Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reccomended locking tuners for Fenders?

Options
  • 26-05-2003 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

Any opinions on locking tuners? Preferrably from gigging musicians. The main brands I've come up with are Schaller and Sperzel, but the reveiws on the net just say they're "great" or "awsome", or else it's not from a gigging musician (my heads were fine for practice, but not good for gigging).

I currently have locking tuners which snap the 1st and 2nd strings if overtightened by a fraction, so I'm looking to upgrade this week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Smiler

Locking Tuners

Do you mean locking nuts?

Not being smart just not sure what you mean

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

No, locking tuners are a workaround for anyone who finds locking nuts inconvenient. The locking is done at the machine head, allowing you to tune while locked (in some versions).

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=917519 This is the one I have at the moment, which snaps the 1st and second strings (view in MSword or OpenOffice).

Another brand I've since come across is Grover, but again, no comparisons or reviews worth while.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Smiler

Originally posted by merlin_bar
    No, locking tuners are a workaround for anyone who finds locking nuts inconvenient. The locking is done at the machine head, allowing you to tune while locked (in some versions).

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?s=&postid=917519 This is the one I have at the moment, which snaps the 1st and second strings (view in MSword or OpenOffice).

Another brand I've since come across is Grover, but again, no comparisons or reviews worth while.

That's a pretty niffty idea, can't believe I never heard of them before.

Anyway I can't really offer advice about them so but what I will say is I have found that as the price of guitars goes up the chances of a string slipping goes down.

I used to use Ibanez guitars with Floyd Rose locking systems, but I found that on stage you were knackered if something slipped or a string broke as the whole fecking thing would go out.

So then I started playing a standard strat, which was fine but some strings would slip sometimes. I then bought s Les Paul & never played another guitar since. It never slips. Ever........

Just my 2 cents anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

Was the Strat American or Mexican or some other? The reason I ask is that I've been trying to get tuning down to an art lately, and I've found that it comes down to the following:
    1. Machine Heads - Locking or sturdy
    2. Tremelo system - I blocked mine up.
    3. Pickups - noise can give inaccurate readings on your tuner.
    4. Intonation
    5. Strings - Fender bullet ends supposedly hold longer.
    6. Fret condition.

Id say the only problem with the strat was that you needed new machine heads, and to block up the trem system.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I'm getting an RG270DX and I think it has the original locks. Are the original Ibanez locks any use?

• Advertisement
Advertisement