Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Difference In Religious Backgrounds

Options
  • 02-06-2003 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

This may have been covered before or i may have chosen the wrong forum but do think there is a difference in someone from someone from a Catholic background and a Protestant one ? I ask this because i came from a mixed of both marriage that didnt work out and i am in a mixed long term relationship so to speak i am protestant shes a catholic. i really dont look forward to discussions about how to bring them in what relgion.do you believe in a protestant work ethic? i was in a protestant primary and a catholic secondry and i prefered the primary schools ethos more. your opinions please

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭sanvean

As I'm agnostic, I wouldn't have the problem you would with regards a mixed marriage (at least if my wife was protestant, as for jewish or Muslim, I'd have to think about that one). I guess you've to figure out exactly how important your religion is, and whether you can deal with your children being of a different faith to yours. Also, take into account any negative aspects of being a protestant in a predominantly Catholic country (although this point wouldn't be as important as it was say ten years ago). further to this, you also have to take into account the state of the Catholic Church at the moment: do you really want your kids to grow up in such a religion? (i'm not making judgements here, just a genuine question you should ask yourself).

Personally, although raised a Catholic, I would find the Protestant belief system more in line with certain aspects that I would find agreeable, even in religious terms (ie, a religion based not on church dogmatic but on a reading of the bible - at least that's what the aim is).

Advertisement