder in the flyer is,.... The time frame for games in the Fide rated " Irish open weekender 2016 " is 90 min + 15 seconds, as this is an OPEN, if a player rated 2200 or over enters this tournament, it can NOT be rated!, increment needs to be increased to 30 seconds, the under 1500 section is the one which could do with 15 seconds increments instead of 30 secs and NOT the Open!.

2. The intermediate & Junior section are under the heading of " Closed Swiss events", first, It doesn't mention what it means by "CLOSED", is it referring to IRL federation or ICU members ?............THEN ............... in Notes in the flyer ( number 5 ) it says
    5. Entry to the Irish Championship is restricted to players
    registered as IRL with FIDE. For the other FIDE rated events, entry
    is open to all however, those with no FIDE registration will have to
    agree to be registered as IRL players or we cannot allow them to
    play. This is in accordance with FIDE rules.
    So it looks that these two events are NOT closed at all and are OPEN competitions ! I am discombobulated :confused: .

The good news is that, There appears to be NO barred pairing based on club affiliation up to round 3 which was used in the last Fide rated tournament I attended, which was in breach of Fide rules on pairing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Bunrattyman

I am the person who made out the flyer and yes, Sinbad is correct on both his main points above ! I had corrected these points ( and a few others ) before but I accidentally uploaded the version of the flyer before the corrections were made.

Thanks for pointing them out, they should be fine now but if I've slipped up again, let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭sinbad68

@ Bunrattyman,Thanks, It's refreshing to see someone on boards.ie admit to making mistakes and correct them, which is an intelligent thing to do ( Sinbad has also made a lot of mistakes on the chess board and in his life! :( ) *mod snip*

Couple of other minor errors on flyer

1. Under ENTRY FEES section it says " players 2200+ on June 2014 ICU list ",obviously " on June 2014 ICU list" needs to get deleted, there is No need for replacement as June 2016 is already mentioned under "Entry fee" section.

2. In notes on flyer it mentions entry list ( with link) would be provided in early May, which is not the case ( not important).

Few other notes
    1. The Junior ( Under 1500) section is Fide rated , with few in that section having Fide ratings, is it bit of waste of money?.

2. under 2000 rated pay 75 euro entry fee, clarity needed, does that apply to 1900-1999 section or anyone under 2000 ?

3. When senior section is posted as "CLOSED" and other events on the same flyer, perhaps " OPEN" should be used in their title to avoid confusion.

4. what happened to women championship which is supposed to be run at the same time as senior section Irish championship?, if forthcoming does it mean that women who qualify to play in senior section of Irish championship have to choose between women championship and Irish championship?

5. Setting the venue in UCD is a good move IMO, walking around late in night at weekends in city centre with little parking but plenty of drunks and junkies is NOT good for adults let alone children, having said that it creates problems for some of those using public transport, I wonder, would it be feasible if some kind of Taxi-uber share scheme could be arranged for those who are interested and living on other side of town, to drop them within walking distance of their residence weekend nights?

6. ICU is advertising a tournament being held in France, is there any advertisement of Irish championship ( Not senior section )in UK, France or Holland ? as July is holiday season, a few overseas players might decide to make it a chess holiday in Ireland if they knew about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Hi Bunrattyman,
    I'm based in UCD and regularly meet lost people who hadn't realised the size of the place. I would suggest that the flyer should include the name of the building - I think it's the UCD Student Centre? I know that Astra Hall is in there, but have never heard of the Quad room! Once people find the right building they'll be ok, but it's about 1km from the bus terminus to the student centre

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tuisceanch

sinbad68 wrote: »
    @ Bunrattyman,Thanks, It's refreshing to see someone on boards.ie admit to making mistakes and correct them, which is an intelligent thing to do ( Sinbad has also made a lot of mistakes on the chess board and in his life! :( ) *mod snip*.

In your previous thread where your ostensible purpose was to provide constructive feedback you described the organizers as 'not useful' and said that their efforts regarding posting final standings and the draw were 'half arsed'. You also described any other party that did not concur with your approach as 'fools'. In what universe is that not abusive?. You were asked to elaborate on your criticisms regarding the draw and your desire to see the entry list and I explained in detail the rationale for the design of the site and how perhaps it might not be easy to use on mobiles and if you could confirm whether that was the case. There were 'facts and figures' aplenty as you choose to call it for you to ponder and respond in a non-contentious and constructive manner but you blithely declined to. Please don't be so naive as to expect other people to accept your,perhaps unintentional, rudeness with sang-froid. If you want to criticize my efforts I'm quite happy for you to discuss that with me over a coffee when our paths next cross. Perhaps you might have design issues you would like me to consider? Other people chose another path when confronted with issues e.g. the unavailability of the Paypal service after a minor change was implemented by contacting the organizers using the contact details provided and the issue was resolved promptly and without unnecessary conflict. I kindly request that I don't want to be involved in any further spats with you online as I think it is very unpleasant.

