Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog kennels

Options
  • 05-06-2003 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

my olds (parents) are heading away on holidays soon and are thinking about putting my dog in a kennel for the time they are away.i cant look after the dog cause im not living at home anymore.what are these kennels like?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

my folks doggie goes up to Corncrake in Wicklow

http://www.corncrakekennels.com/

He loves it up there. They are very good to them and feed walk and play with them regularly. I've heard horror stories about some kennels but it's got to be a good sign when the dog is wondering whether or not he wants to go home with his owner when they come to take him back!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

It'd really be worth doing some checking up on kennels you're considering, and visiting them to see firsthand how they treat the animals.

As commuterised mentioned, there are some around that are very good, but you'd want to be very careful to not bring your beloved pet to one of the bad ones!

I see from your profile you're in Limerick. Are you looking for a kennel closeby presumably so you don't have to travel too far?
    Perhaps someone here that's in the same area can offer you some tips on ones they've used.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I use a kennel in Ashbourne In Meath and have been doing so for the last 10 years.But I visited 8+ before choosing the one that I send my dog to.
    Things to check:

1.Heated sleeping area.
    2.Cleanliness of the dogs run etc.
    3.Vet arrangements.
    4.Make sure that the kennel asks for your dogs immunisation papers.This is to ensure that kennel cough among other canine diseases do not spread.If the kennel doesnt ask then they `re no good and dont care about the dogs`well being.
    5.Walking arrangements---Our dog is walked twice a day.
    6.Feeding arrangements.Can you leave your dogs favorite food or toy.
    7.Collection and delivery times.Some kennels insist on certain times to make themselves look good ie. clean up before people arrive to collect their dog.Good kennels will allow you to collect at any time so they keep their kennels constantly clean.

And lastly use the kennel for a short break first,then arrive early or unannounced to see/collect the dog.This will allow you to see the conditions your dog is kept in.For example when we first started I sat outside the kennels for to see if they actually walked the dogs and they did.One time I also arrived back 2 days early to collect the dog and he was being walked at the time,so the owner brought me to where they walk the dogs so I could collect him from there.Its all down to the kennels owners personality.If you get a good feeling from them then they are usually good to deal with.
    If you get a bad feeling for a kennel dont use it.
    Also prices
    Usually €7 for a small dog per night and 9-10 for a large dog per night.Most places do a set price for 2 weeks.Dont pay anymore than this as most places make little or no profit form kenneling as there is a lot of work involved in keeping so many dogs.
    Small kennels are usually better as the people have more time to look after the animals.Larger kennels (20+ dogs) are more in it for profit and accordingly charge more.

You do hear a few scare stories about kennels but if you go on peoples recommendations you cant go wrong.

Another option is a dog-sitter.They come to your house and mind the dog there.Sometimes they stay for the duration of the holiday and some only come at certain times to feed/walk the dog etc.
    Hope this helps
    Richie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

sorry I didn't check with area you are in, wicklow isn't really an option for you then.

Most places will let you visit them so you can check out then how happy the animals seem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Kalina

Great informative post Hellrazer, I might hi-jack your information cos I may have to consider a kennel for my dog for a short stay this year. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 pinkStorm

Does anyone know of good kennels in Cork? I ahve a dane and mastiff needing somewhere to stay in december for 2 nights.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Does anybody know of a dog kennel in the Sligo area please ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement