Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone play Operation Flashpoint???

Options
  • 27-05-2003 9:47am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone out there play operation flashpoint???

whats your view of it???

is multiplayer any good????

how the HELL doy ou fly!!!! i cant control the aircraft at all, very fiddly!!

what mods are good to download????

know of any servers that are useful???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

Anyone out there play operation flashpoint???

Yes, still... 2 years on.
    whats your view of it???

One of the finest games ever made. Regardless of how extensible it is, the campaigns themselves are brilliant.
    is multiplayer any good????

Yes. Though i've never played as part of a big team deathmatch, only co-op missions with 4 or 5 other people, which are a lot of fun.
    how the HELL doy ou fly!!!! i cant control the aircraft at all, very fiddly!!

Make sure you are fully patched up. Then it's q and z to control pitch, w and s to control thrust and a and d to control roll. Practice in the helis first.
    what mods are good to download????

The best is the US Delta/Ranger pack from Ballistic addons. After that, the nampack is good. I like Kegetys AK100 series addon as well. Too many to name really. I've attatched a file with the full list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

my experiences with OP-Flash...

look around, see tree's.. walk forward..hear shot...die..
    reload
    go back to line one.

No idea what i am doing wrong , but i prefer Ghost recon.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

I only bought the game 3 days ago, and ive managed two missions, tried practicing flying but threw 4 choppers and a tank onto the test mission map unfortunately the tank drove into my A10 as soon as it started to taxi, then when i tried flying the chinook the other choppers flew into it in the air!!! :)

i just find it hard switching from mouse look to the other view, never know which im in the chopper seems to follow the mouse crosshairs as soon as i release the control keys.

got patched up to 1.46, ive got cold war crisis version, shouldve got resistance tho :( what you guys think?

this is a tough challenge for a diehard half lifer! :confused:
    :ninja:

Oh yeah... WHY are the opflash threads not in the Games section???? strange....:rolleyes:

got patched up to 1.46, ive got cold war crisis version, shouldve got resistance tho what you guys think?

Resistance is pretty much essential.

Most addons require it... You can have pistols, the new island is by far the best (and has a nice big bridge to blow up), motorbikes, a prototype of the Ka52....

In the editor, you can set the status of flying vehicles from "In Formation" to "Flying" if you want to test out ground attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I go back to it all the time.. bought it when it first came out... excellent game.. never completed the cold war crisis campaigns due to a bug.. then changed computer and lost my save games somewhere... not sure where i backed up.. anyway started again from resistance.. great stuff... How can there be problems with flying? Its the easiest part of the game.. i use the mouse to fly and since i ALWAYS use the inverted mouse system in any game, its so natural and easy to fly for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

RE: Flying

Get yourself a joystick, ie: Logitech Wingman Digital Extreme 3D.
    Makes flying in Flashpoint and BF1942 far far easier.

Wook, it's not CS.
    If you go wandering about without considering the usage of cover, concealment, getting into position you'll be gruel everytime.
    It is a hard game, but it's also very rewarding when a bit of time is spent getting used to it.

RE: Mouse view
    Do you mean swithing between the mouse controlling movement and the mouse controlling the external viewpoint/where your "eyes" (not the barrel of the gun/cannon) is pointing?
    hit "*" on the numpad to change quickly.

The only problem with this game at lans is that whenever we've gotten around to getting the few that have it going, there's always a few who don't have it/don't have it installed and you ahve to wait for them to faff about.

Re: Resistance
    Bloody good add-on, really adds to the game in terms of features and performace, not to mention one of the best campaigns so far imho.

I'll be getting DSL in our house soon enough (was on 28.8k DACS before) so should be online.

I trust you'll all be joining me at some stage? :)

I'll be getting DSL in our house soon enough (was on 28.8k DACS before) so should be online.

I trust you'll all be joining me at some stage?

I'm on for it. If anyone is interested in semi regular play in the eveningtime, I'd be well on for it. Furthermore, if the mood takes anyone to play but they don't want to download the huge number of addons that you really need to enjoy the best missions, I may just be willing to sort them out with a cd.

(My addons and missions database is up to about 334 megs).

Aye, and there's always LANs :)

What sort of voice comms software is available today?

Opflash's built in stuff is fairly good... a while back i tested every available piece of voice chat stuff on my lan, this was using the standard dell microphones, fairly decent, quite big things.

netmeeting was probably the best quality, but it seems to lock the soundcard, preventing directsound from using it, so it was a no-go with games.

roger wilco was decent enough, though you couldn't bump the quality up for LAN use, so it was pretty difficult to understand, like a bad mobile connection.

opflash's is good, I don't know if they filter the sound to give it a more radioish feel. You can understand someone fairly well and the delivery doesn't lag too bad.

I find sticking to the menu commands works most of them time, but "1: Cease Fire!" just doesn't come across as well as "stop ****ing shooting me".

Originally posted by ssh
    I find sticking to the menu commands works most of them time, but "1: Cease Fire!" just doesn't come across as well as "stop fucking shooting me".

:)

I have a pair of realy nice Sennheiser HD500As for general listening, but I also have this old headset I got off a mate (when I was trying to play Falcon4 online). It's all mono, and has really short leads but the microphone is excellent.
    Must find a way to combine the two so I have the mic and the good headphones comfortably mounted on my head.....

• Advertisement

I have a pair of realy nice Sennheiser HD500As for general listening, but I also have this old headset I got off a mate (when I was trying to play Falcon4 online). It's all mono, and has really short leads but the microphone is excellent.
    Must find a way to combine the two so I have the mic and the good headphones comfortably mounted on my head.....

*whistles*... hd500s. never listened but I'd suspect they are good (and expensive). I have hd200s, which do the trick. Problem is if you are playing with someone in the same room as you, you can't hear a word they're saying, they are so well insulated.

What you need is something with two crocodile clips and a piece of wire coat hanger. You then clip one end onto the arm of the headphones and the other into the mic, and then adjust it infront of your mouth. I reckon it'd work quite nicely indeed. A good small standalone microphone is tricky to find though.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭BoobeR

TBH! get car mods, i got Ferrari Modena's to Skoda Espirits, BMW 3 Series' , LOADS of cars, in fast all of them, Subaru's and all, and i made my own town , with the AGS Tower set aswell, madness, downloaded Dr No's Island. mad stuff on LAN anyway,

!UP OPFLASH STUNTS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Dawg

OpFlash, easily one of the best games in years. Have the Gold Edition a while now, was thinkin of getting Resistance - must do after reading ssh's post. Only thing that stopped me was the bugs in Red Hammer. Got through a good few of the missions but there's a mission that I've completed about 5 times and nothing happens... damn thing just wont go to the next mission.

If I ever get a decent connection I'll jump at the chance to play it online.

I wrote a bunch of scripts for a voice recognition program to control the AI team members so I didn't have to bother with the menu's when playing. Still needs some work (been meaning to finish it for ages :rolleyes: )but you can find em here under the samples section.
    The programs main site has gone down for a month or two but if you google for voiceflux v3 you should be able to find a copy.

Cool :)

I don't have the processing power to run both Flashpoint and do voice recognition, but fair fucks to you for doing it.
    Takes the mickey out of the Socom ad campaign ;)

I was woken up this morning by a call from Joan at Netsource.
    Our line has been hooked up, a week early :)
    Going to go home now and try and properly configure it.

Should be online soon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Toto

Check out www.ventrilo.com for easily the best comms software that isnt too hard on the aul proccessor or line, I bought flashpoint 2 1/2 years agon and i havent looked back since easily the best shoot em up going!

Aye, I heard of ventrillo, I currently use TeamSpeak2 at GalwayLAN simply because I installed it on the server and it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Toto

For ease of functionality and better sound ventrilo kicks the arse off teamspeak acroos the internet(it uses a different codec),but seeing as though your running it on the lan I dont think you would notice much difference;)

I just throw on Speex 25.8kbit (OSS codec - www.xiph.org) and work away :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

operation flashpoint is brill cant be annoying whaen you get shot but the enemy is behind a hedge hiffen i mean hoe are you suppose to tackle it

Use cover, go prone, take carful aim and shoot them before they shoot you.

Much like Real Life™

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭wideband

love it....just got the resistance upgrade...."silkcut" is the handle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by SyxPak
    Use cover, go prone, take carful aim and shoot them before they shoot you.

Much like Real Life™

Thats pretty much it. Use cover, aim properly and conserve your ammo. A great game though the bugs were annoying. I never liked the flying and driving in it myself. On my 56k dialup net games were always very laggy and warped a lot so i never bothered with it online.

Advertisement