@Tuisceanch. I have praised the effort organisers made in your tournament and on more than one occasion called them nice & friendly. I have answered your previous questions.I have offered to help with the next tournament ( offer declined!).I made some valid criticism( NO abuse) in the hope that it will lead to improvement in the tournament which will benefit players and the tournament in the future and you should not be thin skinned when it comes to valid criticism.I don't like beating around the bush and like to speak the Truth and was never good at sugar coating it. As regards discussion over coffee, thanks but No thanks, I fear you may have a chip on your shoulder now and any discussion will lead to a pointless argument and within a few minutes lead to a noise higher on decibel scale than the noisy door which tormented Sinbad for 3 days. I am done talking about this subject, If you want to get the last words in, you are welcome to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tuisceanch

I have praised the effort organisers made in your tournament
    Only as an afterthought and which was acknowledged but queried why you could not have prefaced your original comments with that sentiment before maturely offering your unsolicited advice.
    and on more than one occasion called them nice & friendly
    Damning with faint praise and qualifying it subsequently by describing them as not useful. How charming!
    @Tuisceanch.I have answered your previous questions.
    No you didn't. Pretending otherwise is disingenuous. You described the format of the draw as cumbersome and drew attention to the oversight in round 2 which was not posted. It was explained to you that it was an oversight and I requested you to elaborate on what you meant by cumbersome. I described in length the reason why we cannot use the Swiiss master format. You just ignored that response to your 'valid criticism'. If you want to raise issues or 'valid criticisms' as you phrase it then have the good manners to respond when an answer is forthcoming. Otherwise why did you bother raising it, if your ostensible purpose was to improve the process. I still don't know what you meant by cumbersome so you haven't helped in any shape or form.Thanks for that. I wouldn't have bothered replying if I had realized that it seemed your sole intent was to snipe from afar and glorify in your own wisdom. Harsh but I don't need to sugar coat my true feelings on the matter since, presumably, your penchant for speaking the truth to people is not a one way street?
    I have offered to help with the next tournament ( offer declined!).
    Could be construed as the height of arrogance. Also why piggyback on the previous long established efforts of others when you could easily run your own tournament?
    I made some valid criticism( NO abuse) in the hope that it will lead to improvement in the tournament which will benefit players and the tournament in the future and you should not be thin skinned when it comes to valid criticism.
    I already quoted the examples where your language was abusive and it was pointed out to you at the time and, regardless of your intent, you should recognize when you have caused offense and have the humility to apologize. Also people who run tournaments,coach kids and facilitate dissemination of information are promoting chess. Raising issues, like the ones you do, are predominantly done on a personal basis or by simply contacting the relevant parties with no animosity on either side. Sniping on social media does nothing to promote chess at all. Also when errors or issues arise in a tournament you are entitled to bring them to the attention of the parties concerned but to criticize anonymously on a public forum is,in my opinion, the height of ill manners. Considering the language and manner in which you chose to conduct yourself I think you were treated with more respect and dignity than your behaviour merited. You need to recognize that you are talking to real human beings with feeling, just like you.
    I don't like beating around the bush and like to speak the Truth and was never good at sugar coating it. As regards discussion over coffee, thanks but No thanks, I fear you may have a chip on your shoulder now and any discussion will lead to a pointless argument and within a few minutes lead to a noise higher on decibel scale than the noisy door which tormented Sinbad for 3 days..
    Please refrain from personal abuse and stop projecting your own fears for personal contact on me. I'm not wont to involve myself in a heated manner over trivial matters like this but would probably conclude it was a pointless on the basis that the other person is not inclined to take on board what has being said to him and/or was unqualified,due to lack of real experience,to discuss with any real insight. I sincerely hope you do not think it appropriate to talk to people, like you have here,in person.
    I am done talking about this subject, If you want to get the last words in, you are welcome to it.
    Well good, then stop going on about how you were victimized in another thread when nobody and I repeat nobody was of the same opinion as you on that matter. Thanks for allowing me the last word on this subject which was raised due to your,in my opinion, gross misrepresentation of facts and here it is..
    Treat people like you would like to be treated yourself is good advice I feel.

