Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pace Digibox Fault- Please diagnose!

Options
  • 08-06-2003 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭

Guys,

My pace digibox (Silver-almost 3 years old-fast) has just given up the ghost.

Symptom-Bit of picture freezing ,breakup today and then No satellite signal received is all I get now.

No signal strength/quality
    Lock INd- Not Locked
    Net ID - 0000

I have confirmed no cabling problem by using my other digibox's connection. Same problem.

Called my usual guy who reckons the tuner is the problem. He can repair it himself. ie. take box fit new tuner and return it following day. Cannot do it on site. Cost will be approx €100.

Can someone concur that this is the likely cause and that I am taking the right course of action to fix it.

i.e. is it worth ringing Sky??

Would appreciate fast response as tuner will be ordered tomorrow morning.

THanks a lot,

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

As far as I Know for about €110.00 Sky will send out an engineer and they will replace your box for you.

The symptoms that you describe do indicate to me that your tuner has packed in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭jez

Thanks for that . However,could anyone(maybe Tony)clarify the 100% official position when something like this happens. Do I get a new box for a tuner problem or other big problem as part of the repair price or will the actual box sometimes be fixed?

This is the one area where we are caught out with Sky!!

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

Your repair fee will include anything that is wrong .He will check that there is no other problems ie lnb dish cabeling.He will swap box with what ever he has on his van.They will not repair your box and return it to you.At 3 yo they will probably just bin it.Try first to cancel your sub when you get through to the cancelation person they have the discretian to give free repair.If they dont offer free repair just ring back and ask for repair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭arkles

you could always take out a new sub in another persons name/mother/father/son daughter/dog.etc.
    cancel your own sky sub then get a brand new box for 15€ install ( in other persons name) if ur presently on the 60 euro a month sub ur laughing ( new box/ dish for 15 yoyos) if not downgrade after 1 month to family pack

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭eirman

If you try the above, make sure that you use a different phone number to the one you used on your present sub.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭jez

Lads,Just an update on my digibox. It is still out of action.Have been on to SKy.Basically they don't give a toss. They gave me two Dublin phone numbers to ring. (I'm in Luimneach).They did not know the estimated cost in Euros.(My tuner has gone).They were really helpful though in suggesting I went down to the cheapest package of €19 until its fixed!!! My digibox is only Sept 2000 and has had no abuse whatsoever. If they only last that long Sky are just a bunch of chancers.I have a ftv box as well but I can't chance putting my new type card in it. I'm starting to think of my Chorus friends again! At least their equipment lasts and they replace it when it breaks. Any comments ???

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

remember these things are built cheap - the idea is if you sell a milion of them then every 1c saved is €10,000 - it's cheaper to accept a certain failure rate... if they made them more reliable you would only go and buy the other brand... (or sky would on your behalf)

By comparison IDE Computer HDD's are much worse now than ten years ago in terms of quality and early failures..

do a search for satcure / repair etc. for more info

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

The people you talk to on the main number have no authority to help you out .They can either repair your box for 115 euro or offer you some one else to repair it .If you try to cancel your sub ,because of kit breaking down,They will put you through to the cancellation department.If you tell them you would be happy to carry on sub if they fix box they *might* offer to repair box FOC .If they dont cancel but the shock of going back to chorus ,or NTL might have you comeing back to Sky real soon.You have nothing to lose ring them!

Advertisement