Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was all that STUDY STUDY STUDY business??

Options
  • 27-05-2003 12:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

Ok remember when you were young and the "Leaving Cert" was this big huge important life-changing exam that intelligent smart hard-working students who studied 5 hours every night in their dark little rooms for months on end did??? Well where the **** did that come from??

From my own personal experience and reading comments on Skoool.ie and this forum and listening to students on 2FM's "406 - Countdown to the Exams", the leaving cert is this annoying little fecker of an obstacle that gets in your way when you're tryin2 have some fun during your last few days of school ever.

It's something that steals a whole month out of your summer holidays.

It's something that has your parents at you for a whole year, constantly telling you to study.

It's something that you worry like hell about for the last two weeks in may and the first three weeks in June.

It's something you try desperately to cram for in those afore-mentioned weeks.

All in all, it's NOTHING like what it's made out to be when you're young!

And can I just say, if you're gonna do crap in your L.C., then do a PLC course. If you wanna go to college but are still gonna do crap in your Leavin, then just repeat the year. You don't even have to attend school at all during the year to repeat the exams in June 2004. You just apply to your local school so that you can sit the exams there on the day.

The LC is just a feckin obstacle that makes you feel guilty for not studying. Do your best and see what happens.

But if you do have to repeat, for Jesus sake don't make the same mistake all over again. Work hard, and get your points.

But if you're not gonna do well this year, don't worry.

I'm not too sure what the point to this post has been. But as long as you got something out of it..........

Good luck to yous all. I know I'm gonna need it.

Have a f*ckin brilliant summer. WE BLOODY DESERVE IT!

*after 13/14 years of Irish education, it's finally come to and end. Or has it? All shall be revealed, Wednesday August 13th 2003*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

Ok... I've got to admit, I haven't studied at all. Well... ok. I started studying today but I did less than half an hour of work. Thankfully I've decided not to go to college, but the thing is - I'm still confident that with a little work I'll be capable of getting decent marks.

Now am I being ridiculously stupid or am I right? Bare in mind I'm set for Maths cause I find it really easy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

heh, do u not think thats a bit of an ignorant outlook on the whole thing. yes you are young, but ffs, you have had fun for the years u were in school, its part of ur future planning of life.
    if u go around being told "dont worry bout the l.c its a load of cack" then you wouldnt do any work for it.

you get rewarded for all that hard work when u finish it, i have experienced it myself as have many boards users, and tbh, afterwards its nothing really, but while ur doing it, ur better to see it as being something big, that you should work for.
    Have a f*ckin brilliant summer. WE BLOODY DESERVE IT!

it does become one of your better summers, simply cause you know you have done the work.
    but yes, to all your l.c'ers, have a great time this summer, but do try your hardest

my two cents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭selling_irish

Originally posted by Doodee
    heh, do u not think thats a bit of an ignorant outlook on the whole thing. yes you are young, but ffs, you have had fun for the years u were in school, its part of ur future planning of life.
    if u go around being told "dont worry bout the l.c its a load of cack" then you wouldnt do any work for it.

you get rewarded for all that hard work when u finish it, i have experienced it myself as have many boards users, and tbh, afterwards its nothing really, but while ur doing it, ur better to see it as being something big, that you should work for.

Doodee, my point was that if people are worrying about the Leaving Cert, then dont, because it's too late for miracles to happen now. I was pointing out that there are many different options, besides getting high points in the Leaving Cert.

Many people haven't done much study, or any at all, throughout the past year, for whatever reason. Some people just plain can't study. My point was that those people have many options.

With regards to the "hard work" you say you did, then lucky you. Not everyone can handle the sort of "hard work" that is required to get into their chosen course in college, or even to get into college at all.

So while cramming at the end or studying throughout the whole year is a method that is well suited to many people, for some people neither method works. My point was that there are many options for these people who consequently wont get high marks in the Leaving Cert.

Thank you, and good night! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭adjodlo

Originally posted by selling_irish
    You don't even have to attend school at all during the year to repeat the exams in June 2004. You just apply to your local school so that you can sit the exams there on the day.

Holy shít this is the best news I've heard all day! Where did you hear about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭selling_irish

Originally posted by adjodlo
    Holy shít this is the best news I've heard all day! Where did you hear about this?

Yeh it's true. It ain't a myth either. I found out about it in January when I was going through my "gonna fail everything, gonna fail everything, gonna fail everything" negative phase, and considered doing it.

I asked my career-guidance counsellor if it was true, and he confirmed that yes you can do it.

Sure there are lots of people who do it every year.

The only thing is that you probably won't be able to repeat English, as you would have to study new poets and new books and plays, which you wouldn't be able to do on your own.

I think it's a cool idea if the idea of another year in school freaks the hell outta you like it does me.

However, if you're look for way more points that you're gonna get this year, I think you'd be much better off back in school.

If you can afford to splash out, the Institute would really be a brilliant option.

If you can't, then I'm sure your school will let you back in.

Otherwise, yeh: go for it. Stress-free, in your own time, relaxed-atmosphere studying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Harmo

Man reading this post has realy helped calm my nerves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

I'm seriously considering taking a year off and fukn off to america or something along those lines, regardless of how i do in the leaving cert.

My parents expect me to rank amongst the elite of the country, so not much pressure eh? Considering i've missed roughly 3 months of school since September due to health problems which kind of aided me a good deal in losing interest in studying this year altogether.

I'll easily get a B in both honours english and business, perhaps geography too. For all the rest i'm kind of totally screwed due to missing a great chunk out of nearly all courses.

Repeating could be an option, but my parents (the kind who try to live through their children) would take it as a personal insult, as all my siblings have achieved at least 560 upwards and went to trinity (nothing like it in my mothers eyes). But i don’t know if i could really be arsed to go through the process of another year at school. As i never put much thought into the cao choices, so that added year would give me time to investigate and get into a decent english course or music if i could find a school that does it. Perhaps even get near the 600 points region, as i got the second highest grades at my school in the junior cert, alas its been downhill since.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭hoggie-bear

ah feck it... nothing can be done now its like 1 day away.... if ya think about it 50% is all about pot luck.. no one knows every single thing in all their subjects... its just about hoping.. what ya do know will come up... once its over think of the results if you get it congrats if no its no the end of the world... my heads melted over these exams but its too late know.. if i really cared and really wanted my points i would have studied from day one.. but you cant helo but have fun in your last year of school.... we'll have forgotten about the exams this time next year
    good luck to everyone anyway.. i am certainly gonna need it but its the looking forward to the major piss up for the summer thats gna get me tru it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

A five year old bump? What is this madness?!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭TheAmateur

The Walsho wrote: »
    A five year old bump? What is this madness?!
    Avaunt Ye Devils! 'Tis a sign from the Heavens! The Thread Necromancer has returned!:eek:
    also, bump.:D Maybe the words of wisdom above still have relevance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

Haha I read this and thought someone just copied and pasted it from some other random site.. 2003? :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

5 years. Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

5 years, I wasn't even near born registered then. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement