Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nwn 2/6

Options
  • 02-06-2003 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi guys, just had to tell you i wont make it tonight.
    See you soon

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

np doli,

Server is up and running. Myself, BC and flash are on the portal server already.

We'll be heading in about 9 or so.

If you are late. go into the magic shop (it's behind you when you enter the area), go left and down the stairs, then straight ahead to the pillar of light in the weird looking portal.

that is the campaign portal, remember the character you make there is the one you will be playing in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭zekiel

I havent played this game in a while..
    Truly enjoyed the game and see you guy's on wed! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭FlashBang

true, this campaign started off really well and it was heaps of fun!

Is it just me or are the campaigns always most fun from lvl1 to lvl 6-8 and then tend to turn into extremely "run-through-hack&slash"?

Maybe we should start new more often :)

cya
    - Flash

Low level campaigns are always more fun (in my opinion).

It's more dangerous.
    You have to play smarter to make up for the relative weakness of your character.
    Every bit of equipment is important.
    A magical item is a huge treasure.
    As you advance in levels the power of your PC grows more noticably.

Once you hit 10th level the character is set in it's ways. Each new level does not impact as much and the general power level of the group means that most things can just be plowed through rather than thought around.

for example: a 10th level fighter would not have thought twice about taking on 6 hobgoblins. A mage would just fireball.

However a group of 6 1st elvel characters have good reason to be cautious considering that one good hit, or a crit from any ONE of the hobgoblins would be enough to put him/her out of commission.

My personal favourite levels are 5-10. You are powerful enough to fight most things but you still haven't got enough abilities to be able to take on anything that you meet.

Enjoyed the game last night. Unfortunately I'm gonna miss wed and monday. If you finish the scenario on wed, post to the boards and either myself or Rev will get a scenario for Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I'll put the portal key into battlecheeses backpack so he can open the portal for u on wednesday.

• Advertisement

I dont know if this has been tried or if you guy's considered this.

In my pen and paper days of roleplaying, before we started a campaign we used to develop our characters a little, we would sort out a personality and background. This made our characters a little more real to the world around them and added a little more depth to the game. The main factor being that the game had a more serious but fun aspect.. In certain aspects I dont know how it would work within a game of NWN.
    But I thought it could be tried, perhaps it would be more suited to a persistent world scenario.
    If we each had a character with a different personality and background we could roleplay that character out banning out of game talk and try to add some real roleplaying to the game.:ninja:

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

We sort of tried no OOC speak not so long ago.. did not work due to module kept crashing but there was two parties and only party talk allowed... still was OOC though.

There are servers where its all roleplay and no OOC talking is allowed unless under certain circumstances. We could try it... then someone could be an evil bastard and lead hobgoblins to the rest of an almost dead party and it would all be in character.. mwuhahahha... :D

already gave BC a portal key :) great minds, fools and all that.

as to roleplaying:

In the PnP game I run, I try to let the players use their own personalities as much as possible. It gets over the whole problem of "my dwarf hates elves. They killed his parents. Oh look. That PC is an elf, I kill him. Sorry, just playing my character." Then the Elf Player brings in a dwarf hating half orc barbarian which prompts the arrival of a half-orc cleansing human paladin which leads to a huge bolt of lightning from the clear blue skies killing both characters and the palyers bringing in new pcs just in time for the session end.

:)

roleplaying is grand fun and all but people have different ideas how far it should go.

I'd do roleplaying too, no prob. I'm no party-pooper :)

but as soon as the first partymember attacks me cause "his character hates me", the fun is over and I'll whoop his/her ass. But I highly doubt that'd happen seeing that I already saved everyone's life at least once (thou also failed to do so once, sorry lolth, but you were already dead when your body hit the ground).

That's a big advantage of a cleric, I think: everyone likes to have him around :)

On another note:
    we talked about voice-chat last night. I'm asking my brother right now to set up a teamspeak-channel for us. Teamspeak only takes up very little bandwidth and has quite a good quality. Roger Wilco on the other hand uses only little bandwidth too, but the quality is ****e.

hmm... looks like he ain't at home right now...

here's the W32-client:
    http://www.teamspeak.org/download.php?op=getit&lid=28

W32-server: http://www.teamspeak.org/download.php?op=getit&lid=29

Linux-server: http://www.teamspeak.org/download.php?op=getit&lid=31

We can test that thing out this evening if you want. Would anyone volunteer to show up some time this evening?

cya
    - Flash

I suppose. Its hard enough to create a pnp game and have characters with depth, let alone an online attempt.. I'm yet to find an online game that has an element of depth with characters.. well I found it once but that was in a MUD.
    Perhaps its something that can be looked into in the future.:ninja:

Saruman, your example is exactly my point, if your an evil character and you perform an evil task during the game it should be considered in game and not that your being childish and trying to ruin the game for the rest of us.. which is what is considered most of the time.

• Advertisement

Flashbang I tried team speak before with my DOD clan and we found it to be very unstable.. crashed a hell of a lot. It might work for some time, but we would inevitably role back to the text based discussion. Although I would be willing to give it a go.

ah, and here we have the main problem with "role" playing if it is taken too far.

1. Player freedom:

You want to play an evil character. thats grand, but the party dont have to accept an evil character and if they are a good aligned party, they shouldnt voluntarily accept the evil person if they are roleplaying.

2. Group dynamics (oooh, big term)

Having a character inthe group that will screw everyone else over makes the scenarios harder and results in characters dying, losing xp, failing missions etc because of nothing ot do with the difficulty of the scenario.

3. grudge matches.

It happens whether you like it or not. This takes away from the party working together. everyone has to look after the PC being targetted and worry about one of their group dying when they might need him most.

4. Playing your class:

The Paladin kills a party member for killing an NPC. The druid, by rights, should switch sides halfway through a battle to retain his "neutral" outlook and both he and the ranger should attack the group if they start killing animals, even hostile ones. THe party rogue *should* pick peoples pockets and withhold loot.

doesnt sound like as much fun to me. THe scenarios are hard enough as they are without adding extra difficulty from the people you should be relying on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Theres a teamspeak server running already on kali.ign.ie which you all could use. I'll send the password to anyone whos interested. Time to freak out the Q3 players :)

All I can say to that lolth is... True!.:ninja:

send right on :) (if it's legal, that is)

But please nothing that might get you into trouble. That would really not be worth it.

My brother should be home again in a few hours. And if everything fails I can set a server up here.

btw, about teamspeak being unstable: there's a difference between program-problems and user-problems. Teamspeak never crashed or screwed up for my brother or me. I admit it's a bit overcomplicated to use, but it's very reliable.

cya
    - Flash

Advertisement