Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

satellites below 85°W accessible?

Options
  • 10-06-2003 12:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

i've been exploring the possibility of getting american tv channel through satellite... but have found that its pretty much impossible for many reason (main one being the dishes are over the horizon and not in direct view?)...

but checking out the www.lyngsat.com website i noticed the dishes below 85°W are in viewing range of ireland..

so lets just say i wanted to watch the channels on the Nimiq 2 satellite (at 82.0°W).. provider name is Bell Express VU... and the users are Canadian:
    would it be posible?

if no:
    would it be posible if i were to get a big dish over here (1.2m?) point it in that direction (82.0°W) and get a canadian relative to sign up to the service (which i would pay) and send me the card to stick in the box. would i get the channels?

thanks
    larryk - "just a thought"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

http://www.geo-orbit.org/westhemipgs/fnimiqp.html

I'd say people in Iceland would be unable to pick it up, let alone Ireland. But who knows, maybe one of the people on the board here with a motorised dish could give a few pointers/break the bad news. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Sorry it will not work, its below the horizon

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The practical range is +/- 60 degrees from your location, so at 10W (about as west as it is without falling into sea), the range is 50E to 70W

But even that is a VERY big dish.

Noise gets dramatically higher as you get closer to horizon, (Thermal Earth noise and manmade interference).

The US "birds" have beams that point at North America. Even East Greenland doesn't work.

Example, Amos1 is at 4W, nearly overhead. But its two beams point to Central Europe and Middle East.

In East England with a GIANT dish you might get the Central European beam fringe, but not the Middle East beam.

Hispasat is 30W. It points for Spain, so it is fine here.

Telstar 12 at 15W has both european beams and american beams (Transatlantic feeds). You can only see the Europe beams, you won't get a sniff of the US beams. Even the Europe beams need a good dish as it is a "feeds" satellite mostly.

Astra 2D carries BBC, ITV, Hallmark, RTE and Disney plus some Sky channels. Though the satellite is at 28.2E, the beam points "west" so those in Central Europe are unlikely to get it (Perhaps with 3m or larger dish), even though they live at 28.2.

(I use the phrase overhead loosly as the Satellites are only "overhead" at the appropriate degrees E or W along the Equator. This is why our dishes point southerly at elevation of 24 degrees approx rather tha straight up at 90 degrees. In austrailia dishes are elevated in a northerly direction.

Maximum elevation is for a Satellite same degrees E or W as your location)
    So just because a Satellite is above the optical horizon doesn't mean you can pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

Perhaps someone can post the satellites that can be viewed here in Ireland, in addition to the dish size required ?
    I too am interested in picking up these feeds. I would be very interested in viewing the news feeds that come for the US networks, in addition to those for SkyNews/BBC/ITV etc.
    I have tried Lingsat, and also looked at the freqs. in WotSat but they deal with Northern and Southern UK only.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Lyngsat is OK.
    Most you can click on "beam" to got to satellite provider offical footprint.

Rules of Thumb:
    Basically if it is "Eastward" pointing beam, then next size up dish for West of Ireland compared with London. Often similar size to "North"

If Scandinavian, then much bigger often than "South or North" (Note on these the North East can use 80cm / 1m and south 1m / 1.2m).

Spanish services etc same dish roughly as Spain as we are roughly same East/West and not that much more northern.

Central Europe beams not too bad Dublin, but need maybe 1.2m in West.

Forget about Middle East beams. In Sth of England with BIG dish you can get some of the specifically Aimed at ME sats.

"Feeds" Satellites with Europe beam need about same size dish here as Sth England.

Only a rough guide.

Feedhunting you'd really want a 1.2m or bigger motorised setup.

As you go more west/east getting "blocked" by a neighbour's wall/tree/roof is more likely.

The info really is all there on Lyngsat, it just takes time to understand it.

With 90cm dish the 16E and 10E are poor but OK on 1m dish in Limerick.

You might want analog too.

Digital / analog sats worth looking at in Ireland
    10E
    13E
    16E
    19E
    1W One station PAL TV4 Sweden, Noisy here on 1m
    5W French Stations FTA in SECAM. Most of these are "Pay" on Digital.

10E and 16E very small number PAL analog, some part time.

Even non-feeds can be part time, so different stuff at different times. (Look how many channels on Sky are really shared)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Smeagol

Get a copy of TeleSatellite, comes with a CD by SatcoDX (World of Satellites). with Updatefunction.
    Sub.
    BTW. Dr.Dish will be back on 16.july from 1°w

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Originally posted by Smeagol

BTW. Dr.Dish will be back on 16.july from 1°w

ooh, i cant wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Peter

Pas 9 @ 58w is the most westerly sat that most people can pick up in Europe (and you can't get Sky Mexico), although when Estrela do Sul 1 is launched to 63w that may change.
    However you can get MSNBC/NBC (currently 2 feeds, one with a very low bit rate and poor video quality) on Telstar 12, CBS on 16e (just cbs news productions, Dave Letterman and Surviver) as well as plenty of Sport and WWE feeds on other sats.
    Even if you have just a Sky Digibox you can pick up NBC Late Night on Siruis 2 and see some US talk shows and American ads. Given the powerful European beam I'd say even a Minidish might be able to pick it up.

Peter

Advertisement