Looking at entries to Irish championship in link below ( scroll down the page in the link )

http://www.icu.ie/events/797

It appears that the senior section is now open to any IRL federation player regardless of rating despite flyer stating that the competition is for over 1900 rated players!.
    So now a 2150 rated player will pay 50 euro to enter the the competition and a player rated 1094 ( already entered) pays 75 euro, a difference of 25 euro only.

25 euro divided by 9 rounds = 2.78 euro per round ( rounded up)
    a bag of tesco peanuts costs = 3.55 euro

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=292011673

So now even an unrated player can enter Irish senior championship vs a 2150 rated player for a daily price of less than a bag of peanuts from Tesco!.

IMO, if standards are being done away with and entry to Irish championship is for sale, it should not be cheaper than a bag of peanuts per day.

British chess championship entry fee for under 2000 is £300 ( approx 400 Euro) and for 2000-2149 rated is £200 and many players have paid it.

http://www.britishchesschampionships.co.uk/entrants/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

The player probably hit the wrong option when entering, I'm sure it will be fixed.

Neo_Ninja wrote: »
    The player probably hit the wrong option when entering
    Did the Benildus player who entered and doesn't qualify, according to the flyer also hit the wrong button ?!.
    Neo_Ninja wrote: »
    I'm sure it will be fixed.
    Are you in the loop of decision making of Irish championship ?, If not, then you are just guessing and why are you using The word " Sure" in your sentence ?. You seemed sure that Benildus B will stay up in Armstrong last season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

I knew when I replied to you that you would come back with a smart answer. You might be better suited to spending your money on peanuts than chess if the system bothers you so much.

• Advertisement

Yes, there has been changes in Irish championship info & entry section on ICU site in the past few hours

http://www.icu.ie/events/797

The Benildus Junior and the Sub 1100 rated players names have mysteriously vanished from the championship entry list and no where to be seen in any of the sections !. It now appears that 1900 rating is once again the floor for entry into the senior section, A few days ago I posted here that there should be clarity whether by Sub-2000 they meant anyone under 2000 rating or those in 1900-1999 rating section( I was ignored), and it appears as a result of this confusion the mentioned players entered the senior section, If The unqualified players can't get into senior section they will very likely enter one or both of weekenders. The interesting new language in entry fees means that if you are exactly 2000 or 2200 rated, you have the option of either paying 50 euro or 75 euro to enter in the case of the former and 50 euro or 40 euro for the latter !.

Knowing Benildus club so well, I don't expect them to let this go and to argue with the organiser that the Junior attempting to enter senior championship had a rating from couple of months ago which was over the entry threshold and that he is a prodigy.
    Last year Benildus argued and succeeded to put another Junior into the senior section claiming that he was a prodigy which created an odd number and problems,......... a year later,.......... that Junior has a rating which is lower than the one he entered the senior championship with!.

Anyway, hopefully I'll be able to play in both weekenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Knowing Benildus club so well...
    Obviously we're a monolitic entity, and in no way are you just talking ****e about two children.

mikhail wrote: »
    Obviously we're a monolitic entity, and in no way are you just talking ****e about two children.

I did NOT say you were a monolithic( correct spelling) entity. I've been to Benildus club and have met and spoken to many of your club members over the years and majority are nice & friendly .It is unbecoming of you to u̶s̶e̶ imply foul language,there is No need for it, The statement I made about what happened last year is correct, I am just curious as what will happen in this year's championship, that's all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Knowing Benildus club so well, I don't expect them to let this go and to argue with the organiser that the Junior attempting to enter senior championship had a rating from couple of months ago which was over the entry threshold and that he is a prodigy.
    Last year Benildus argued and succeeded to put another Junior into the senior section claiming that he was a prodigy which created an odd number and problems
    For the record, so far as I'm aware, both of these claims are nonsense. But I think sinbad knows this.

I did argue on here that our player was worthy of entry last year - and he proved this in the tournament - but that can hardly be said to have contributed to the organisers' decision to allow him enter.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭checknraise

I dont have any issue with someone playing up playing however the lowest rated player registered should be advised that their entry is conditional on a even number playing in order to avoid a bye.

The bigger problem for Irish chess is most of the stronger players do not play tournaments anymore, I think the ICU should survey the 2000+ players and see what if anything can be done to get them to play more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

Bernd Thee has a FIDE rating of over 1900, Ross Beatty does not so why is he being allowed to enter the Irish Championship? Maybe he is the greatest child prodigy since Sammy Reshevsky but a line has to be drawn somewhere and that line is 1900. What happens now if six more 1800 players try to enter? they can hardly be denied entry if Beatty is accepted.

