Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Shops

Options
  • 29-05-2003 1:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

Hey I dunno if its been mentioned before but is there anywhere in Ireland/UK you can buy binoculars .etc online?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭albertw

Originally posted by hacktavist
    Hey I dunno if its been mentioned before but is there anywhere in Ireland/UK you can buy binoculars .etc online?
    Thanks

Yep. For the UK your best bet is to pick up a copy of Astronomy Now and flick through the ad's. I have bought a fair amount of equipment from the UK online.

Since you are looking for binoculars then any good photographic shop will also be able to help.

There are several astronomical Irish shops that have websites, though do not have ordering facilities online. The same is largely true for the camera shops that I have seen here.

I've avoided the temptation to recommend specific shops, and not reccomend others, as I'm not sure where that would get with Moderators :-)

However, if you are considering buying something get opinions and quotes from at least three different places before you decide. There can be a very large difference between some places and others.

Cheers,
    ~Al
    www.irishastronomy.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

Originally posted by albertw
    I've avoided the temptation to recommend specific shops, and not reccomend others, as I'm not sure where that would get with Moderators :-)

Well I cant say for certain but I doubt they would mind it goes on on all the other boards, technology etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

If possible too, get a quality pair of binoculars. If it's going to be an alternative to a telescope, then you might as well make it worth the money, a nice pair of 10x50's should do the trick. Don't just pick up what looks cheapest and most convenient in any old camera shop.

You're best bet I think would be to maybe buy it in an astronomy shop, or at least consult with people who have experience with using binoculars for astronomy, before making a purchase. You may get a perfectly crisp picture testing them out on terrestrial targets in day time.. but I assure you, once you start focussing on stars, any imperfections that might exist will be magnified (excuse the pun). And a bad pair of binoculars does drive me demented anyway.

I might be overreacting, but there are a lot of similar, cheaply manufactured telescope lines on the market (that are very often sold in camera shops) that arent worth the money, and I wouldnt be surprised if the same is true for binoculars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

Just came accross this on www.skyandtelescope.com, its the webby for the american magazine, its pretty good. They usually have pretty well written, informative articles, and theres a bit of comprehensive reading available on the site. Anyhow, theres an article on choosing binoculars that you might want to take a look at.

http://skyandtelescope.com/howto/scopes/article_256_1.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

You would be well advised to steer clear of those cheap camera shop telescopes there are useless and only serve to turn people away from the hobby, Best you start off with a good pair of binoculars you will get far more enjoyment from these.

Ryan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Originally posted by hacktavist
    Well I cant say for certain but I doubt they would mind it goes on on all the other boards, technology etc.

In view of the problems here in the past I would prefer if you stuck to advise in the forum and then if you want to recomend a specific shop or whatever do it via PM you can talk about specific types of scope or equipment if you want. We want to keep away from recomending or not recomending any outlets or organizations if you please.

Thanks

Ryan

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

True. I agree as much as I'm tempted to promote my own organisation, I wont. But I will say that we very much recommend a good pair of 10x50s. Try to get decent ones recommended by some astronomy magazine. 5degree field of view is standard. 7degree is a nice added bonus. I suggest using an astronomy magazine as they will review binocs of astronomical quality. You'll want to get a tripod too. It'll make a huge difference in the amount that you will see.

The alternative is Image Stabalised Binocs but they are very much more expensive and they use batteries-not always great when you're out in a cold night stargazing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭albertw

Originally posted by Sev
    I might be overreacting, but there are a lot of similar, cheaply manufactured telescope lines on the market (that are very often sold in camera shops) that arent worth the money, and I wouldnt be surprised if the same is true for binoculars.

That advice does not mean that you should not buy from camera shops. _Some_ do have very good astronomical equipment and have staff that know what they are talking about.

Also there arn't _as many_ bad telescopes on sale anymore, just because its a telescope that you havent heard the brand name of before and is cheaper than another manufacturer doesnt mean its bad! Again check several magazines and user groups for reviews.

Cheers,
    ~Al

Advertisement