Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pressure shots...

Options
  • 26-05-2003 11:07pm
    Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭

Here's the most pressure I've been under...

Early in 1996, my 2 brothers and myself got a chance to play the west course in Wentworth. Around that time we used to play pretty regularly though 2 of us weren't members of any club so we hadn't a handicap cert.
    My brother who was a member in a UK club (Worpelsdon) greased them to allow us to play (he is the respectable one - us two were muck savages in comparison).

Bernard Gallagher was the Pro there at the time – he had just been the Ryder Cup captain the previous autumn (when Walton was the winner). We were talking to him a bit in the shop….

So when it was our time to start, he comes out to watch us to make sure we could play. In Wentworth, the first tee is elevated above the entrance driveway and there’s a guy in a cabin that operates a traffic light stopping traffic when people tee off.

So I’m first up – Bernard Gallagher's eyes burning a hole in the back of my neck... and there’s a guy in a Porsche stopped at the lights too ;p Nerves... I just had to pull on it.

The 3 of us managed to hit decent drives up the fairway (rare occourance)… the first is a par 5 (except on the Tour it’s a 4)… hit a 3 wood on in 2, 2 putts for a birdie… savagely downhill from there.

One thing that’s pretty cool though is that there’s a ‘half-way hut’ after the 8th on the West course. Most everyone stops off for a sausage sandwich and coffee… sure does help when you’re playing like a slasher.

Advertisement