I dont have any issue with someone playing up playing however the lowest rated player registered should be advised that their entry is conditional on a even number playing in order to avoid a bye.

The bigger problem for Irish chess is most of the stronger players do not play tournaments anymore, I think the ICU should survey the 2000+ players and see what if anything can be done to get them to play more often.

I was a regular participant in the Irish Championship for many years and indeed would have played this year had the 1900 floor been observed but if years of tradition are going to be ignored then I won't bother my (_x_) entering.
    Surely an EGM should be needed to change (or ignore) the rules for an Irish Championship or can the Controller just do whatever he feels like regarding our national championship?

sodacat11 wrote: »
    Bernd Thee has a FIDE rating of over 1900, Ross Beatty does not so why is he being allowed to enter the Irish Championship? Maybe he is the greatest child prodigy since Sammy Reshevsky but a line has to be drawn somewhere and that line is 1900.
    Don't know the reason for this, but Ross was above 1900 until recently - maybe he entered while above 1900? I don't know when entries opened.

Also, is the system of exec invites still in operation? I think it was there last year. That could explain it too.

Above is just guesswork though.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Chessrookie

My understanding is that the ICU officer is still able to invite one deserving junior who does not meet the 1900 threshold.
    Ross has won two weekend tournaments this calendar year, has been close to 2,000 this year and is on the Irish Glorney team next month. He also plays nearly every weekender.
    If the above does not meet the criteria for an invited place, surely nothing will.

My understanding is that the ICU officer is still able to invite one deserving junior who does not meet the 1900 threshold.
    Ross has won two weekend tournaments this calendar year, has been close to 2,000 this year and is on the Irish Glorney team next month. He also plays nearly every weekender.
    If the above does not meet the criteria for an invited place, surely nothing will.

That's all very well but what happens if someone rated 40 points higher than Beatty but still below 1900 wants to enter? Would it be fair not to let them play?
    Ratings don't lie,especially for someone who plays as often as Beatty does.If he was 1900 strength then he would have a 1900 rating.

• Advertisement

Well if it is that Ross has qualified by virtue of a wild card - which was passed at the ICU AGM - then another player under 1900 who doesn't receive a wildcard hasn't been hard done by, no.

If there are wildcards being handed out, I think they should be indicated though.

checknraise asked why so many strong players don't play in tournaments any more.One of the reasons is because rating floors are ignored. Tournaments that insist on high standards like Bunratty continue to flourish.
    It used to really mean something just to be eligible to play in an Irish Championship but the people who have been running Irish Chess for the past few years have no sense of history, tradition or integrity and are just diluting our national championship to no more than an elongated weekender.

I think that's getting a bit hyperbolic to be honest.

FIrst off, "the people who have been running Irish chess for the past few years" have varied a lot in the past few years; there's been some very different committees, often at loggerheads with each other. I don't think you can generalise about them quite like that!

But also, the general membership of the ICU, not solely its (various) executives, approved at an AGM the idea of offering some wildcards for the Irish Senior Championships.

cdeb wrote: »
    I think that's getting a bit hyperbolic to be honest.

FIrst off, "the people who have been running Irish chess for the past few years" have varied a lot in the past few years; there's been some very different committees, often at loggerheads with each other. I don't think you can generalise about them quite like that!

But also, the general membership of the ICU, not solely its (various) executives, approved at an AGM the idea of offering some wildcards for the Irish Senior Championships.

Let me rephrase that then, the present crowd are even worse than their predecessors because instead of undoing the damage done to the Irish Championship they have actually legitimized it!!
    It is just so typical of the way kids are treated nowadays. They(well most of them) expect everything handed to them on a plate without ever having to earn anything and well meaning buffoons who sit on committees are all to eager to pander to them. Where are all these child prodigies that we have bent the rules for in the past? Most of them are no longer even active in chess.
    I am blue in the face arguing about rating floors being strictly adhered to yet no one has ever been able to tell me just what is wrong with the idea that people should have to qualify and earn the right to participate in elte events.

Let me rephrase that then, the present crowd are even worse than their predecessors because instead of undoing the damage done to the Irish Championship they have actually legitimized it!!
    The current ICU exec can't simply take a decision to ignore motions previously passed by the general membership at an AGM.

