Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most under-rated Band?

Options
  • 08-06-2003 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

ok, so we have the most under-rated album........ how about the most under-rated band? personally i think a band called HIM are sooo highly under-rated.............. so under-rated that u are all probably all goin whaaa? they are Finnish and are fab! but sadly not well known on this small rock in the ocean. their latest album is out now, so y'all rush out and get it y'here!;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrNuked

The Flaming Lips ...playing Winness though
    Mercury Rev
    Tom Waits...um...and his band

this shouldn't be in this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Nada Surf
    Grandaddy
    Rival Schools
    Death Cab for Cutie

Oh and that band HIM piss me off :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

I think Mercury Rev are way overrated and weren't the Flaming Lips on 'Charmed' once?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

screaming trees....most underrated band of all time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭confetti

the good old Lemonheads

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

there were these 3 lads busking at the stephens green end of grafton street there two weekends ago, they were deadly and i bought a cd off them. they're called The Fluid Druids, cant wait to see a proper gig of theirs, anyone here seen 'em?

the fluid druids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrNuked

Who cares whether they (Flaming Lips) were on charmed or not? They're still good musicians.
    Grandaddy are excellent alright.
    Outkast too.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭davil

It's RUSH all the way - every single song of theirs is a prog rock delight. They're a very little known band from Canada and they probably are three of the best musicians in the world, especially Geddy lee [singer/bassist] who is amazing. Although his voice is a bit high pitched I still think he's the man.

If you don't like Prog well so, cos I do. :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Following along the lines of both ferdi and Hazy I'll say Thoria. Grunge / metal yoke from Coventr, England (I think). They rules.

http://www.thoria.co.uk

Some Mp3 of their's at me site:

http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~dregin/MP3/index.htm

They're wile sexy hi

Dregin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Mansun.

Simple as that. They were, are, and always will be the most under-rated band in the history of the world. Their album "Six" is the single greatest album I have ever heard, and I pride myself on my musical taste. I urge anyone to go out and buy (or download, depending on your morals) this album. Pity they broke up last month. All good things must come to an end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

Gotta agree with MrNuked, Tom Waits is my all time favourite.
    His romantic sleaze makes me want to go sleep in the gutter with the other raindogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

idlewild

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭doug1970

still making the best music of their career.........
    most underrated band ever.....

"THE ALARM"

check them out.

www.thealarm.com

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

Katatonia, amazing band - possibly the most underrated band in the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Specky

Yep, Tom Waits sparkles with genius, but Frank Zappa was IMHO the greatest artist/composer/guitarist/band leader of the 20th century that a reasonable amount of people have heard of but few know his music.

Prolific - I have about 25 albums but no-where near the full catalog.

Diverse - orchastral, Jazz, rock, blues, chamber music, experimental, you name it.

Collaborative - even played with the Chieftans....mind you, who hasn't??!

Talent discoverer - Steve Vai, Adrian Belew, Warren Cucurillo, Chad Wackerman, Mike Keneally etc etc etc

Best children's names in Rock, forget Brooklyn, he's got a daughter called Moon Unit and a son called Dweezil.

There will only ever be one like Zappa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 trickster

the velvet underground

em...shane mcgowan. but i suppose its his fault he didnt make it big...either his fault or boozes fault

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭doug1970

have any of you ever heard "the alarm" ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

I think "under-rated" is a bad phrase to use. A lot of the bands mentioned are simply bands that no-one has heard of, or heard littel of.

But that doesn't mean they are underrated. Some bands even choose not to market themselves outside their own country - doesn't mean we don't rate these bands, it just means that we don't know them.

If I was to talk of a band that was extremely under rated it would have to be...... fook, I dont know - how do you judge if a badn is underrated or not???

You can look at an individual artist such as say drummer from bon jovi - arrgghhh cant think of his name - but you all know him. For bon jovi he sounds like a ****e drummer - but if you saw his video any drummer would realise that he is in fact a quality player. Tico torress thats it isnt it?

Judging a band by their success is a bad way to class them as under rated - well thats my €0.02 anyway....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Specky

It rings a bell :D

sorry, couldn't resist that one!!

Yep, I'm old enough to remember them but I guess I'm also one of those who's underated them 'cos I can't really remember what they did....probably would if you jogged my memory I suppose....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

velvet underground, rush.. under-rated? pah take it to the rated-since-they-started thread.

and flaming lips werent on charmed, they were however on beverly hills 90210 back in '93 and played "she dont use jelly" :)

anyway.. my contribution:

mirah
    meat puppets
    sebadoh
    tripping daisy
    elf power
    delgados

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Hazy

never heard of 'the fluid druids' , luv to here there music though but they don't have any downloads on there website or anything. anywhere on the net i can hear them Ferdi?

i think the velvet underground are under rated...they could have been massive like the stones but i never heard any of their music till bout 2 months ago.
    i dont remember seeing their albums or songs on any 100 greatest lists and im fairly convinced theyr better than the spice girls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭razorfeather

the presidents of the USA

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

idlewild brilliant live
    ozma - check them out they are gunna be big soon click here
    weezer - gained fame for releasing the last album on the net still didn't stop the sales of it though great band but terribly under rated
    dashboard confessional great acoustic band

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

The Frames..
    ****in best band ever and they have bearly any popularity about the place..
    they ****in rock :)

cartman

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Thats Strange because all I ever hear is "The Frames this..The Frames that"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭saik

aye, frames are under-rated outside of ireland say. for me, an under rated band would mean "judged to be worse than they actually are". most underated? somebody who is universally despised/ignored for being crap but are actually pretty good. I reckon that would be the widest possible gap in approval? which would probably be some old pop act. or limp bizkit or oasis, or things that just aren't cool anymore like 80's music. what ppl seem to be posting here are good bands which aren't prominent.

if they were to post the actual "most under rated band" they will admit to liking, then they would be ridiculed. or not. all those embarrassing cd's you still love etc.

anyway, like the coward that i am:

imo "the best band that is the least prominent"
    is a crowd called V.A.S.T who got stuck on as a bonus on the arse end of the beach soundtrack. their only song worth listening to - touched, is totally class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 kipps2112

ARE underated and little known, they sold nearly 40 million albums, moving pictures is 2nd best selling rock album of all time, 60 thousand turned up to see them in Rio recently, SO underated (but I know what you mean)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

The Mamas & Papas...I love them! Michelle was a fine filly back in the day (and no thats not the reason i like them)

Advertisement