Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

eurovision RTE and Eircom Rip Off

• 26-05-2003 12:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I hope this is the right forum to post this. I heard on this mornings news and read in todays Indo that all of us who voted in Saturdays Eurovision (at 15c a pop) did not have their votes counted. Eircom couldn't provide RTE with the results in the time permitted, so RTE used the votes from a "backup" jury. This means thousands of us who voted wasted money in doing so. What I want to know is why RTE haven’t admitted to this yet (I've rang them) and who has pocketed the money. I've already been into O2 for a refund (they're investigating the issue).

What does everyone else think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

I didn't watch the Eurovision, but that sounds Irish enough to be true. Pathetic, fair play for kicking a stink up too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

It's on the RTE site now :
    They still appear to be keeping it under the carpet. Not many will notice this!

http://www.rte.ie/arts/2003/0526/eurovision.html

RTÉ is conducting an investigation into why the Irish phone vote wasn't ready in time for the results of Saturday night's Eurovision song contest.

Ireland was third in line to call in votes and a decision was taken that if the record of the phone vote wasn't ready by the time the second country were giving their results, then the vote of a back up jury would be given.

Eircom say their phone results were on time but as a gesture of goodwill they are not going to charge for the calls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

Okay, so when do we get to see how different the phone vote was from the backup jury's selection?

With only three points separating the top three, it could easily change the final result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Well thats just it! Offical EBU rules state that after 3mins of voting, RTE have to Fax through initial votes. If they change after the 5 min voting period, then they re-submit. That way the EBU know who's won before the first country gives their vote. Now I'm sure if the televote's had been counted, we would have given say tATu more then 3 points, say for example 8points, that would have meant Russia would have won overall by 1point, rather then loose my 3.

Could it have been fixed?
    Eircom insist they provided RTE with the results. RTE deny this. No other news channel is picking up on this. Could it be a media blackout? I tried to raise the point with the Gerry Ryan show today, they never returned my Call. The service provider, Eircom Response wouldn't answer any calls today. Most people aren't even aware of this. Could RTE be covering it up? I wonders.........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

Eircom said they would refund all the calls, would you trust them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Originally posted by de5p0i1er
    No, wouldn't trust them. If I cared about the Eurovision and if I had voted then I would also be looking for further compensation for not being able to have my say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The back up jury gave Austria 10 points??????:confused:

But pamla flood did well on the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by Elmo

Maybe they were pissed?

I think people gave Austria points for the entertainment value of there song. come on, i laughed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The back up jury must all have been againist the War on Iraq, as well. :D

Or maybe we should just all go out a buy the UK losing single.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭Fence

Originally posted by patrickmooney

Eircom insist they provided RTE with the results. RTE deny this. No other news channel is picking up on this. Could it be a media blackout? I tried to raise the point with the Gerry Ryan show today, they never returned my Call. The service provider, Eircom Response wouldn't answer any calls today. Most people aren't even aware of this. Could RTE be covering it up? I wonders.........

there is an article about it in the Irish Times today, small one. Says that they had the back-up JIC there was any problem and although they did have the actual votes from the phone poll RTE didn't get them before a certain deadline they fixed themselves.

Cya
    Fence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Elmo
    Ah, I didn't know that. Explains Terry Wogan's comment about the lunatic fringe being alive and well in Ireland. Just in Montrose it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Ro

Seems the Russians aren't happy with Eircom either...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/2947872.stm
    Channel One "officially declares that it discredits the voting results of the Eurovision song contest 2003", it said in a statement.

The channel broadcast the show in Russia and is a member of the European Broadcasting Union, which runs the contest.

If Ireland's public phone vote had been able to take place, Tatu may have got more points, it said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Snowball

Originally posted by de5p0i1er
    well, they said they would not charge for the calls. A big diferance. I suppose its up to the people who voted to complain if they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭three

I voted on my mobile on Saturday and I got text message from meteor saying they've refunded my money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭embraer170

At first I was pissed at that news but at least it probably prevented T.a.T.u from winning :D

Now I am just wondering what on earth the jury was smoking to give Austria 10 points?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Meteor are also refunding costs of calls.

Ireland is not great with technology. Was there not troble with "Your A Star" votes?

Did somebody panic reading the text voting manual?

Advertisement