I agree with respecting rating floors, and have been glad to see a notable tightening up in that regard in recent years. However, mol an óige agus tiochfaidh sé - the idea of encouraging youth is hardly new, we've got the best young generation now since the boom sparked by Fischer v Spassky and while some will inevitably drop off, I don't see any problem in the wildcard system if encouraging players - and the wildcards aren't just for juniors - to progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I have a slight itch at the moment in the knuckle at the base of my little finger on my left hand. That's about how irritated I am about ratings floors generally. I once lost to a 1400 in an over 1600 section; I know that pain. But the guys pissing and moaning about ratings floors? Those guys are a real pain in the arse.
    checknraise asked why so many strong players don't play in tournaments any more.One of the reasons is because rating floors are ignored. Tournaments that insist on high standards like Bunratty continue to flourish.
    You know how I know you're full of crap?

The Bunratty Major (1200-1600) had 9 1100s playing this year. One of them finished in the top half.
    The Bunratty Challengers (1600-2000) had 11 1500s playing this year. Two of them finished in the top half.
    The Bunratty Masters (2000+) had 9 1900s playing this year. One of them finished in the top half.

The reason strong players play in Bunratty is that yet stronger players play there, and it's good fun, and they go there every year. It has sweet feck all to do with enforcement of ratings floors.

I qualify to play in the Irish this year, by the skin of my teeth. My FIDE teeth, not my ICU teeth. I may enter. I sure as hell don't care whether I'm bottom seed or fifth bottom. I'll bet neither do our IMs.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭EnPassant

Isn't there a simple answer to the Irish Championship rating qualification?

Pass a motion such as this at the next ICU AGM:
    "Qualification for the Irish Championship shall be restricted without exception to
    a) players with a rating of 1900 on the latest FIDE rating list
    b) players who have a achieved an ICU rating of 1900 at any time since the previous 1st September"

High-tide ICU ratings are already used for some selection purposes - it should be easy to calculate for Irish Championship qualification also. It would keep the requirement to achieve a 1900 rating while not excluding someone who had a bad tournament just before the Irish Ch, and it would mean that you wouldn't have people avoiding tournaments in order to protect their rating.

It is quite clear from mikail's use of language that he is not the most articulate of people so I won't glorify his nonsense with a reply.
    En Passant, on the other hand, makes a sensible suggestion. I don't care if the rating floor is 1800 or 2200 ( in fact 2200 would be my preference) but whatever it is just let us stick to it, no nepotism, no special treatment for juniors or kids whose parents are sponsoring the tournament, no special treatment for gays, ethnic minorities, Travellers, handicapped people, people with blonde hair, blue eyes, big boobs, long noses, hairy arms ,dog owners, friends of the Controller etc etc,,,,,,,,,just pick a number,,1800, 1900, 200, 2100,2200, whatever,,,,,,,,,AND STICK TO IT.
    Two of the most enjoyable tournaments I played this year were Gonzaga and Enniscorthy,both full of kids and people playing up but all within the advertised criteria so no problem. What I object to is an Irish Championship being advertised as being for over 1900 (and this can be either ICU or FIDE) but then lower rated players who can't achieve that rating on either list being admitted.
    I am tired of this debate now. I wanted to play in the Irish this year but looking at the entrants so far I find it hard to get motivated and would probably be better off going fishing or playing golf for those nine days.

It is quite clear from mikail's use of language that he is not the most articulate of people so I won't glorify his nonsense with a reply.
    mikhail wrote: »
    You know how I know you're full of crap?
    Mod note - can we drop the aggressive posting style please? It doesn't help either side.

Two of the most enjoyable tournaments I played this year were Gonzaga and Enniscorthy,both full of kids and people playing up but all within the advertised criteria so no problem. What I object to is an Irish Championship being advertised as being for over 1900 (and this can be either ICU or FIDE) but then lower rated players who can't achieve that rating on either list being admitted.
    But you're still ignoring that the Irish Championship rules currently allow for wildcard invites, which negates your entire argument here.

• Advertisement

"But you're still ignoring that the Irish Championship rules currently allow for wildcard invites, which negates your entire argument here"
    And who proposed and passed that stupid rule??? Probably people with vested interests and little or no chance of ever reaching 1900. Most players are below 1900 so obviously if you let them decide the rules we end up with this silly situation we now have.Only 1900+ players should have a vote when it comes to deciding the rules for the Irish Championship, doing otherwise is like giving fish a vote on whether angling should be allowed or letting ducks decide when the shooting season starts.

Advertisement