Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone into Wakeboarding?

Options
  • 03-06-2003 1:51pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Jayk? Tact?

I've been wanting to give this a go to see if it will satisfy my snowboarding habit inbetween yearly shredding binges :)

But I'm a big pussy who just wont get off his hole to go on his own. If anyone fancies giving it a go with me (or is a regular already) let me know.

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Replied in IRC - I haven't tried in years, used to try off the back of the windsurf rescue boat though on windless days.

I know there is the Kinsale crowd who do it, and after that I am not sure in Dublin, most seem to be private boats.

Maybe that crowd who do the adventure in Dublin bay in the big ribs might run it. Those boats have A frames at the back as far as I recall.

JAK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭shag

I've done a bit and yeah it should sate your snowboard jones. Tends to be costly though, but then so does snowboarding in general. Search the web and you'll find a few places in Ireland that do it.I t's bigger than you might think over here as the waterski crowd all got into it so it dooesn't rely solely on snowboarders looking for a summer buzz. Nearest place to Dublin is a place outside of Newbridge Kildare where some waterski mad farmer made his own lake on his land and runs two Aquanautique boats and all the gear. I jest you not. Very eat the peach indeed.
    I think I found a contact number for him on a british waterski site but good luck googling anyway. I've got a few grands snowboarding debts to pay off before I indulge so I wont be able to join ya I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Been doing it every summer since I was twelve DeV :D
    Yup, I'd definitely be interested if we can organise a group of us to go!
    Blessington could be good for that..

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Sweet TacT!

Blessington is far away but would be nice. I wouldnt mind cycling there friday evening maybe, wakeboard saturday and cycle back sunday.

Anyway, if you know a place, it might be fun for us to get a group together and go.

Whats the details of it? Costs? Can you just hop on the board and go or do you have to do anything first?

DeV.

dunno but I'll find out tomorrow cus I'm off out there for the day :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭oneweb

*bump*

I'd love to try this too :)

It is what it's.

well, runnin out the door for a day of fun at the lake, shall report back later on about how good it was

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Cool Tact, have fun :)

oneweb, the more the merrier!

I'm dusting the bike off for the summer as I am doing a charity cycle later in the year and I need to get fit. A lot fitter then I am now!

DeV.

Well, had an absolute blast and could probably go to bed right this instant!

Started off with archery in the morning at 11
    abseiling,
    Clay Pigeon Shooting,
    Horse Riding - Brilliant, they'll let you do whatever the hell you want, some nice jumps too!
    Kayak-ing Or windsurfing (choice of one or the other)
    finish up, have shower, get changed

bbq and beer afterwards (only drank 2 and I feel like I've drunk 5+ on any other given day..)

/me falls over

They only do powerboating/powerboating lessons there at the leisure/adventure centre I was at but was informed that Golden Falls would be the place to go to if I wanted to try out waterskiing/wakeboarding so I'll look it up tomorrow and see what I can find, right now it's time to vegetate.

g'luck on the fitness mission DeV :D

Right, we should definitely do this. TacT let us know what teh score is with the wkaeboarding place if you find out.

DeV.

• Advertisement

haven't had any luck so far, am still lookin!

Did a bit of Googling, gives a general idea of price etc.

Keep us informed :)

It is what it's.

aye aye, I know, but I was hoping for something relatively close to dublin tbh :(

Prices are very decent because I'll tell ya one thing, that engine GUZZLES the petrol required to tow our fat asses behind the boat :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭shag

Try this place it's in Naas bit easier to get to from Dublin.I'd be into going along too and could probably get another few mates to come. Post up prices dates etc and I'll confirm.
    http://homepages.iol.ie/~skels/

Right, I'm currently too busy to do this or organise it until at least mid august to early september but it will happen then if a group of us are up for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

Stick me down if you do organise it, sounds like fun and I want to find another board sport that I can beat Dev at. ;)

lol :D
    I will organise this for a weekend mid-late August!

Any chance I could ask for it to be after the first week in September (repeats) plez plez plez 05.gif

It is what it's.

I'm up for this, mid August to mid-late Sept is fine, in fact later might be better as I need to get cash together after hols in late July. :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Shad0r

Ah man I'd be on for that if I was there...

• Advertisement

Ok well if you all want to fire away and give your dates of availability I'll do my best to see people don't get left out :)

Sorry for the delay, trying to get some money back into my pockets since I got back from holidays. I'm off to Spiddal tomorrow morning for the weekend :)

So far we have

Myself
    FanJ
    DeVore
    oneweb
    Shaggy (+mates?)
    JayK

Are you all free to do this in the next 2/3 weeks?
    I've tried mailing the guys running that site for skels in naas but have received no reply, there's no content on the webby either really. Shaggy, have you got a phone number for them by any chance or could you ask Clive if he does please and we can get this trip on the go!

Hmm, there's a competition on next weekend, could be good, anyone up for headin down?

Yup, still up for this. Free as a 'burd' for a while :D Prob is I dunnay have transpoort nae wetsuit etc - would that be a major issue?

It is what it's.

I doubt it, I have a spare wetsuit myself if anyone needs it.
    They probably have gear for rental :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

I'm still up for it, how much do you think it will cost?

All depends how long you want to ride for but starts out around the 25E mark from what I saw at other places outside of dublin and depends what equipment you need yourself (hmm just the wetsuit, not sure about the wakeboard, if they rent it or whatnot)

I can't believe there's no contact number up on the website, I'll probably end up heading out there for the competition this weekend to check it out and get a contact..

*bump*

It is what it's.

Advertisement