Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hop to it?

Options
  • 30-05-2003 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭

Anyone like frogs? The IPCC are looking for people to help in their survey!

The Hop to It! - Irish Frog Survey is being organised by the Irish Peatland Conservation Council to find out more about the status of the frog in Ireland.

The Common Frog (Rana temporaria) is considered to be widespread and common in Ireland but vulnerable in the rest of Europe. The Common Frog is found in countryside and urban garden ponds and in a range of habitats from lowland farmland to mountain bog and forestry plantations. The frog breeding season may only last a few nights in a pond, after which the adults move away to forage for food on land in other types of habitat. In winter frogs hide in frost-free refuges, under tree stumps, in turf stacks or in rock piles, where they enter torpor until the following spring.

Around the world scientists are concerned about the status of many amphibians - which some people say seem to be declining. These people believe that ozone depletion, global warming, pollution, and loss of habitats may be causing their decline and even extinction.

We just don't know what is causing the decline - and we know even less about the frog in Ireland.

The reason for our Hop to It Irish Frog Survey is to get baseline information on frogs - our most common amphibian.

More on: http://www.ipcc.ie/aboutsurvey.html

I don't think the link to the survey forms and stuff on that page works so http://www.ipcc.ie/surveycards.html here they are.

Seems like a good cause :)

<< Fio >>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

I came across the first midges of the season yesterday and now yiz want us to wander the bog in search of frog !

Can you organise this again in september or april when we wont get savaged be the midges and the horselfies up there.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

I'm not organising it!

I think it's a year round thing anyway, check the site!

<< Fio >>

Advertisement