Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving House & Prem + Questions

Options
  • 01-06-2003 6:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Q1) Is it possible to take your dish with you and install it yourself?You could then notify sky of your new address!

Q2) If you do move and ring for sky to install a new mini dish how much is it and does it have to be paid my credit card?

Q3)Prem plus ques! Does it hafta be paid by credit card or can they invoice ya and you can pay by direct debit which is similar to what they do when you order a box office film?

thanx in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭Genghis

About Moving: This depends on whether you are out of contract or not.

If you are not out of contract, Sky advise you to leave the old dish, and then they will install you a new one at your new address (you pay for this, but it isn't a great deal, perhaps €50). The idea is that Sky would likely get the new resident on board with your old dish, I guess.

If you are out of contract, call Sky and tell them to cancel your contract as you are moving. The dish and box etc are yours to keep. When you get to your new address you can then ask for a new minidish and box (don't say you moved, act as a completely new subscription). There are deals for €15 now, but you may wish to look around - for my next idea, you may want to use an independent installer. As you are getting a new dish, don't bother with taking down the old one, just bring the box with you.

What you have now is one dish, one brand-new box, and one older box. You can use the second box as a back-up (in case the new one crashes), you could sell it (it would fetch maybe €100-200), or you could use it as a second digibox, which would allow independent viewing of different channels. If you want to do this you will need a twin/quad LNB, which is not part of standard install - though an independent would do this for you for an agreed additional charge.

When you have the extra box, you can decide what to do next - either us it as a FTA receiver (which means you get a few quality TV, and many poor channels - though all BBC's soon, possibly ITV in future, along with Sky News, CNN etc. You would also get 95% of radio channels, which is useful if you want to be able to listen to radio without tying up the TV). Alternatively you can request a mirror subscription (€20) - for which your second box would have same channl line-up as your new subscription, which means you can always watch two channels, simultaneously record and watch etc.

In relation to Premiership +, I think they take Credit Card only, and you must be a SkySports subscriber to get the best rate - this means subscribing to sports at the time of order / payment, you do not need to stay subscribed to Sky Sports all season to view Premiership+.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,760 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Sorry to dig up an older thread but....

I'm moving next month and plan to get Sky at my new address, BUT I wanted to leave the existing box/dish at home and transfer that account to my mam so that they can continue to watch. I've had it since 98 so the 12 month contract is long over :)

I was planning to then get a new dish/box (maybe if Im lucky I'll get a new panny which is WAY better than the Grundig I have now from all I've read :)) and possibly a mirror sub (with the other people in the new house) and resubscribe.

So..am I best cancelling the existing account entirely..telling mam to call em and set up an a/c of her own, or can it be "transferred" in the manner I describe - ideally I want to keep any viewing disruptions to a minimum, and secondly CAN I then apply for the free box/dish offer at the new house?

Thanks in advance guys....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭Genghis

I'd recommend a new subscription for both you and your folks. When you ring Sky to cancel they take a month to turn you off. Once you cancel, get your mam to ring Sky and order a new box - if they ask she just tells them that you left, took the digibox and all.

As long as you get a new sub for your Mam within a month, there would be no disruption at all - it would be just a case of unplugging the Grundig, and replugging the Panny.

When you move to your new address you won't have any difficulty getting the new box.

At €15/install plus free box and dish - the sale runs to the end of June - now is a very good time to do this.

Also, it might be best talking to an independent for both jobs - I'm sure you know Tony.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,760 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Thanks for that Genghis... :)

If I read it right then we'll have 3 boxes..the Grundig, whatever one they give my mam and the one I get in my new place?

Will they not argue the point tho when they arrive to setup at home and see theres already a dish there (and an old analogue one too)

Sorry to be a pain, but cheers..

Advertisement